How do I find the value of an old Fenwick 6wt?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, May 18, 2013.

1. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,116 / 0
    I am cleaning out my rod quiver and want to sell my old Fenwick fiberglass FF86 rod. It is still in beautiful condition so I would expect top dollar for it whatever that is. Any suggestions?

Ive
  2. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +121 / 0
    Checking with websites for vintage fly tackle for sale prices is obvious. Possibly a faster way is to do a search for such rods on eBay. I have searches for items that I might want to bid on. However, you can also do searches for completed auctions, which will, of course, give the sale prices.
  3. IveofIone Active Member

Thanks Mac, I looked it up and it is a first generation Feralite built between 1963 and 1971. It looks like it should be worth about 100 bucks. I'll probably run it up the flagpole at about $90 and see if anybody salutes.

Ive
  4. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,718 / 0
    $90 seems about right. I think you'll get a taker Ive.

Sg
  5. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +452 / 1
    You might talk to Cameron Mortenson at The Fiberglass Manifesto. He's well connected to the glass market.
  6. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +166 / 0
    Put her on ebay with no reserve and you'll find out what it's worth...after the fact.
  7. Jim Kerr Active Member

Forks Wa
    Ratings: +148 / 0
    Yo, I might want it.
  8. IveofIone Active Member

It sold immediately for $95.

Ive
  9. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    Somebody got a nice deal! Fair, anyway. The 8 1/2' Fenwick 6 wt is the same rod that I bought in 64.
    I broke mine and got it replaced in early '65 on the warranty, but I accepted an 8'er that was already in the store's inventory, rather than wait for a new 8 1/2'er to be ordered and shipped.

I'm pretty sure that I paid somewhere around $35 for it. In 1964 dollars.
    The dollar is worth only a fraction of what it was then. You couldn't buy that rod new for less than $100 today.

I have no plans to sell mine in the near future. I don't use it much though, and I quit using it in the salt.