Hoh River Wild Steelhead Run Fails Again!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bob Triggs, Oct 2, 2013.

1. attack

attack Member

this is great advice...if only anyone would listen.

no lets just blame the tribe instead...everyone but me must be at fault.

Phil Fravel and sopflyfisher like this.
  2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I don't think that your average angler would have a problem with self imposed C&R limits. Largely because unguided anglers aren't really putting up the numbers the guides are. There are a LOT of guides on this river. Some who put up some staggering numbers. Some of those same guides are also doing a lot more than any of us to help the river on their own time. And asking them to tell their paying clients to hang it up after a fish or two isn't going to fly in most cases. I do know one guide who fishes from a boat who will occasionally have a client fish with a fly and clipped hook after they've been putting up numbers. That's about it.

Patrick Allen and sopflyfisher like this.
  3. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

I am not trying to derail this topic, but does anyone know how the other coastal rivers in vicinity faired? WDFW still hasn't answered my e-mails over the past 1 1/2 months.

4. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

I understand that steelhead fishing is dying the death of a thousand cuts, but if we focus all our efforts on rivers that are the most important to our fly fishing mystique, it's like saying "you can cut me anywhere but the face; it's too pretty." We're still going to bleed out.I just think that the goal needs to be advocating for species-wide protections, and not just river-specific regulations. If we argue that escapement is too low right now to allow wild steelhead retention in a specific river, we're conceding that if escapement was higher, that wild retention would be acceptable. It's not.

I do agree that the Hoh is special from a policy stand-point, but I think too many of us are concerned about the Hoh for our future ability to fish the majestic, storied Hoh. I think the Hoh is important more because the upper drainage and tributaries are less logged and developed, meaning there are less variables to point the finger at. Instead of blaming habitat or Puget Sound, we can blame harvest management practices and perhaps wage a successful campaign against wild sport and tribal retention not just for the Hoh, but all other rivers.

DoSer likes this.
  5. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

No matter where the fault lies, one can not escape the fact that the more fish that are removed from the river and bonked, the fewer will be around to spawn. Over time that equals fewer fish. Going unchecked, it will eventually result in NO FISH.

Even in the best of times, wild and hatchery fish, both have a difficult time to survive. Some of the obsticales that man has put into play, such as fishing, have not been helpful to them.

I have no problem with an occasional fish. But nets and excessive creel limits, both conditions are not helpful.

6. PT

PT Physhicist

Cruik, this conversation could be had about many rivers. For your sake, because most of us already get it, just substitute whatever river it is that you would prefer everywhere it reads "Hoh" in this thread.

We could mention the Satsop, Hump, Wynoochee, Quillayute System, all of the small rivers around PA, etc. But, I think we all get it. Can't forget the Queets...

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    A way worse case than the Hoh. Just doesn't have the every day man traffic the Hoh does to speak up about it. And since it's not really managed by WDFW, it is a bit tougher topic to tackle.

8. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:

One of the terrible vulnerabilities of these wild fish is that the managers have focused on individual watershed runs, instead of managing them as a species throughout an entire range or ecosystem, across all of their watersheds. And so they have dwindled, and collapsed, one run at a time, throughout our state. This is not the way that these wild fish evolved. As each run fails we lose important genetic diversity. This leaves the remaining wild fish in a precarious position. Every single run of these fish matters. Not just on any particular river. So here we are, looking at the Hoh river run of wild winter steelhead. We could just as well be speaking of any of the rivers and runs here. It is significant to me that this is happening because it was not so long ago that WDFW fish managers trotted out the Hoh river wild steelhead runs before the WDFW Commissioners as a good example of their management success in applying their Maximum Sustained Yield, (harvest), system. And apparently the WDFW Commissioners accepted that rationale, as they then reversed the Moratorium on the harvest of wild steelhead and allowed anglers to retain one wild steelhead per season on these rivers. I feel they should reconsider that decision, statewide.

Steve Call and triploidjunkie like this.
  9. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    "Species-wide protections" is why ALL of the Puget Sound rivers are closed to steelhead fishing. This includes the Skagit which has a projected escapement of between 8,000 to 10,000 fish in 2013, (official numbers yet to come). To put that number in perspective it is approximately (I'm typing from memory here and math is not my best subject:) ) 160% of an escapement goal that is already at 150% percent of what is believed to be the actual escapement needed for future viability. But the river is closed because a river 80 miles away that is part of the Puget Sound DPS (Distinct Population Segment) is under-escaping.

The quote above sounds wonderful. But in my studies of the situation on the Skagit, it describes a fairytale. If you fish, even C&R fishing, then you must accept retention. In the halls of conservatoria, a dead fish is a dead fish, is a dead fish. It matters not if by net, by legal retention or, (and this is important!) by incidental mortality from C&R fishing...there are still dead fish, and dead fish constitute harvest.

