How not to handle fish for photos

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by rustybee, Mar 5, 2014.

1. rustybee

rustybee Active Member

2. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

I am extremely critical of articles like that.

While what is said makes sense, there is No scientific data or references with actual statistics, methods, results etc.

In order to truely come to that conclusion a study needs to be performed, where you subject fish to the different grips and see how long they last and if it increases mortality.

As is I rest the fish in my hand or will gently grip like I am picking them up mid body, and putting there head in the water when I am alone.

3. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Hmm, where's' my beer and popcorn...?

Travis Bille likes this.
  4. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    I agree with red arch, the article seems to make sense but also seems to be making a bunch of assumptions as well. As for taking pictures, it's pretty far down on my list of things to do while fishing (or ever, really). Anytime I've taken a photo I normally end up thinking it sucks, and I know what a fish looks like so I don't need it for those purposes. I sometimes take pics of fish I keep so I guess I'm a bit of dbag in that regard.

5. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    Here you go.

[​IMG]

Roper likes this.
  6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The absolute only technique you can use to catch and release a fish without the chance of doing it some harm is not to fish. Don't fish.

Here we go again and again, if taking photos of trout kills them, how come the studies in regards to C&R of Yellowstone Cutthroat indicates that only the mortality rate is 3 percent and the average trout located at the popular fishing spots are caught and release an average of 8 times per season?

ANd, as I've said before, if a trout is killed by removing it from the water for a photo, why do Pay to Play fisheries lose so few fish and those fish are caught time and time again?

This subject drives me nuts. Take a look at the gallery photos. The vast, vast majority of the photos show fish out of the water pictures. If you act quickly and carefully, you can take a photo of a trout without killing it. I've been doing so for decades.

I remember catching the same trout over and over again at a private lake and could identify the trout by an osprey claw mark. It must have been an absolute miracle that I took photos of that trout and it survived... time and time again.

7. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    Thats a long winded article. 99% blah blah blah, 1% be nice to fish.

8. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

Instead of an article about taking photos of fish, I'd like to read more articles about taking interesting fishing photos. I'm not photographer, but the shots I like to take often don't even have fish in them - more just trying to capture the moment. One of my favorite photos with an actual fish in it is nothing more than my hand in the water and the blur and splash of a tail slap.

Or the one of my daughter fishing the Yakima canyon on a warm blue sky summer day. I have no idea if she even caught any fish that day, but she will only be 13 once, and those days are more important than some catalog of fish.

Or heck - my avatar picture. I think I caught a bunch of 12" cuts. The total of the day was more than the sum of the fish.

9. Cole L

Cole L Fish Fiend

It makes sense in a respect to the fish. If a giant was holding me by my own body weight on my soft tissued stomach, I'd probably be pretty uncomfortable too. I'm not sure if it would harm me permanently though. Then again, I'm not a fish.

fredaevans likes this.
  10. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Media:

Oh no! You're doing the UK-grip in your avatar!! SCUM OF THE EARTH! SCUM OF THE EARTH!

Peyton00 likes this.
  11. Cole L

Cole L Fish Fiend

I see we have children here

12. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    The joke was funny. It was clever and a play on the original post and on your post which needed your avatar to make it work. 3 things coming together for a good laugh.

Gary Knowels and Travis Bille like this.
  13. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Media:

Yeah man, it was just a joke.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  14. typhoon

typhoon I fish

One of my favs. Never removed from the water (and no death grip).
    [​IMG]

Cole L and Travis Bille like this.