How far should I be casting?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by PatrickH, Jan 23, 2014.

1. PatrickH

PatrickH Active Member

Thanks for all the helpful advice from everyone. I know it's about placement and it all depends on the water and all that, but I was curious as to how far I should be able to cast with the type of equipment I have, not as in how far I should I be casting when I fly fish.
    Like if you where a really good caster and was just going for distance just for the fun of it, how far would you be able to cast with a 9ft 5 weight setup. Since I'm new, I'm not sure if 50 feet is far or if it was possible to get 90 feet.

I mentioned possibly needing a different rod because watching my rod tip, it seems to be really floppy and not being able to keep my line as high off the ground to get more distance. I'm sure I am probably doing something wrong or I was just maxed out? From where I stand, I can get my fly out to about 50+ feet.
    Some places I have fished I just flip it out and be in a good zone, but some river I have gone to I need to get out farther. I don't have waders.. I probably shouldn't even be bothering to fish those spots, but for right now, I mostly go out for the practice.

Thanks for all the info from everyone, it's good information for me and my learning. I will read up on those links posted and maybe talk to some of the guys at Cabela's and see if they can take me out back for some fly casting lessons. I don't get out that often and I don't knwo anyone who fly fishes to learn from.. So I watch Youtube videos and try to remember parts when I'm on the water. I have one fishing partner and he just used his fly rod for the first time yesterday.. haha. He's learning from me :p He does ok though, but I think we need to be on a smaller body of water or at least a different time of the year.

Lot's of learning to do..

gormaci likes this.
  2. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

When my girlfriend first started fishing with me, before I let her use my gear, she was using a basic beginner setup. Something like an SA outfit in a seven weight she borrowed from her stepdad. After about six trips out she was positive her rod wasn't casting like it should. I grabbed it, took one or two backcasts, and layed out eighty feet. I was surprised how much punch it had.
    Now after three years, she lays out some line,and rarely smacks rocks on the backcast anymore. Which accounted for many,many lost flies.
    So I guess what I'm trying to say is it to just keep on keeping on. It will all fall into place eventually.

3. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

100+foot with a good 5 wt is doable for a good caster. If your last name is Rajeff then 250ish is more like it

weiliwen likes this.
  4. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

And Anil from PS fly co in Tacoma would be a better person to talk to than some guy stocking shelves at cabelas. I believe he's a certified master casting instructor and he has a shop full of rods and lines that you can cast. Seriously though, support local fly shops please.

weiliwen and triploidjunkie like this.
  5. PatrickH

PatrickH Active Member

The fly fishing department at Cabela's in Marysville has actual fly fisherman and fly tiers. Tacoma is like 2 hours away..

Steve Rajeff has some cool videos, thanks :)

gormaci likes this.
  6. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

Generally, when I start seeing the flyline backing appear at the rod tip, I've got enough flyline out for decent casting distance....

But...I'm just bullshitting. I agree with what other posters have already said; especially the suggestion that keeping the fly in the water the greater period of time is advantageous, and that the quality of cast is far more important than distance. Flailing water with frequent casts is not productive....unless your objective is simply to practice casting.

I'm primarily a stillwater fisherman...mostly I go to the fish, rather than attempt to reach them with a very lengthy cast. Of course, with a stealthy kayak approach it's rather easy, since I don't have big dumb float tube frog legs flapping around below the surface to scare the fish. I just drift in, sitting on top of my big plastic log.

PatrickH likes this.
  7. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Ahh, I thought you were talking about the one in lacey or whatever. In that case stop by pacific fly fishers in mill creek, or any other fly shop. Trust me the guys in cabelas working a job in a fishing section of a sports warehouse, versus the guys who eat, sleep and breath flyfishing are in two totally different leagues. Or don't trust me and keep going to cabelas. Last time I was in cabela's fly section a few years back, the guy asked me what weight pole I use. If you don't get that, then cabelas is probably just you're style.

8. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

The problem with those guys though is that they will do there best to sell you the Cabela's brand stuff first, which really pisses me off. I went through a Cabela's faze and since got smarter. I purchased a new spey rod today. Cabelas had the same rod, was closer to me, and I had a coupon that would have knocked 20 bucks off the price.
    I still decided to buy my new rod from Pacific Fly Fishers. Ben, Joe, and Michael are A++++ dudes. Heck Ben spent half an hour just bullshitting with me at there casting pond while I tried out spey rods. Never once did he suggest the Cabelas LSI either!

9. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Wait.... what weight do you use;)

Pat Lat likes this.
  10. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Many years ago a local steelhead fisherman of note Al Kundsen told me "put your money in your gas tank, fancy gear don't catch fish fishing does". If you spend enough time fishing your casting distance & fish catching will improve with time & experiance

Kyle Smith likes this.
  11. John Vancil

John Vancil New Member

Patrick if you want to diy your casting practice there is some great videos on youtube. I would suggest
    Lefty Kreg and Orvis videos. Some thoughts when practice throwing only what you can comfortably
    cast while maintaining a proper loop. Cast as easily as possible to maintain the loop. I joined a fly
    fishing club and we have a certified instructor that helped me and lots of practice. If I were you I would
    join a fly fishing club and there are other great benefits to fly clubs. TIGHT LINES John

12. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Well I still have to say it's your line! The S.A. air-cell trout line is as cheap as they come. If it is a weight forward line the head of the WF line is probably only about 30 feet long. Meaning that you can only keep 30 to maybe 35 feet of line in the air before shooting, shooting 15 to 20 feet matches your 50 to 55 foot cast.

You say your rod is a 5/6 weight, well the rio gold or the s.a. Gpx would be good on the rod and I think the GPX head is some 47 feet long which you can keep in the air 47 to 50 feet before shooting + shooting 15 to 20 feet = 67 to 70 feet. The GPX is a great all around line and is rated at 5 1/2 weight which should fit your rod perfect and not over weight it.

Like I said it's the damn line! trout heads or trout lines are always light and have shorter heads for light presentations in close. If you want to cast farther start with a line that will do it! One that was designed for some distance!

jwg and underachiever like this.
  13. LD

LD Active Member

About all you need to know. There are times that you need to cast further to reach fish but most people try to cast further than they need. If you are reading water and have an idea where the fish are you would know how far to cast. No sense in casting 80 feet when the fish are 20 feet from you. I am as guilty as anyone of this. Something that hit home with me was when a guide told me that fisherman put on waders wade deep and try to cast to the middle or other side of the river, others float the river so they can fish the banks.......go figure.

Kent Lufkin and Old406Kid like this.
  14. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

If you are close to Marysville you are close to Pacific Flyfishers or Avid Angler. Use your local fly shops as they are an incredible resource and they won't be around if people continue to patronize the big box stores. If you were close to Bellingham, Confluence Fly shop has some great teachers as well! Rick

Anil likes this.
  15. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

PH.....You should be able to cast that setup in the 60/70 foot range.

16. plecoptera419

plecoptera419 Member

This!!! Mark is spot on here. First of all, most rod manufacturers are underrating there rods these days. Most rods are underrated by a full line weight or more.

With that said, I would highly suggest getting out a calculator, a measuring tape, some pennies, then reading this http://www.common-cents.info/part1.pdf , and then use this (the simplified version) http://www.common-cents.info/CCS_basic_Layout_1.pdf to find more accurately, how heavy a line it will take to load your rod properly. Then buy a line that matches your actual rod rating. Not what it says on the blank. You can use this http://www.affta.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/fly_line_weight_specs.pdf as a reference for grain weights of lines, and then buy a line from a manufacturer that actually publishes grain weight specs for their lines and match it to your rod. Rio is pretty good about this as well as a few others. The rest simply comes down to practice, and perfecting your technique.

I have found the common cents system to be an accurate method for matching fly rods and lines, and have found every rod I own to be underrated by at least one full rod weight. My six weights are actually seven weights, and my seven weight is an 8 weight. I'm not suggesting overlining your rod by any means, but I am suggesting that a matched line and rod will improve your casting as long as your technique is correct.

17. Thom Collins

Thom Collins Active Member

A friend of mine who just passed use to tell this story. He was fishing some blue ribbon water a few years back. Waded out about waist deep and started fishing. An older guy appeared at the bank and asked how the fishing was. My friend replied that he had failed to even get a half hearted bite. The old man said that fishing was lights out just yesterday. Jerry asked in frustration, "Where are these fish?!" The old man replied, "Just about right where your standing."

18. jwg

jwg Active Member

A friend checked out one of his least favorite rods using the CCS approach.

Discovered it was marked two line weights off.

He lined it properly and it became one of his favorite rods.

J

19. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

the way I've always looked at it is, you should be able to cast and present your fly in a distance thats comfortable for you. If you can reliably make 35 foot casts that are accurate and efficiently turn over your fly, but you struggle with say... a 50' cast, your going to fish more effectivly with your short cast. If all you do is try and bomb out long casts but don't have the skills to do it, your just going to get frustrated and have a shitty day on the water.Presentation is the most important anyway. As you fish and gain experience, it will all come together and your be casting fine with time. I don't think Rajeff could cast 250' his first day out.

that being said, I'd say with a average 5 weight trout rod if you can cast 50ish feet with minimal false casting and without many tailing loops you should be good to go in most situations.

20. snowstory2

snowstory2 New Member

I'm pretty new to fly fishing, as well, but All I want to share according to my personal experience is that the very 1st salmon I caught was happened when I was untangling my fly line with my egg fly in the running water about 20' down stream from me.

rory likes this.