Every river needs an advocate. Pick one, select a reachable goal and go after it. Give up some of your time and pester those that can help you get to where you want to go. Give up some of your fishing days and go to Olympia. Give up some fly tying time and read through mountains of documents.

Or just keep adding to this thread...which is by far the way easier path.

10. Bob Triggs

Media:
    Home Page:
    Here is one relevant document, from biologist Richard Burge at the Wild Steelhead Coalition, that I feel supports an outright, total closure of any fishing on the Hoh River.

Attached Files:

Chris Johnson, Rich Simms and DoSer like this.
  11. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Bob, send this to the Commissioners. Not sure it will do any good, but sure can't hurt.

12. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Take 5 minutes and call and/or email the Wildlife Commission members.

Fish and Wildlife Commission
    Commission Members
    Chair:
    Miranda Wecker, Naselle
    (Western Washington position, Pacific County)
    Occupation: Director of the Marine Program, UW Olympic Natural Resources Center
    Current Term: 07/08/2013 - 12/31/18​
    Vice Chair:
    Bradley Smith, Ph.D., Vice Chair, Bellingham
    (Western Washington position, Whatcom County)
    Occupation: Dean Emeritus, Huxley College of the Environment, Western Washington University
    Current Term: 06/18/2009 - 12/31/2014​
    Commission Members:
    Larry Carpenter, Mount Vernon
    (Western Washington position, Skagit County)
    Term: 01/01/2011 - 12/31/2016
    Jay Holzmiller, Anatone
    (Eastern Washington position, Asotin County)
    Current Term: 06/10/2013 - 12/31/2018
    Jay Kehne, Omak
    (At-Large position, Okanogan County)
    Term: 04/16/2013 - 12/31/2018
    Robert "Bob" Kehoe, Seattle
    (At-Large position, King County)
    Occupation: Executive Director, Purse Seine Vessel Owners' Assoc.
    Term: 07/08/2013 - 12/31/2014
    Conrad Mahnken, Ph.D., Bainbridge Island
    (At-Large position, Kitsap County)
    Current Term: 01/01/2011 - 12/31/2016
    Rolland Schmitten, Lake Wenatchee
    (Eastern Washington position, Chelan County)
    Current Term: 06/18/2009 - 12/31/2014
    Vacant
    (Eastern Washington position)​
    Commission Office Contact:
    Tami Lininger, Commission Executive Assistant
    PHONE: (360) 902-2267
    MAIL*: Fish and Wildlife Commission
    600 Capitol Way North
    Olympia, WA 98501-1091
    E-MAIL Commission@dfw.wa.gov
    FAX (360) 902-2448

*NOTE: all mail for Commission members should be sent to the Commission Office.

FinLuver and Bob Triggs like this.
  13. Bob Triggs

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thank you Steve Call. I have been in touch with the commissioners since the year 2000. They are well aware of my concerns.

14. PT

PT Physhicist

Hand me one of these, please!

barfbag.jpg

doublespey and Derek Young like this.
  15. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Sad news. Not surprised. So long as they continue to have commercial value, they do not stand a chance. 1000 to 1500 fish taken (well at least documented) annually. Let's say for sake of argument the average fish weighs 15lbs, yields 10 lbs of fillet each and fetches $15/lb on the market. A run being destroyed for between $150-225K per year...pretty damn sad.

16. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    probably because it is still open to wild fish retention... and the drake says it is the best place in the world to catch wild steelhead ;)

Rich Simms and Jonathan Stumpf like this.
  17. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    if i recall we had an opportunity to make a portion of the hoh no boats recently... except all of the "advocates" decided their fishing was more important than the fish.

just remember the OP has the best, largest, biggest wild steelhead left on the planet (according to the press and guidewhores) except tons of other river systems in the lower 48.

Rich Simms and Chris Johnson like this.
  18. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Bob, I'm sure you have. So have I. I'm hoping that others will take the time to do so. People underestimate the impact of direct, personal communication with decision makers.

Derek Young and Jason Rolfe like this.
  19. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    I'm wondering if you and I are reading the same article or fishing the same river? Not sure how a sport anglers choice of method has anything to do with how our "co-managers" "manage" harvest. Id prefer to read a thread on this forum regarding wild steelhead and not have to wade through a slough of that kind of garbage. Thanks.

Steve Knapp likes this.
  20. juro

juro New Member

Such a myriad of complex issues at play, but a couple of things come to mind... 1) indiscriminate harvest methods - i.e. gillnets should be outlawed. Weirs which would permit 100% selective harvest for native harvest, and a higher quality product than a strangled rigor mortised fish collected a day later if the seals don't get it. 2) Zero wild harvest by any party until escapement reached.
    The Hoh is no more and certainly no less precious than ANY wild steelhead river anywhere. They are all as individual as the strains that have evolved over eons on their respective ecosystems and because another river thrives it does not mitigate the loss of any one. And if I ever see another 20# wild Hoh steelhead for sale at Pike Place again... :mad:

John Hicks and doublespey like this.