How to tie flies.

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step / Video' started by Old Man, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,734 / 0
    I was wondering if you have ever thought of a section on how to ties flies. Like tying certain flies in a step by step format. One of the Mods (Jerry), had this on another webs site. It was helpful if you were to tie up something new.

Just van Old Man asking
    Patrick Gould likes this.
  2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,734 / 0
    I thought that the Mods would pick up on this. When I was on the other web site it came in handy when tying up something new.
  3. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    I think a SBS / Video subsection of the flytying forum is a great idea. I'll raise my hand up if Chris needs a warm body to mod or do stuff for that section.
  4. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    That's a great idea Jim. There are other nice sites with step by step recipes, but since this is the best forum it makes sense to add a section like that.
  5. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +888 / 1
    Jim, this is a great idea. It's easier to upload photos and videos now to the site, so this should be pretty painless for those who want to contribute. Expanding on the fly swap idea - how to's and recipies could be posted as well as sending them through the mail. I'll chip in!
  6. Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    OMJ, I will throw my hat in the ring to help herd these cats. I have several detailed patterns already formatted. It will not be that difficult to add step by step photos the next time I tie one of the flies. If Chris endorses the concept, I will post a sample and people can decide if it has merits.
  7. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +238 / 3
    Great idea. I'd be happy to add content.
  8. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +296 / 0
    Great Idea
    be happy to add a few
  9. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Steve hard to think of something you tying not having merit
  10. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +122 / 0
    Very good idea . It would be a great resource for new tiers everybody .
  11. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +302 / 0
    I'm on board.

Question is, would you rather see one main tying forum that has prefixes for (How To) (Swap) (Pattern) or should those topics continue to be broken out?
  12. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    I'd rather see them continue to be broken out. Makes it easier to get to what you want to see rather than wading through a bunch of posts.

Thanks Chris!
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,547 / 9
    Cool! I think adding a SBS to the tying sub forum. I value the SBS shared by many talented tyers. Great idea Jim! Did I just type that? Yikes!
  14. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +302 / 0
    Not many threads to pull over from the tying forum to seed this. If anyone wants to take lead in this section (kicking it off covering a topic, moderating, etc) let me know. There doesn't have to be just one person either.
  15. Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    Chris, I will be doing a step by step of my Puget Sound Slider over the next few days. I will send it to you for your comments. I would be happy to help moderate this sub-forum.
  16. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +356 / 1
    I'm in as well though my ties aren't what most would say are worthy of SBS. I'll have to do some really sexy stuff now that I have more time.:)
  17. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA

I can moderate what I do need to do?
  18. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +1,012 / 1
    Great idea. I would like to have responded to Big-E and Old Man sooner but I have been "off the grid" for awhile. Always interested in a learning experience.
    Be glad to help.
  19. jaybo41 Member

Eastern Great Lakes
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    I love the idea of a SBS subsection.
  20. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Hopefully we'll get some material added here soon. I'm still unpacking after my move and haven't got my fly room set up yet.