I have decided to quit

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Evan Virnoche, Jun 28, 2013.

1. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +119 / 0
    Handed my first 2hander when I was 10 or 12 years old; real Green-heart, silk line and all. Mr.Coles (yes a Scotsman) and I'd motor up the mouth of the Bella Colla and set up a tent camp. Only down side is it could really rain! But guy that the nac for building huge beach fires to cook out food, dry clothing, keep warm etc. I swear to this day the man could set a buck of water on fire.

Anyway, Father very ill (he died from a brain hemorrhage) and moved out of Ocean Falls, BC to Vancouver. Was many, many years till I saw my next spey rod.

But off the back stories. I had to 'self learn' the second time around (Sage sold me #4 of the 9150-4 off their production line direct.) But I've taught a lot of people how to cast a 2hander and there are a few 'universals.' With one major exception it was a lousy match up of caster/line and rod. Poor Sod was totally over matched by what fly store clown had sold him. Soon learned to bring at least 4 rods, frequently five, with different line set up, different builders, different actions BUT ONE CONSTANT! NEVER A SINK TIP OF ANY KIND WHILE HE LEARNED the basics and got them down pretty good. Then a light RIO Virsa tip, no more until that was under control.

Next tip: Unless you fish REALLY BIG RIVER's a 14 foot 8wt is all you need, but a rod built by some one(model) whose designs match your style of casting.

But back the the 4 or 5 rods, run them through the one at a time with ongoing 'instructions' (first part of the cast is just a line lift to get as much of that stuff off the water you can as you set up the anchor). A LIFT, NOT A DRAG IT BACK THROUGH THE WATER. If you do that, you're dead meat already. Hard habit to break!

Second bit was just bring the rod around (double spey here) and set a proper anchor roughly 1.5 rod lenghts out and a SMALL tad below you. Etc.

Two things you really have to constantly remind is when (I have to think about this with a Skagit Head -fuzzy memory as I rarely use them) I STICK THAT ROD TIP UP AS HIGH IN THE AIR AS YOU CAN GET IT! "D Loop" has to have somewhere to go; don't crimp it.

Where to aim your cast? You have a few options, but not many. You're forward cast should go right over the fly line to leader connection and a hard stop aiming over the top of the highest tree you can see. Why? Gravity Works. You need to give the line/leader time to roll out . Aim low and you'll have a line crash.

Second cast they learn is the Perry Polk; we all get line crashes and come RIGHT BACK with one of those and you'll rip the line right out of the water and send it screaming out. A 'Never Fail.'

But back to the rods; 'they' will find one that's 'just works.' Now we play with line changes. And we will find some that really do, some that really don't. Put one on that does and lets go fishing.

Last call on a very (like you can get really hurt error due to forward cast) is having the rod too straight up and down (vertical). Line will follow the rod tip, the fly will follow that. If you (until the rod passes your ear) DON'T have that thing canted off 5 - 10 degrees that fly is aimed right at the back of your head!

JUST TRUST ME ON THAT ONE!
  2. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    What did i just read
  3. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    God "I suffer small minds light, lightly." I see you live in "Mill Creek" I assume NE of Seattle? In my Seattle banking days I was the one who wrote (golf course included) all the cheques that paid for the original development. My Japanese counter parts were a delight to work with, but they could drink an Elephant under the table.

You appear to have little in the way of personal history, but some do. Had Japanese Exchange Student stay for us several months (Banking classes at the University of Washington) and my two young children taught him how to read/speak English. They were supposed to know ..... Jeese. Shigiro Hirimotto. (Skip the spelling.) Three piece suit rolling on the lawn 'wrasslin' with my kids. Mutual sequels of laughter, the a BBQ.

Went Steelhead fishing almost every week end. Steelhead Trout Club of Washington loved the guy. Taught him how to fly fish, I did the 'gear thing.' (I'm still a member bye the bye.)

