Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

hittin the yak on sunday

797 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Bright Rivers 
#1 ·
Me and a buddy of mine are going to fish the yak on Sunday. This will be my sixth or seventh time there. But I have never cought anything. I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on how to catch the fish there. Or maybe where? If anyone else would like to go, let me know. I would like to get some fishin buddies. Let me know.

Chris

#2 ·
You don't say where you've fished in the past or where you'll be fishing on Sunday. That may be some of the problem with not catching fish.

Water temps have come up to a level that the fish are looking up a little more. There's suppose to be some clouds and rain. That will be a good thing. Air temp in the low 50's, should be a good day for you and your buddy.

Watch for the hatch of BWO coming off the water between 12:00 and 4:00 p.m. Tie on a size 16 parachute BWO and trail a CDC gray bodied emerger 6-9" behind it. Watch for pods of rainbows sipping bugs. Griffith's gnats will work, also *size 18-20).

If you're going to fish before noon, nymph!

good luck!

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

#3 ·
A good source of info on the Yakima is The Evening Hatch Guide service. Check out their web site for updates on river conditions. They've got a great little shop in Ellensburg, just off the Canyon Road exit of I-90. All the people I've met there have been great and are willing to help a fellow trout bum out with advice.

www.theeveninghatch.com

(And no, I'm not an employee!) :BIGSMILE

#4 ·
I have fished near the foot bridge, and below roza dam.(I think) Is that the area with really high banks on the road side.

Is it better to wade to the middle and fish the shore or visa versa? I really dont know. Ive never been there with anyone who knew anything about the place. Ive always heard good things, but I have yet to be successful. I surley appreciate all the advice.

Chris

#6 ·
Here's another couple of sites that you'll get great info

http://www.redsflyshop.com/

http://www.worleybuggerflyco.com/

I'm not an employee of either place but you will get the straight scoop from Steve Joyce, owner of Red's Fly Shop in the canyon (mile post 15) and Steve Worley, owner of Worley-bugger Fly Shop in downtown Ellensburg.

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

#7 ·
I'll second Greg's advice. If I were you, I'd go straight to Red's fly shop. Talk to Steve Joyce -- tell him you've never caught a fish on the Yak and that you'd like to know where to go, what to use, and how to use it. Then be sure to buy some stuff from him. Then be sure to let us all know how you did.

db

"If I don't catch them today, I'll catch them another day." Art Flick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.