how was it for you?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ray helaers, Apr 29, 2002.

1. ray helaers New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    We were taking the boat over to Dry Falls yesterday morning, and we suckered ourselves into floating the Yakima instead. Seemed like a good idea at the time: the river was in better than decent shape (good level, 2-3' vis in the canyon); was going to mean a lot less driving; promised much smaller crowds; freinds we ran into at the truck-stop spoke of clouds of mothers-day caddis on Friday.

Well. We did drive a lot less (home by 11:00 instead of 2:30). We did have the river almost to ourselves (shared Umptanum to Slab with 2-3 other boats). The caddis, however, were conspicuosly absent, at least on our float.

We didn't get skunked, but did not have what I would call a great day (rose about a dozen, hooked maybe 8, boated 4 or 5). We did have a very good time coaxing some tough fish out of some impossible drifts, including one incredibly complex foam-eddie (a killer, very satisfying).

So now I want to pick at the scab. Anybody else on the river yesterday? How'd you do? Should I have floated Ringer to Reds?

AND (ouch!) how was Dry Falls yesterday?
  2. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    I was banking fishing near the Slab last night. Caddis swarming in the brush, but my ties just a little too big, didn't have much daylight and river just a bit high and cloudy. Those are my excuses for catching only two.
  3. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    Oh, and I also broke my rod seat.
  4. whosyourdaddy New Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I was on the upper Yak near Cle Elum yesterday and managed to hook a nice 19inch bow hammering March Browns. There was a large hatch or March Browns and Caddis Mid-morning to Mid-afternoon. There was also a hatch of Salmon Flies. It is always easy to recognize these clumsy large flies buzzing through the air. I did not know that they were all that avail on the Yak. I sure see lots this time of year at the Deschutes but not so much on the Yak.

Scott