Took some doing, but he did catch a couple (three?) fish and 'Neighborhood' Pot Luck Dinner followed. Kid was "King of the Hill." Would go to the monthly meetings and there was always a 'raffle,' some of the stuff was really 'high end.' He'd toss in $20-$30 dollars for tickets and actually won a very good Lamiglass fly rod.

He was jumping up and down so hard I thought he put a hole in the Union Hall floor where we held our meetings. While he was here we had our 'Annual Speggie feed. Home made Red Dego wine, stakes, salads, pot luck. "Shig, you've had 'enough!'

One of his last nights and he looks at me and 'Why you so good to me?'

'Shig, you're Family, we take good care of our Own here in Washington.' Man actually cried.

Turns out he was the son of the Chairman of the Board of Japan's largest bank. End game of that was Rainier BanCorp and Rainier Bank did multi-millions of dollars worth of business together. Moved to Kalifornia in 1984 so no idea if that continued, or to what degree as RBC is now part of Bank of America.

'"Turd," I grew up in far different times, but I suspect you've never just sat around a beach/camp fire, with a cup of coffee, and no one said a word. Major activity was someone tossing in another log, someone from another camp sight pulling up a folding chair and 'any coffee left?'

No, someone would get up and crank off the Colman Stove, some one would take the coffee pot and swish it out in the Toutle/Kalama River. A few minutes later: 'chug-chug-chug.'

Done and a nice pour of Bourbon into the cup. And then someone would suggest 'SomeMores' for desert. I don't care if it was 60 years ago or 6 days, no one say's 'no.'

I'm sorry for what appears to be a rant, but you need to get a life that isn't sitting in some Bar? I'll leave at that save you wish to exchange PM's. If you wish to rise above you're present position you must think ahead.

But your choice of Board names speaks loudly. I'll leave it at that.

"Pass it forward?" Or Not.

fae
  4. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +105 / 0

Some great advice from one of the gurus in PNW spey casting!
    Ian Broadie and underachiever like this.
  5. Evan Virnoche Guest

I'm incredibly confused by your posts i wont even lie.

As for all the mill creek stuff and japanese um ok.

My board name is fine and i dont drink. Thanks for your input
    Jason Rolfe and Thomas Williams like this.
  6. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Just a thought only. Your 'friends/you' call you "Bass Turds." I'm no 'shrink' but what does that say to your face, let alone when your not there?

As to a posters history, of major interest to me, and probably others. Context if you will. Been there, fished with what, for what, success? Etc.

Further comments come to mind, but I'll stop here.

fae
  7. Evan Virnoche Guest

Thanks again

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2
  8. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +409 / 16
    I call him Evan and have nothing but good things to say about him.
    BASS_TURDS likes this.
  9. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +643 / 0

Yep super guy.
  10. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    HA HA HA HA HA, someone needs to watch epic rap battles of history on youtube. this will make you laugh.
    David Dalan likes this.
  11. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +163 / 0
    Speycasting is interesting for sure. Fred knows of what he speaks and will never steer you wrong, unless you're not hearing him correctly.

I sent you a DT10 a while ago and wonder if you've tried casting it? It's heavy for your rod but should be perfect at short range. If you concentrate on that line you'll learn to spey cast, if you get bummed because you can't shoot much and don't try to make it work it won't. Stick with that line and you'll end up having easy peasy casting on all the shooting heads and short/mid belly lines. It really is about learrning how to make it work and skagit lines don't teach anyone anything other than repetition. Speycasting is so much more than that and so much more rewarding once you figure out how it works.

When the 10wt. DT becomes too heavy go for an 8 or 9. and continue, you'll get a little more distance with each step down (wind nonexistant). I'll send you a 9wt DT if you're willing to fish it consistantly. Go through these lines and you'll end up the best speycaster on the block. It's all about feel and adjustment, the rod and line will give you the feedback, just listen to it.
    Dave Evans likes this.