Home made fire starter

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Ryker, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Ryker

Ryker New Member

During the nasty winter, boredom can kick in, as I can only read online so long before my eyesight starts to blur. During one such stretch of boredom, I decided to make some fire starters from stuff around the house. Burn time lasted between 15-18 minutes for my test runs. It's not some new recipe (I probably read it in an old issue of _Backwoodsman_), but maybe it will help to break the chill of winter for you. It's fun and easy, and I don't like it when I can't get a fire lit in the woods ...

-R

Ingredients:
    1. Sawdust (easily had from your wood shop)
    2. Cardboard egg carton (we all need our protein)
    3. Candle wax (just swipe your wife's mostly used candles)

Steps:
    1. Bring the wax to a liquid form. If the candle is in a jar, place the jar in a boiling pot of water to melt the wax. It's ok to add other candles (unless you're finicky about mixing the Peach Orchard scent with the Winter Pine).
    2. Fill the egg carton with sawdust. I didn't pack it down, but just filled it to overflowing. The sawdust will settle when you add the wax, so leave the dust in heaping mounds.
    3. Pour the wax over the sawdust in the egg carton. Fill each crate to the brim.
    4. Let settle and firm. I got busy and left it overnight.
    5. Cut the carton into individual sections. I recommend leaving pieces of cardboard attached to the sawdust balls, as the pieces provide an easy lighting point.
    6. Light it up.

Example of completed sawdust balls.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361744048.578100.jpg

Flame at one minute.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361744073.624384.jpg

Flame at five minutes.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361744095.455485.jpg

Flame at ten minutes.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361744119.835632.jpg

Flame at fifteen minutes.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361744141.339532.jpg

jimmydub and Ron McNeal like this.
  2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Cool. I have been known to save dryer lint. Burns like crazy!

jimmydub likes this.
  3. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Great idea. And, I like the idea of using dryer lint.

4. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Ed, you have waaaaaaay too much time on your hands!

5. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

And all this time I've been trashing the stuff. Now if only they would give me refunds for all the wine bottles I've trashed. :D

6. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Or . . . an overly-aggressive belly-button . . . are we gonna see you on an episode of Hoarders?

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Jokes, they've got jokes. Try the dryer lint. Fill a zip lock Baggie. Thank me later.

8. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

carry a film canister (do they even still make those) full of it soaked with hand sanitizer for emergency fire starting
    apparently I have too much time on my hands too
    at least I have never lowered myself to using it for dubbing ....but bet it would work

9. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

I've tried dryer lint too. I once made my own fire starter holder out of an empty Chapstick tube. I experimented with stuff that would burn as I wanted to have a small carry loop on it but have as many parts burnable as possible. I found that fly line burns like a fuse and even duct tape burns so I stuffed it full of Vaseline soaked cotton balls, wrapped the tube in duct tape and fashioned a carry loop with old fly line. Guess I had more time back then, LOL.

10. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I do like the dryer lint idea & will try that, Ed. Thanks early.

11. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Euuuwwwwww...navel lint!!!!!

12. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

ever make pipe bombs?

13. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

You could put either dryer lint or the sawdust/wax mixer into old film cases also to keep them dry and the containers are also moisture resistant. Nice thread as I just started getting my stuff together so I can so I can start hiking in to Brookie streams and camping over night. This will come in handy.

14. TDub

TDub Member

Jokes, they've got jokes. Try the dryer lint. Fill a zip lock Baggie. Thank me later.[/quote]

Ed, we do that too with the dryer lint. Great for backpacking!

15. The Dude

The Dude Member

Yall need to learn how to find sap wood in stumps. Its the best fire starter you never need to carry with you.

16. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

I've posted this up on another thread. But was my Dad's trick and still works great. Plus, you don't need to work at a box factory to get them. Find wetlok boxes (those are your wax boxes), cut them into strips, and coil them into a tin can. Buy some wax and pour extra over the top. lights easily, and can be used to start fires. Plus, usually can make the whole thing for pretty much free (and if you want, can add some sawdust, etc for more heat). Puncture the bottom of the can if you want to use the can as an actual stove (so small pot on top doesn't suffocate the burn). Have a can just slightly bigger then can with wax boxes to cover and extinguish without ruining the unit. Pretty easy.