High vs low end rods these days... Is the gap narrowing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Codioos, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

There is NO SILVER BULLET rod. I get this.

2. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

a LOT of pricey rods and reels can be had "lightly used" for a fraction of the price on ebay. And the best part, is that nobody has to know you bought it used off ebay

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I always bought what my wallet could afford. I don't have any high priced rods. The most I ever paid for a rod was 210 bucks. It now sits in my closet and I fish with a free rod and a 179 buck rod. I don't need a high end rod. If I had one I probably wouldn't fish with it because the way I handle my rods it would of been broken by now. You could say I'm a little rough on them.

4. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

I could use the same words for some sunglasses I own.

William Wallace likes this.
  5. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

The TFO BVK performs almost as well as rods 4x the price.

nailbender and Steve Knapp like this.
  6. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

...but I do own a few 4x-$ rods.

7. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

I was on a soap box yesterday. I'm not ready to sell my green stick but I'm also not ruling it out. It was nice to think out loud and get some honest opinions about the gear we use. Thanks for the .02

8. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Spend your money on casting lessons and learning how to read the water, the rod itself is still controlled by the angler. You wouldn't give a 16-year old kid the keys to a Ferrari for his driving license test, would you?

scottybs likes this.
  9. rory

rory Go Outside

Spend 50% of your budget on casting lessons.

10. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

even though i'm generally a skeptic on the roi you get from spending big, derek makes a point that i saw illustrated recently. my son served as a gillie at the youth fly fishing academy in june and i was lucky to spend the last two nights of the camp in lacey with everyone. during that time their casting instructor Robert Gerlach held a casting competition for all of the campers. if memory serves, the longest cast from a camper was 76 feet using a 9 foot six weight. after they were done, i stayed behind with my son and a couple other gillies trying our hand on the course. i could do 70 feet with my deeply ingrained bad habits before fatigue and frustration lowered my distance even more. the gillies each did about 80 (both graduates of robert's instruction in prior years at the camp). we stayed out long enough that robert eventually wandered back over to join us. with very few false casts and what appeared to be minimal effort, he fired out almost 90 feet on his first effort, gave the gillies a couple pointers, and moved on. my son took note, picked up the rod, and added 10 feet to his cast immediately. after watching all that transpire over the course of about 2.5 hours, it's easy to imagine how, in highly skilled hands, a 10% advance in technology could translate to a 3x-4x upper in value - if you really had the powers to summon the rod's full potential and it meant that much to you in practical angling scenarios.

Chad Lewis and Derek Young like this.
  11. stilly stalker

Ive never had the chance to cast a Greys- price point is competitive with the Sage Motive or the Beulah blue water- have you cast either of those and how does it compare?

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I understand casting long distances is fun. But how do you control the fly you have out there 90 feet. That's a lot of fly line to play with. Then if you add the leader it's 100 feet.

David Dalan and Codioos like this.
  13. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Add conflicting currents to that. No offence, but what good does casting 70-90' matter unless you're on still water? Pretty sure that why I own a two hander and save my shoulders.

14. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Fishing Puget Sound and being able to squeeze out 60-70 feet on a good day has left me frustrated that there were fish 20 feet out of range, but usually 60 feet will get the job done. So if the beach is your primary fishery, it very well could be extremely important to you. I've never done it, but from what I hear it is important in fisheries like bonefish, tarpon, permit, corbina, etc

15. stilly stalker

for me, if Im not sight casting most of my casting is 80+ feet out into the surf. That extra distance makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE if the trough or beach structure youre trying to reach is beyond your casting range.

Also, being able to cast further means that your control is better, so you should theoretically be able to cast much more accurately at 70 feet.

Still water fishing I often cast 90feet+ well ahead of cruising carp so I can det up my presentation better.

