holster for fishing....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jpfish, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Jpfish

Jpfish Member

Im looking at getting a holster for my glock to carry while im fishing. Trying to get an idea for the best way to carry while wearing waders and a vest? Im thinking a vertical or horizontal shoulder holster. Anybody have another style they like to use while fishing?

2. psycho

psycho Active Member

I always have my gun boy bear my firearms while fishing, same with hunting.:D But then we are not allowed Glocks up here.:(

Don Freeman likes this.
  3. Dipnet

Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

4. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

Ceck out Uncle Mikes Ambidextrous Sidekick holsters...
    They are inexpensive and come with a reversible clip and a belt loop.
    not a great holster in and of itself ... but works for me at the times I do ccw while fishing.

5. HAK

HAK New Member

After 20 years in Alaska.... shoulder holster, centered on chest, inside waders is by far the best. It's there all the time, dry and if you get knocked down you still have your gun. If this is a grizzly bear gun you really need a 50 Cal S & W. Lesser calibers are largely ineffective.

Jason Hoffman likes this.
  6. Jason Hoffman

Jason Hoffman Member

I use a blackhawk SERPA chest holster harness coupled with a blackhawk CQC holster. Some considerations:

Pros
    - Chest harness keeps your sidearm up high out of the water and easily accessible centered between the shoulder straps from your vest.
    - Secure holster - CQC uses passive retention with an audible click--won't drop out when you bend over.
    - Adjustable angle for the CQC harness on the chest plate gets exactly the right angle for extraction.
    - Comfort - Harness Harnes has substantial width padded shoulder straps with clip fastener for easy removal and cinch straps that can be snugged down to prevent bouncing even in a light jog.
    - Matt carbon fiber/Polymer and nylon strap setup is 100% weather resistant.

Cons
    - Gun is easy to access but also highly visible, if that is a concern, depending on your area.
    - Passive retention requires depressing a release tab to extract the weapon. takes a little bit of practice.

7. bjornjon

bjornjon Member

8. Jason Hoffman

Jason Hoffman Member

That guides choice is sure sweet! If you don't wade very deep, are a fair weather fisherman, and have $165 to spend, thats definitely the way to go.

9. Josh

Josh dead in the water

10. Jason Hoffman

Jason Hoffman Member

Most all of these are open carry scenarios. However open cary isn't always preferred when you may run into other people. I don't like passing by private land with an open carry gun. But I still want to have something incase I come across an extremely unfriendly dog, for example. I was thinking if I could find a good holster/harness that was still high up and secure but that would tuck in nicely behind the left panel of my fly vest that would be ideal in that scenario. Right now my concealed carry option is the pouch at the top of my waders...

11. bjornjon

bjornjon Member

I've had no issues with wearing it inside my waders (for deep wading) and usually in inclement weather I've got a wading jacket on, but you're right--they don't give them away.

12. Karry

Karry Member

Call a few stores that sale holsters and ask if you can bring in your gun and test fit. Most will let you. then bring you waders and vest too. That will be a lot cheaper and faster that buying one that don't work for you.

13. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Jp,

I recently purchased a chest holster with a magazine carrier from here: http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/ for carrying while wearing waders. The owner lives in Oregon and will custom make you what you want.

14. rory

rory Go Outside

Is this for all the wolves I keep hearing about?

15. steelydan

steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

I am not a fan of leather when talking about a (potentially) wet environment.
    If I am CC, an Uncle Mikes pocket holster held vertically (it doesn't move) in my inside wader pocket...Kahr PM9.
    Quick and easy access even if I'm wearing a jacket.
    Trail/backwoods carry is an Uncle Mikes hip holster on a separate nylon duty belt....Same as a wading belt.....SW 386 Hunter.

16. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Check out LIIONDEFENSE, I carry a Glock 26 with their Appendix kydex holster. Excellent holster, secure clip to position anywhere.

17. Jason Hoffman

Jason Hoffman Member

not for wolves, but more likely for dogs, cougars and crazies. There were a few dog and cougar incidents on the cedar last summer. There was a crazy dude hunting people to on the OP some time ago.

18. Jonnytutu

Jonnytutu Member

I just don't understand. When you look at the number of animal attacks across North America, the numbers are staggeringly small, ridiculously small, silly small.

I just couldn't ever understand the need to carry a gun when out relaxing on the bank of a river. Not trying to start a battle....just a personal opinion.

fredaevans and Don Freeman like this.
  19. Jason Hoffman

Jason Hoffman Member

That's absolutely true. 99% of people go to all the same places. Most are very safe as a result. Then there are those who go outside of locations regularly traveled by the other 99% of people and do that a lot. I tend to fish remote places and often solo. Thats also where the best fishing often is and the wildlife. My wife, for example has encountered cougars right in the puget sound area on two occasions because she was trail running/mt biking on little used trails 5 days a week year round over a decade. Thank goodness she had a 135lb malamute that drove the cougar off when she was on foot and was far enough away and on a mt bike the second time. Go out enough and eventually the numbers add up. Also, look on this forum and you will see reports of guys facing down cougars last summer on the cedar river or the off leash pit bulls that went after a guy on the the cedar. I was out last spring and on a little used trail and coming back out I noticed cougar tracks in the mud that had followed me for about a quarter mile. Thats when I decided I would carry when alone in less traveled areas. Not needed when with a few guys or when in human frequented areas, unless you are in grizzly territory, IMO.

Irafly likes this.
  20. Jason Hoffman

Jason Hoffman Member

Wildlife aside, the wilderness occasionally attracts wackos (besides us fly fishermen). Again if you are alone and remote, you increase your odds of something less than happy. Like this guy that was hunting people on trails on the OP.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021604915_traildeathsxml.html?prmid=obindomain

I remember years ago when some friends of mine were on the Appalachian trail when a serial killer was making the rounds there as well. Sure their are fewer murders in the backwoods, but there are fewer people too. Again the "alone and remote" factor increase your odds in a negative way.