Hohdown, March 19

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jeff bandy, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Mumbles,

At 5 kcfs the Cowlitz has an abundance of swingable fly water, but you need some kind of floating device to access it. The most popular floats are from Barrier dam to Blue Ck, Blue Ck to Mission, Mission to Toledo or I-5, and less so for I-5 to Olequa. As flows increase above 6 kcfs, the amount of fly water, IMO, decreases significantly. I've fished it mostly during the summer and fall at flows ranging from 2,500 cfs to 5,500 cfs. If Tacoma needs to release higher flows, then the backup plan isn't a backup plan. At that point I'll just hang out near wherever Jerry's cook tent is and drink and eat all day and wind my spring and pawl reels just to hear the sound of something good that is steelhead fishing related.

Sg

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Sg, once again you deliver the goods for this guy void of knowledge, thank you. The floating device is one that I have several suitable options to fill the need. Having never seen it I was just concerned that it would be a float on the go go go. If my camp host Jeff Bandy and camp chef Jerry Dashofsky tell me that my plans have changed then so be it. I'll await their input and again, thank you greatly for a great answer. Ed

3. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Salmo, Are the floats on the Cow technical or not so much?

4. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    Early springers are during up in the system too, I'm still going the weather holds up for the hoh

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    One thing I do know is that the Cowlitz is about the easiest of river floats

6. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Id definitely be down to make the cowlitz an alternate location. It wouldnt be as magical, but we would have a much better chance of bonking some meat.
    Mumbles, theres good swingable water at barrier dam, I have caught chinook and coho on the swing there. The cow also has a TON of hatchery SRC's to keep you busy

Would people want to camp in the parking lot of the hatchery? Im not sure I know another place to camp near there. Theres not much for amenities, but who cares? its lat, and a lot of space for tents, tarps, whatr have you

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sounds like as good a plan as any. It's not going to be as "special," but we will still have a camp fire, good beer, better food, and water to fish. Plus, we'll spend much less in travel expenses, so that'll make up for the less spectacular location.

Let's decide on Monday or so based on conditions. Things still could clear up on the coast.

8. stilly stalker

9. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    I must say that 'camping' at Blue Creek doesn't sound so lovely. And one would be pretty much at the whim of finding someone who has a boat to float in, or not have a whole lot of swinging water to share with a ton of others. Plus that river has not been kind to me for some reason.
    But that being said, if all the rivers on the OP are gone, then it's better than nothing. Plus there are a couple other options that aren't terribly far away if one wanted to get away from Blue Creek and the combat spey zone and jet sleds. :)

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Cow is super easy to float and lots of places to swing. A few places at Blue Creek to swing away from the meat hole.

Lots of room at BC campground BUT last I knew there are no fires allowed. Why we moved our Cowtilla for my Steelheader board. I WILL NOT stay at Barrier Dam Campground again after last years SGMtilla. Long story but if you guys opt for there I won't go (you'll have to come to BC to eat). I possibly could get a propane firepit from Camp Chef. Looks real and puts out heat. Just runs on propane (has ceramic logs). Not sure if I could get it by Wednesday though. But TPU had a fireban at BC.

I'll be disappointed if its not at the Hoh. But I'm a realist here. SG had a stellar idea. I'm all for making the call on Monday possibly Tuesday on location.

Ok boys and girls I'll plan on doing the buy up of the grub then. :)

11. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    Ive only ever fished it back trolling out of a jet sled. but it was ALWAYS good to me, ha ha.

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I'm supposed to be delivering a package to Forks. I hope that the backup plan is unnecessary in the whole scheme of things.

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Matthew Barrier to Bc is a great float with minimal sled traffic. Most are boondoggin below BC. If I'm in the drift boat I'm usually Barrier to BC.

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I actually think there might be enough floatation to go around if everyone with boats that says they're going to the OP would come to this.

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    WFF Snoopy pole Cowlitz hatchery derby!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

16. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    You guys are driving me crazy. I'm set to leave for the Hoh tomorrow first thing. Now I'm wondering if I have food for 10 days in the rig. Fuck it, I'm going to the Hoh. I'll see you there. Or not.

17. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
    This is a fine idea, sir.

18. stilly stalker

Im just trying to be a realist about water levels Jeff. Its a lot of money and time to make it out to the peninsula for blown out rivers in a land notorious for rain. A dam controlled flow would be much more conducive to fishing. Don't get me wrong, if the flows and weather look good, the peninsula still gets my vote

19. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Stilly, I know. I'm just really frustrated. Just looked at the 7-day forecast. SHIT. Temps in the 40's day and night. Rain every day.
    SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT

20. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Take lots of Port, smoke a couple fine cigars, enjoy the company and relax.
    You could be here cleanin' up shit.
    :beathead:bawling: