Hook Prices WTH

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Paul_, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Paul_

Paul_ Active Member

Media:
    I just spent over $9 for a pack of 25, size 8 Tiemco hooks at the local fly-shop.
    Are teenage girls starting to put hooks in their hair now and causing hook prices to rise?

c1eddy, Bill Aubrey and Ron McNeal like this.
  2. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

the price of most metals is going way up. you want sticker shock, check out the blue water sizes. couple of bucks per hook.

3. SHigSpeed

SHigSpeed Active Member

Were they SPBL hooks? Those are silly expensive!

_SHig

4. wadakota

wadakota wadakota

Like everything else stuff cost more. Not much you can do. At least you keeping the shop in business... Which is a good thing in the end.

constructeur likes this.
  5. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

What type of Tiemco size 8's?

For example the "Specialty" tiemco's are usually $3 more then regular.

6. sbr

sbr Member

7. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

Cabela's does something interesting. Instead of selling Mustads in 25 packs, they sell them in 50 packs for around $7.

They then turn around and sell their hooks in 25's for like $4.00...

8. Paul_

Paul_ Active Member

Media:
    The hooks were Tiemco 300 (which are x long).

I know I can get cheaper hooks online, but I like supporting the local shop.

For what ever reason I like the Tiemco's more than the Daiichi's, which are considerably less in price.

9. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Tiemco sucks! Seriously. Most other brands you get twice as many hooks for half the price. I've purposely avoided Tiemco for over two years, after getting several packs where the eyes would fall off while tying on the fly. And several packs were apparently made from lead. Even a minnow would straighten them. So I switched almost exclusively to Dai-Riki(50 for around five bucks), mustad(fifty for the price of 25 Tiemco), gamakatsu, and Allen.... to name a few that I consider higher quality hooks.

jwg likes this.
  10. Paul_

Paul_ Active Member

Media:
    I've experienced the exact opposite.

I should add, you catch a lot bigger fish on the eastside. Maybe our small westside fish haven't put a big stress on the hooks:)

11. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Seriously, find another fly shop and try another hook. Don't continue to prove that P T Barnum was right.

Ive

Old Man likes this.
  12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I have a problem with hook prices too. But that's probably because my benchmark is $1.37 for a box of 100 Mustads, any style.

Sg

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I was going to try and get back into tying up a few flies. The price of hooks didn't scare me away. It was the price of tools. I think I gave away all but my vise. It was a Christmas present from my wife a few years ago. So I will have to hang on to it.

The price of a thread holder was 21 bucks for a name brand. A little cheaper for an off name brand. I went to look at Cabela's and found the prices to my liking. Now all I need to do is go through the shed and see if I can find what I have left.

14. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    What really pissed me off is I tied up alot of flies and mixed them in with all the others. I don't know which ones are the bad batches, but find out quickly. Usually when the eye falls of tying it on my tippet.

15. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Personally... I think most brands have their "good" and "not so good" hooks. Tiemco is such a brand. Their saltwater hooks are bomb proof, but other nymph hooks almost need sharpening before use.

16. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

You should always buy the best you can afford when it comes to tools. Hooks are no different than a hammer. You can get anything you want for a given price. I have found less expensive hooks can be had if you look for them. If a shop doesn't carry them, get them somewhere else. The idea that you have to serve a shop is misguided in that they carry what they can afford to sell. They don't mind if you find something else, for the most part. The key is that when you find something you like, take it to your local shop and suggest that they try it. You might be surprised.

17. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    You are right, hook prices are crazy high IMO. Certainly reflective of increase price for steel, but still seems awfully inflated. Makes me glad I went on a hook buying spree about 10 years ago, getting great deals on Tiemco from eBay, and on Taurus hooks at the fly shop in Munroe (really liked those hooks btw). Most recently, 70% off on hooks when Sportsman Warehouse closed up.

The dang things are getting like ammo. Keep your eyes peeled for good buys and maintain some stock to avoid having to pay full retail.

18. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

No disrespect intended, but I'm always slightly amused by these 'amazing high prices these days' threads...reminds me of gasoline prices, butter prices...or whatever. Corrected for inflation, and the 'low wages' of the past, things ain't too bad; I well remember listening to old farts bitching about the prices of hooks 50 years ago.

Hell, we've got it good in terms of products; plenty to choose from, much better materials, easy availability. Back then you took what little you could find locally, or waited to see what kind of shitty quality item a mail order catalogue outfit felt like sending you. There certainly wasn't any kind of ability to bitch about a greedy/bad vendor like you can nowadays via the internet.

flybill likes this.
  19. Paul_

Paul_ Active Member

Media:

Glad I could slightly amuse you, next time I'll try better to really amuse you;)

Krusty likes this.
  20. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Define"quality"

I'm always amazed at how much time and money is spent on going fishing, then to scrimp on the part that attaches to the fish, in terms of leaders and hooks that "are just as good as the good stuff".

flybill and Ron McNeal like this.