How do I find the value of an old Fenwick 6wt?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, May 18, 2013.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I am cleaning out my rod quiver and want to sell my old Fenwick fiberglass FF86 rod. It is still in beautiful condition so I would expect top dollar for it whatever that is. Any suggestions?

Ive

2. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Checking with websites for vintage fly tackle for sale prices is obvious. Possibly a faster way is to do a search for such rods on eBay. I have searches for items that I might want to bid on. However, you can also do searches for completed auctions, which will, of course, give the sale prices.

3. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Thanks Mac, I looked it up and it is a first generation Feralite built between 1963 and 1971. It looks like it should be worth about 100 bucks. I'll probably run it up the flagpole at about $90 and see if anybody salutes.

Ive

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

$90 seems about right. I think you'll get a taker Ive.

Sg

5. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

You might talk to Cameron Mortenson at The Fiberglass Manifesto. He's well connected to the glass market.

6. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Put her on ebay with no reserve and you'll find out what it's worth...after the fact.

7. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Yo, I might want it.

8. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

It sold immediately for $95.

Ive

9. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somebody got a nice deal! Fair, anyway. The 8 1/2' Fenwick 6 wt is the same rod that I bought in 64.
    I broke mine and got it replaced in early '65 on the warranty, but I accepted an 8'er that was already in the store's inventory, rather than wait for a new 8 1/2'er to be ordered and shipped.

I'm pretty sure that I paid somewhere around $35 for it. In 1964 dollars.
    The dollar is worth only a fraction of what it was then. You couldn't buy that rod new for less than $100 today.

I have no plans to sell mine in the near future. I don't use it much though, and I quit using it in the salt.