Hooks for Pacific Salmon?

Discussion in 'Salmonfly.net' started by guest, Aug 8, 2003.

1. guest

guest Guest

I'm fishing in Ontario next month for Chinook and Pink Salmon, as well as some rainbow trout. I'm having a hard time finding hooks as I've been told standard trout hooks will not hold up under the pressure of 30-pound fish.

Is the Mustad #3407 (nickel-plated, saltwater) a good option to salmon hooks (in sizes 6, 4, 2, 1 and 1/0)?

Thanks for any help you might offer...

2. guest

guest Guest

I was wondering the same thing. I have had 7 full hook-ups and a bit of fish fighting only to have them spit the hook. I was told that a thinner wire would help and I was also told you need a special bend in the hook. I would love to know what the best hook is to tie a clouser on.

Marc

3. skeena1969

skeena1969 New Member

>I'm fishing in Ontario next month for Chinook and Pink
    >Salmon, as well as some rainbow trout. I'm having a
    >hard time finding hooks as I've been told standard
    >trout hooks will not hold up under the pressure of
    >30-pound fish.
    >
    >Is the Mustad #3407 (nickel-plated, saltwater) a good
    >option to salmon hooks (in sizes 6, 4, 2, 1 and 1/0)?
    >
    >Thanks for any help you might offer...
    >
    I use mustd 36890 #4 limerick for al speicies except chinook as i bait fish the big boys as my flyrod is onlya
    8 weight>

4. Burkemeister

Burkemeister Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Robbie,

Are you fishing the rivers or saltwater? What flies are you tying?

Steve Burke
    www.salmonfly.net

5. surfnfish

surfnfish Member

I use the following hook, as do most of my fellow fly anglers, for coastal Chinooks that go in our area up to #50, and have never broken a hook. About $11 for a pack of 50.

Dai-Riki #930, Saltwater Hook heavy wire size: 2

6. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    The Mustad hooks are good, but not great, choices. The Mustad 3407 and 34007 both come sharper now than they used to but still need sharpening, and they sharpen up nicely with a few swipes of a hook hone. The Dai-Riki 930 hook is a good, but not great, hook. It comes moderately sharp. I have a lot of each of these hooks, and they get the job done. However . . .

if I had to choose only one hook, it would be a Gamakatsu hook, probably an SS15. They are nasty, nasty sharp. A really good alternative is the Daiichi X452. They are crazy sharp, too.

If you target chinook, you might want to use Gamakatsu Octopus hooks. Big gape, not too heavy, and very sharp.

7. Flyjunkie

Flyjunkie Hunky Dory

Avoid those Mustad 3407 hooks.. they are flat out Crap.... They have to be sharpened repeatedly, they almost dull from the friction of the Air against the points..(LOL) We used them back in the 80's for the Local Southern california Saltwater.. and Boy were we happy when the premium Hooks started appearing on the Market.....

8. Patagonguy

Patagonguy Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
  9. cb3fish

cb3fish Banned or Parked

Hey guys,

I been fly fishing for King salmon for over twenty years up and down the Oregon coast, I tie my own flies of course, I also tie commercially for lots of fly shops. In my opinion the Daiichi #1530 in size #6 is the most popular hook for all the fly fishing buddies I know, who also chase Kings. The World's record King Salmon was caught on a Daiichi size #6 hook, That fish was over 73 pounds. I would think that alone would speak for its self.
    Good luck
    Carl Blackledge

Attached Files:

10. cb3fish

cb3fish Banned or Parked

Sir,

We catch Kings almost every day, when in season. They average well over 30 pounds. We use mostly 9wt Sage rods. The best all around hook we use is the Daiichi #1530 in size # 6, of course in heavy water we might go to a size #4, however the #6 is the main hook.
    I hope this might help you.

Carl

Attached Files: