I give you....JigTruderBead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Randall Clark, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

I didn't want to encroach on the vast amounts of knowledge being dropped on the "Yarnies" thread...

If you want to peg a bead, use this.

If you want to swing a marabou, use this.

If you want to throw a jig under a bobber, use this.

Who says one fly can't do it all?

Who says you can't make everyone happy?

You're welcome.

[​IMG]

2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

I would have tied it balance style, but it's ok I guess. :)

Randall Clark likes this.
  3. PT

PT Physhicist

Looks too much like a fly to be fished under a bobber. It's not balanced because it's supposed to be swung..... OP must not be very well versed in bobber fishing "flies."

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

I'm with PT. It'd swing wonderfully. It'd be all weird under a bobber.

5. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Nah, I've caught plenty of steel on traditional swinging patterns while floating them under indicators, both as a static presentation and as a swung fly at the end of my drift. It would work fine under an indicator, just better tied balance style.

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

The hell do you know about bobber fishing?

7. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Nothing, I use "Indicators" if it bobs, you are doing it wrong.

tkww and Evan Burck like this.
  8. Randall Clark

so wrong it's right.

in all seriousness, that's really what I more in mind...

I have yet to find a fly that I really like for both. The buggers that I typically nymph with in the winter are slender with a sparse marabou tail so they sink better with minimal weight, but I don't like them for swinging & the flies I'm typically swinging in the winter are similar to the above, just minus the bead...basically anything with marabou that gives a slightly larger profile.

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Hey, I watched you catch a steelhead using a non fly fishing bobber. It bobbed plenty.

10. Randall Clark

ah, but see then it would lose the true "jig" qualities.

Irafly likes this.
  11. PT

PT Physhicist

I'd rather see my bobber bob than do nothing. More times it bobs, the better.

12. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

True, true, but those were wave "bobs", not fish bobs a clear distinction no doubt.

13. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Rather than using an inline or slinky weight under a bobber.. I'd make an approximate 3/8 oz shot line to about a 3' to 4' tippet and that flyjigtruderegg pattern would be all kinds of awesome bobbing down a river under a center pin.

Irafly likes this.
  14. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

That's clearly a swinging fly. Off a bobber it would jump up and down and we all know steelhead don't like the jumping crap because they don't like to miss.

15. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

I refuse to tie any of that new-agey crap. Only the most traditional for me. IMG_2538.jpg

16. Josh Stroud

Josh Stroud Active Member

As others have mentioned, this should be only be used for swinging...

17. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

A slow strip retrieve off a full floater in frog water would also work on the humpies, chum, and coho. Putting the bead up front may be worth playing with for more of the ESL approach - would also make it more jiggy I think.

18. John Weston

John Weston Member

I need to tie this for this weekend. bead up front an one on back like the photo. hmm, that sound good. if I can't get a chum on the fly rod I'll break out the gear and see if that works. wow, I am hooked.
    JW

19. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

I frigging love this fly! I bet you you could do some serious Steel slaying with it! I would totally fish that for a full day! I really would.

20. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

You could probably do some serious Cutty slaying with it as well. Call it "the whole package" fly or "the dirty". It has everything!