High vs low end rods these days... Is the gap narrowing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Codioos, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Honestly how often do you guys think about your fly rod while using it? If I am thinking about it, there is probably something wrong with it, and I'm going to sell it.

chewydog, David Dalan and Codioos like this.
  2. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

I'm no expert at fishing so I can't comment with much authority on it, but on the golf front I have a set of irons that consistently saves me shots but cost 3-4x as much as ones off the shelf. The equipment alone has turned rounds of 72/71 into 69/68s multiple times. Yes I can still break par with other clubs but that's not the point. I simply can't make the same shots with some other sticks. To me, this difference alone is worth the price jump. I'm sure fishing equipment is quite similar.

Yes you'll run into that jealous dude who will treat you poorly for your nice shit, but fuck him anyways. That being said, the Douche with a Ferrari who looks down on Porsche drivers because their car is 'inferior' is just as bad, if not worse.

If you can afford it and it makes you happy, buy it. In the end, that super nice gear will still be catching you fish in 40 years. Not a bad investment

3. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

Never. I've got an old Orvis HLS 4wt and a rocky mountain 6wt and they are all I've fished for years. New high end rods are much like cell phones in my opinion. Outdated, obsolete in 8 months, gotta have the new, improved, Bla Bla Bla.

Sent from my little square phone thingy...

Codioos likes this.
  4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

It's all about prioritys at least it is for me,when it comes to trucks & sporting gear. I buy the best I can at the time and then use it with respect for 15 years or so. That's why I'm still fishing sage brownie Spey rods & driveing a 2001 Toyota stump jumper. My weakness is vintage fly reels & I have way more than I need, but I like them & can afford to have & enjoy them. Therefore I maintain you should buy the stuff that will make you happy & that you will still be enjoying in twenty years ,it far cheaper in the long run than discarding stuff to keep up with the current trends.

shotgunner, Codioos and sopflyfisher like this.
  5. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Most rods are just about the same. There is some amazing technology that is available, if you wanted it, that allows you to put the power all the way to the tip of the rod like nothing else you have used. Wait til you get a hold of some of the the new nanotube technology, that you can't physically collapse the tip (as a human) powering into a rod.

David Dalan likes this.
  6. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

I'm with Jeremy. I think the real gap in performance between rods is not huge.

(warning...my comments below generally wander away from what the OP asked...)

I also agree some previous posters comments about skills. I had no fly fishers to teach me the craft and had to figure this out on my own over the years. I learned a ton about angling from family and friends, but not about fly fishing and specifically casting. Sure I figured out the single pretty early, but double haul casts are still amateur hour for the most part.

Two handers was even worse. I never saw, or even heard of anyone around me fishing two handers in the late 90's. What a shit show that was. I even put it down for 3 years or so. Then I took another stab, figured out matching lines to the rod (that was a huge part) and then got able to fish it. And then I fished with a few people who knew what the hell they were doing...cleaned a bunch of stuff up quick. Last season I gave a two hander to a buddy and gave him some casting tips and in 20 minutes he was casting more or less as well as I was after 5 years of trying. Ugh.

The biggest value of two handers is an ability to do a few things effectively...

1. Make pretty long casts with 0 or negative back cast room. Last week I was in the bushes (literally) and still able to make 50' casts. About 6' of the rod tip was beyond the brush. Casts were not pretty, but I was in the fish.

2. Make "average" casts with virtually no effort. 50-60' is probably towards the upper end of most of my casts (I could probably get 80 or 90, but not consistently). At the end of 4 hours or 10 hours, I'm not tired or fatigued at all. Double haul for 10 hours and my arm will fall off. Floating tip or T-14 makes no difference.

3. Room providing, I can overhand a 13' rod and throw line roughly "infinity" feet.

I know this is just a matter of opinion, but I think distance is really overrated. I've hooked three fish in two days on the swing on the big water of the Clearwater, and my casts were probably all 50' or less.

I'm not saying others don't rock the steel on the big waters with 90'-120' casts, they certainly do. I'm just not sure its necessary. But being necessary is probably not important. Its bout having fun and doing what you want. So I don't begrudge folks with the skill to fling a long line.

Sorry for rambling :)

Kyle Smith and underachiever like this.
  7. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

That is why I love going out one day with an old refurbished Wright & McGill fiberglass then right out with my $$$$ oney combo, why cause I can. Each cast great and I look good also

William

golfman44 and David Dalan like this.
  8. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

You cast everything great hah. Could probably hand you a 13 ft tree branch, a light scandi, and boom 80ft cast.

9. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

3x the priced rod may not give you 3x the improvement- totally true

BUT- if it's not a strain on your wallet, and 3x the price gives you 20% improvement.... And that 20% improvement results in more fish, then why not go for it? Yeah for most situations just about any rod should do, and yes, unless you're REALLY pushing the limits of your gear, you'll probably not notice much of a difference.

