High vs low end rods these days... Is the gap narrowing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Codioos, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Porter

Porter Active Member

You can't always get the rod you want
    But if you try sometimes, well you just might find

You get the rod you need

Torn between two many rods, feelin' like a fool
    Lovin' all of you is breakin' my bank account

And if you can't be with the rod you love, honey
    Love the rod you're with

2. snarlac

snarlac Member

As to the question in the thread title; the answer is clearly NO - the gap isn't narrowing. What's happening is that redington, and some others - more for the medium than the faster actions, foreign based low-end manufacturers are making rods that have "some" action similarities to the higher end rods. But they aren't the same and not equivalent. The higher end rods are - imo - superior in action, workmanship, quality of materials (guides, cork, wraps, finish), and - most importantly - durability. I couldn't give a shit about a warranty for a rod failure; I want the rod to NOT break in the first place. I - for one - am more than sick and tired of cork turning in my hand, guides pulling out, etc., from no more than heavy (frequent) normal use. I own some of these cheapo's (TFO pros, BVK, etc.) but their use is occasional or even less (taken as a backup). Gas and time is to valuable to have fishing time lost on a CT that snaps like a twig on a hard hook set (which I've seen several times, recently).

As for the faster action rods and punching big flies through a wind, playing large fish - the discount rods aren't in the same universe. And no one here has yet said they were.

stilly stalker likes this.
  3. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Agreed totally. I would LOVE have someone come out to the surf with me and cast my Xi3 and my predator back to back and tell me they like casting the redington just as much. Sinking lines, 6" weighted flies and onshore breezes will separate the good from the mediocre in a hurry

4. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I guess there is one thing I don't understand. Those talking about a Zen experience and relating that to fly casting a top of the line fly rod. I certainly appreciate the beauty and function of a high end fly rod. By my "Zen" experience from fly fishing doesn't come from the fly rod and its ease of casting. But, rather being out in nature and becoming a part of nature. Listening to birds sing, watching the wild animals, seeing a fish rise, catching a trout or two and releasing them back into the stream, are what makes fly fishing so enjoyable to me. A good casting fly rod is nice but really doesn't add that much to my enjoyment of nature. Its being there that is so important to me.

Kyle Smith likes this.
  5. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

well I am gonna skip all the comments above. 4 pages is just too much to get caught up on.

Here is the truth of the matter however.

1. no everyone looks for the same thing in a rod. what is junk to one person is great to another.
    2. Most high end rods use slightly better components than most cheap rods. Some rods use a lot better components that some cheap rods.
    3. most high end rods are better performers than most low end rods. but rule number 1 needs to be applied here.
    4. most fly fishermen do not know how to tell if a rod is good or not. they do not look at the components they are not capable of performing to the level of any rod let alone the best of the best.

5. there is only one thing that matters in a rod choice... does the rod help you have fun?

6. Fun is the ultimate performance measuring criteria.

6. stilly stalker

7. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

I am sure that Sage is using the best quality cork that they can get... the problem is not Sage the problem is that there is that the supply of good cork is very small and difficult to get. to meet demands sage would need a dozen people working around the clock to find enough good cork to keep up with production and even then they'd be unlikely to find enough.

I have never had to deal with their customer service so i cannot speak to that.

8. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

there is certainly no excuse for rude customer service. I agree you should be able to get your rod into a fishable condition without voiding the warranty.

9. stilly stalker

return service for my sage was quoted at 25 days- but since I spoke with the rep on the phone, and flagged him on the shipping invoice he said it should knock a week off the turnaround time since it would be put directly in his hands as soon as they received it. I have been talking to him the last 2 weeks, and looks like they expected date of return should be right about 21 days since I sent it in. Sure its not a 4 day turnaround, but they are fixing a cherished rod for me, replacing the tip on another and building that rod a spare tip as well. Not bad for 3 weeks

10. snarlac

snarlac Member

Uh-huh: you don't have to talk to anyone; just send in your rod with the repair form and fee; all's your doing in taking your cork issues out on the repair lady is slowing everyone else's repairs down. You want another rod to use while yours is getting repaired? go buy one.

11. snarlac

snarlac Member

The point is that you still have not identified any particular need to speak to anyone about having your rod repaired. After reviewing your reply, my original post stands without modification.

12. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:
    Hold on, I'm putting a second thing of Jiffypop on the range, anyone want to join? Cuz this is hilarious!

Gary Knowels and jake-e-boy like this.
  13. Porter

Porter Active Member

In another sense ...yes the gap is closing....less made in USA rods and more USA designed but foreign made rods being sold to USA customers....so in that sense yes the gap is narrowing. Support local buy global...leads to all of us with less! ;)

14. chief

chief Active Member

You obviously had a bad experience. I can tell from the tone of your posts that you would never be confrontational with a customer service person.... Also, my experience is that if it is a material defect they don't charge for the repair. the charge is only for the unconditional dumbass I broke my rod doing something stupid repairs. Yes, the rod will still be out of service for a few weeks, but, that is the warranty process that you implied consent to when you made the purchase.

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Let's not lose sight of our manners and language. Some things are better shared privately. No need for insults and name calling amplified with profanity for all of us to read.

16. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    i broke my Sage a couple years ago, a VPS I had built myself. It broke the handle piece, the male end breaking in the female end of the second piece when I flipped my boat upside down trying to transport it. I tried to repair it myself, but that was unsuccessful. I emailed Sage and explained it all, including my botched attempt at repair. The email came back to me that they don't mind anyone trying a repair themselves and it was no problem. I shipped my entire rod and got the new lower section back within 3-4 weeks as I recall. I ended up buying a new reel seat and handle and with that and the warranty fee I was out $150, but it was $150 dollars spent on a rod that I love more than any other I would buy for that. I loved their service and felt it was fair.

Wayne

Keith Hixson and Gary Knowels like this.
  17. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Many years ago the reel seat on my Lamiglass broke. Lamiglass fixed it within a week. Still fish with the rod from time to time but it doesn't have the best action, alas technology caught up with it. But I used many years after it was returned.

18. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

Reading the entire thread my 2 cents is this, does a person need to fork out 4 to 15X the money for a rod that does the same job as the most exspensive? no, my advise is buy what you can afford, do you want to get into cigars and buy a $508 to $13,000 a box? and yes the gurkha hms is almost $13,000 a box. or do you buy a bundle of 30 for say $30 to try out samples to so you know if you like it, i say buy whats affordable, get some casting lessons in the end you will get the exsperience to know whata ct feels to say a helios 2 or say a exspensive T&T or sage or scott for a example, everyone is in different income brackets, doesnt mean you need to break the bank to keep up with the smithes or jones, get what you get and be happy with it and in time upgrade slowly then you can have a arsenal of fly rods your happy with in any situation. my opinion is do research on what action you like, either slow action, midium acttion or fast action, in the end of the day it doesnt matter what the rod cost as long as you have fun and you cought fish, doesnt matter if you have a ct trout or a orvis helios 2.

There is my 2 cents in this subject.

19. stilly stalker

Youll never get on the cover of that LL Bean catalogue with a Redington!!!! hahahahahaha