River fishing with a single hand I still usually dont cast more than 70feet, but I can mend with a single hand well, so I sometimes do cast further

16. tommyhawk

tommyhawk New Member

My wife ordered me a spey rod from a fella named Jon blanco (blanco custom rods) out of Salem oregon at a bargain price. I fished dollies up north on the opener with bill herzog and he was very impressed. Mine is the 12' 7wt. Model and cast beautifully for a short spey, I have no problems hitting 75-80 ft. Into the wind with a snap t. And the same on the opposite side with a double spey. A custom stick at a bargain price. He will continue to get this beginners money.

sopflyfisher likes this.
  17. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Codioos,

You appear to have a lot of angst about these fly rods and price points. Try this: buy from the used market a couple Fenwicks, an FF75 6 wt and an FF85 8 wt. They will cover all your freshwater fishing except chinook salmon. They used to sell for $35 -$75, depending on inflationary year. Many, many anglers had the equivalent of those two fiberglass rods - and those are very good rods from their day - and enjoyed fishing trout and other species in rivers and lakes without ever feeling like they spent too much or spent too little. Rich and poor fishermen alike used those rods, never feeling the need for something better. Some people with the extra money sprang for bamboo rods, for the coolness factor and the joy of casting them, but not because they were foolish enough to believe they were better than their modern fiberglass cousins.

Use those two glass rods for 100% of your fishing for two full years, or until your angst has vanished and you reach a Zen-like state and decide to just buy rods that you can afford and that are a good match for your casting style and stroke. Go find another mole hill to make a mountain out of.

Sincerely,

Sg

Randall Clark likes this.
  18. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Like I said before, I'm not trying to throw anyone's pride and joy manufacturer under the bus. Really I'm just questioning myself and my own logic and to bring it to light. Sometimes writing it out helps me to brainstorm and come to a conclusion I otherwise may have missed.

I was ranting, yes. But it's not really about the price. It's the gap between modern day fly rods. Components, cork, metals, fancy wood inlay, hybrid graphite, etc seems to cloud the market. Not all rods are equal, I agree 100%. The issue isn't what I can/can't afford. What if I told you I purchased my B3x for $190 brand new with a warranty? I've owned a slug of green sticks and felt cool bragging about it; the green stick cult. I don't feel indiffent yet I can't help feel like I'm better than the guy with a $20 rod. And that isn't cool, koolaid.

I love my B3x, and I have since the day I first picked it up. That's not the issue. But I also love my cheap CT or the old 8' Shakespear that I started with but smashed into pieces on a rock. The very first rod I fly fished with was a beat up hand-me-down Eagle Claw spinning rod that I flailed around to present a PT bead-head to a Crappie on mono line. And I'd never heard of fly fishing.

I'm not looking for any special answer here. The purpose of this thread was to discuss the reasons we go the extra mile and why. Why? It's the same reason there are different makes and models of automobiles and bikes and pizzas and.... It's an invitation to join me in my fray.

19. little rod

little rod Member

I read an article on a 5 wt shootout a few years back and a very inexpensive rod rated very high. I bought it and I will compare it with the Sage ONE any day, as my friend has one and I have thrown it quite a bit. ...and yes it will throw all the line which when you're fishing the upper Columbia from the bank comes in very handy and all your friends can't make that cast. They sit down and you are catching fish, big fish.

20. chief

chief Active Member

Is a $100 bottle of wine 10x better than a $10 bottle?
    Is a $600 room at a 5 star hotel 6x better than a $100 room at the Best Western?
    Is a $100,000 Range Rover 4x better than a $25,000 Subaru Outback?
    Is a $800 Winston B3x 8x better than a $100 Redington CT?

The wine will still give you a buzz. The hotel room will still give you a bed to sleep in. The car will still get you to the river. The rod will still catch fish. The more expensive option is not always better, but some people believe the difference it makes in their experience is worth the higher price. But it also depends on your means and where you are in life. If you feel guilty fishing an $800 rod, you probably shouldn't be buying one.