Really- it's all about casting as many rods as possible ( preferably in real world situations) and picking what works best for you.

I have been in situations where I've chosen the high end rod and I have been in situations where I've chosen the lower end rod. I don't give a shit what other fishermen think about the gear I use- preferably I never get close enough to another fisherman for them to "meat gaze" my gear!

Down here, there are a LOT of Orvis fans and Sage isn't nearly as popular- but I'm not going to go all Orvis to fit in.

David Dalan and golfman44 like this.
  10. mgamby

mgamby Active Member

I don't care where the rod is made.
    I don't go out to the river, to tell everyone within earshot, where my rod was made.

I care about the cost, and how well the rod perfoms.
    I care about the customer service, and the warranty process.

In my humble opinion, Echo wins hands down.

Especially in customer service. Great family run operation, with employees who love what they do, and are passionate about making sure you love the product they send to you.

THAT is what impresses me.

11. stilly stalker

what makes them so much better than Sage? the $15 difference in cost of warranty repair?

I have nothing but amazing things to say about Sage's customer service, in fact I have a rod in for repair right now. AND they are buildin gme a spare tip for the Xi3 while its being repaired.
    They are prompt to return emails, they always answer the phone, and they give me updates on the status of my rods whenever I call to bug them. I really dont see how their service could get much better.

In fact, while I was on the phone with them, inquiring ablut getting spare tips built before I shipped the broken rod in, the guy I talked to on the phone told me that if I noted his name on the shipping label, the rod would come right to him, and it would knock a week off the turnaround time for getting my rod back. Thats pretty great direct customer service.

Im not saying Echo isnt good (I havent had to send in my Echo for repair yet) but what in yhour mind makes their service stand out beyond the rest? and what other companies have you dealt with as far as warranty service goes?

Gary Knowels likes this.
  12. mgamby

mgamby Active Member

Because of their customer service. Sounds like Sage has good service too. I wouldn't know. I DO however, know Echo. The service they have provided, is outstanding.

And you haven't had to return your echo back? Isn't that a good thing?

I have nothing against Sage. I have never used one. Because I am sold on Echo. I have never needed to try anything else, because I was happy with the way they treated ME.

I didn't realize this was a contest..... I thought this was based on personal experience.

Drifter likes this.
  13. stilly stalker

i was just asking about personal experience.
    its not a contest at all- just wondered what sold you on their service.

i do like my echo- but at 13.5 feet of 8 weight spey, itd take a lot to bust that rod.

mgamby likes this.
  14. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

17 year old maybe! ;-)

The gap is closing yes, however these types of threads continue to be beat to hell. I personally have quite a few Winston's, Sage's, Redington's, and TFO's. I bought them all on clearance, and I like them for each for various reasons. I will say that Winston has the best "craftsmanship" and they're just pretty rods, IF you can appreciate them. That being said, I bust my TFO, it is "fixed" in a week. They all have their strong points and I don't judge someone for what their rod is… character…thats another story.

15. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Best advice of this entire thread.

Bottom line, do whatever you've gotta do to find that zen...it might be different for different people but once you find it, you'll be spending less time on Internet forums complaining about your equipment.

16. Just.Mark

Just.Mark Member

So on the echo vs sage thing, I recently broke 2 rods in one trip. One a echo and one a sage. The sage cost me like 60 dollars and I had to go on the Internet and register and print some stuff out. The echo I printed out the warrenty paper that basically just wanted my return address. At the same time I mailed both rods paying for cardboard tubes and 30$ for the echo. 4 days latter I had a new echo rod case and a repaired rod. Sage took 6 weeks.

The only reason I own the sage is because I walked into cabelas and it was 50 percent off and brand new and I could test it with several different lines.

I realized from that experience that the rod is only part of the equation and that the line is in my opinion more important then the rod. Some thing to consider. When shoping for rods shop different lines and buy them as a combo.

stilly stalker likes this.
  17. stilly stalker

Yeah this! Test cast rods with as many different lines as you can

18. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

If I buy another rod, I believe I have enough, of course you can never have enough fly rods, This thread is making me confused. :D

19. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

If I were to drink/share a $100 wine the next bottle I'd be opening is 2-Buck Chuck.

20. chief

chief Active Member

I know it doesn't change your experience, but to be fair, Sage actually repairs your rod. Sometimes they have to make a new section or two and match it to your existing blank. Echo grabs a replacement off the shelf and mails it to you. The Echo system is great unless you have a rod that is no longer in production, then you get the current model that is closest to the one you broke. I have not had this happen with Echo (only own one of their rods), but I had a Redington CPS that was replaced with a CPX under their similar system, and that was a definite downgrade.......but I got it in 4 days......