Holiday Fly swap gathering

Swap 
5K views 60 replies 16 participants last post by  Richard Torres 
#1 ·
Holiday Face to Face Fly Swap Gathering

Holiday face to face fly swap 2011
Tie ten flies -two sets of 5 flies
you will swap flies with two other tiers and get ten flies

This event will be held at The Avid Angler Saturday November 19, 2011 from 12:00 noon to 4:00
the shop is located at 17171 Bothell Way NE Lake Forest Park WA 98155
Ryan has Graciously allowed us to use the shop! should be fun

Lets get together trade some flies, meet in person and learn from the many people you have read about on here, see some people demo their favorite patterns, raise a glass of holiday cheer, have some food, smoke a stoggie, go catch a fish....
what the hell bring the family too
A Washington Fly Fishing holiday get together.

5-five of your favorite pattern to tie or something you have always wanted to tie
5-Five of the one you catch the most fish on ( post a picture of your fly with the fish it caught)
If you start now there is plenty of time to get a good picture.
Exchange five of each pattern with two other people
You will get two sets of five flies and contribute 2 sets of five flies
Meet people who have made a differnce in the way you fish and acknowledge them in person.

All are welcome !

Who's in ?
1.Kelvin
2.Mountain Trout
3.Steve Saville
4.dryflylarry
5.Islander
6.TribalDragon911
7.scottflycst
8.Banzai
9.Bonsai
10.Willburrrr2003
11.lake and stream
12. Bestbuilder

See less See more
#33 ·
I'm finished with ten but checked the posts and found that there are now twelve. I will make some more just for the fun. I have a low water, steelhead coachman and a searun baitfish pattern. I've used the coachman lots but the baitfish is new to me and I'll be using it this coming weekend.

#38 ·
Sop it up with a biscut .... my favorite
long time since I had some elk

I hit some big sea runs myself in the south Sound on Monday right at at dusk
think my second tie will be a Olive Flat Wing just picked up a couple of beautiful new capes

#40 ·
Jerry,
Tie me some extra flies and I'll bring ya' some cornbread n honey.

Kelv,
I should bring a pot of beans and hamhocks with mexican cornbread. We'd have a little fun during the swap but the fly shop might not sell much after our visit!

#44 ·
I am finishing up my last fly tonight. 5 Flashback stoneflies and 5 Spawning Purple.
I can't make it in person unfortunately. I spend my "weekend" away from the dispatch center cooking at Sapolil Cellars here in Walla2 and my 2nd boss has a huge catering event that day and keeps getting this panic ridden look on her face when I ask her about it. So I am gonna be a nice and work.
Where should I send the flies?

#46 ·
Done and in the mail. Sure wish I could be there. I owe, I owe, so it's off to work I go!

Things I learned tying these puppies while working graveyard at a 911 center.
1. I like the stonefly pattern because it's easy to tie, catches fish, and is easy to drop and answer a 911 call...
2. Spawning purple fly, not so much. I seem to always be in the middle of hackling or have head cement in my hand.
3. I still suck at sweeping hackle on a steelhead fly.

Tight Lines

#50 ·
Sweet ties indeed

awesome love for you both to do a demo

I will do a flat wing demo since couple people have asked for one

we also have and area where we can cast the rods in the shop if anyone wants to try out the new Sage one or anything else they have

The shop is also doing a free spey casting class that day if anyone wants to head up to Monroe
there is a couple of good salt spots not too far from the shop a park is full of Chums right now don't tell anyone I said so

#53 ·
Yes, big thanks to Kelvin for organizing it and also to Avid Angler for the use of the shop. It was great to put some new names to faces and hooking up with friends from previous WFF adventures. Some excellent flies and knowledge were exchanged. I'll put some pictures up a little later.

#56 ·
Wow, I sure had a great day. Thanks Kelvin for putting this together. I owe you for letting me just drop in like that. Very cool of Avid to host.

Islander and I decided we still had some socializing left in us. We headed over to the Orvis in Bellevue. Had some sockeye salmon sliders with some very fine Speyburn single malt whiskey and a fine cigar.

Not a bad day considering I didn't fish.

#59 ·
Kelvin. Thanks for hosting the fly swap. It was great. As you know, I chose your Steelhead Lighting Bugs. Well, to hell with steelhead! I used them out fishing in the Hood Canal today for cutts and drug fish up on the beach! You should have been there! I did a report in the saltwater section here. I mostly had luck with a squid pattern, but I slapped on your steelhead bug and nailed around 4 fish also, plus some missed hits. Anyway, it was nice seeing and meeting everyone. Happy Holidays!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.