How do you tie in yarn indicators?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by pastorbrian, Oct 31, 2013.

1. pastorbrian Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Howdy boys:
    My buddies and I were discussing how to tie in a small yarn indicator for small nymphs...many ideas
    but no consensus.

Not the ones with an "O" ring (and please don't say "just use a thingamabobber" sometimes smaller and simpler works better...

any ideas?
  2. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +319 / 0
    Here's one way:
    Patrick Allen likes this.
  3. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    And here's another way I just recently saw:

G-spot4u likes this.
  4. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +851 / 1
    Have you considered using an indicator leader, rather than a physical tie-on to your leader? I've got a few from Cutthroat Leaders, and they are great.
  5. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +410 / 0
    Maybe I am a cheap buzzard, but why buy the tool? Simply buy the tubing and use Polypropylene yarn. It floats naturally.

Simply thread the line through the cut tube, turn it around and thread it back through with a small loop as in the video, Insert the yarn and proceed as shown. Should work the same as with the tool.

The tool would be just another thing to dangle off your vest or necklace.

It looks like a great idea though.
    G-spot4u likes this.
  6. Breck Active Member

Lynnwood, WA
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    I pretty much only use Frog Hair indicators. They come in a variety of sizes. You rig them inline with your leader, they are adjustable, and you never have the problem of your leader getting wrapped around them. Aside from those, you can always peg a corkie to your leader with a toothpick.
  7. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +268 / 0
    Why use yarn? I know everyone is entitled to their own taste, but I can't keep a yarn bobber on the surface, and I don't exactly throw a monster K-stone every time I nymph. I use Thingamabobbers for big nymphing and Palsa foams for winter midging and small streams. Works great.
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,664 / 0
    This way seems slick.
  9. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    I like the concept. Wonder if goat hair would work as well?

I have goat hair. My neighbor also has two goats. Maybe a midnight snipping part is in order.

I am going to test out my theory on using just the tube and hair with a leader. Test results to be published in the near future. Stand by!
  10. t_law Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +38 / 0
    I used this tutorial from Reds and I gotta say it worked great. Just need a nail knot tool and some old fly line and you got yourself an easily adjustable setup.

11. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,664 / 0
    Why don't you use your own hair.........................Or don't you have any. LOL
  12. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Not all that much, Jim. :)
    jjaims and Old Man like this.
  13. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    This is the setup I use most of the time as well. Started using amnesia as my butt section for steelhead and have recently adopted the practice for trout as well. So much better to read what's going on UNDER the bobber when you see the angle at which your offering is dangling. Might want to check out the thingamaleader system from Red's as well if you want to try this out yourself.
  14. G-spot4u Active Member

Ratings: +70 / 0
    censored
    Olive bugger likes this.
  15. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Will check out the tubing thingy tomorrow and get back to you.
    I am thinking that in a pinch, no pun intended, you could use some surgical tubing but I am not sure it would work as well. Pretty soft stuff that rubber.
  16. G-spot4u Active Member

Ratings: +70 / 0
  17. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ok, UPDATE!

I took some rubber tubing like used to hold pencil lead on the line for steelheading. Cut off a small 1/4" section with a pair of scissors.
    Threaded some line through it and then doubled it back to form a
    loop on one side of the tube. Used some yarn of the type used to tie on to steelhead hooks, the stuff used to tie yarn egg patterns.

Put it inside the loop and pulled it through. It looks like it would work. The soft rubber tube will hold but not real tight. I do not think it would slip with casting. Since I do not have hard plastic tubing to test, I will have to await that test. A trip to the river might be in order.

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE!

Doubled over the yarn in the loop and it tightened right up. I think this will work.
    G-spot4u and Luke77 like this.
  18. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    I do not tie tube flies, so I do not have tubes to use. But I would reckon that they would work as well as the rubber tubing.
    However the rubber tubing seems to work very well. I test floated it and think I will try it on the water as soon as I can.

The trick is to keep tension on the line and yarn. The rubber tube is
    very forgiving.

Would like to hear comments from other on this idea.