I need a good corned beef recipe FAST.

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by surfnsully, Mar 17, 2013.

1. surfnsully

surfnsully Active Member

Any good suggestions?

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

check alton brown's website

3. ribka

ribka Active Member

First open up a bottle of Jamisons and put on some Van Morrison and the Chieftons

I did the Alton brown recipe yesterday with a tweak. I boiled for 2 hours with suggested spices. Added juniper berries, a bit of all spice.

Finished off in oven.I had a jar of grain mustard, added a bit of tapatio hot sauce , a little brown sugar and some canola oil. rubbed over boiled brisket and cooked in oven at 375 for another 45 minutes.

Cut up carrots, red potatoes, wedge cut cabbages place in water juices of boiled meat and slow boil for about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and I added a little butter salt and pepper to taste.

Take out meat from oven. Let cool a bit and slice meat.

Served 10people last night and received many compliments.

4. surfnsully

surfnsully Active Member

Thanks for the ideas folks. I will let you know how it turns out.

5. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Ribka, Your Avatar scares me. What scares me the most is the fact that I lived through that era

6. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Alton Brown's website has a good recipe on it. That's why I mentioned it. I used that recipe last year. Brown's version also doesn't overcook the cabbage. This year I'm using the "invited out" method.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

I think once you crack open the Jamesons, you won't care how the corned beef turns out. ;)

8. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

I modified Ribka's idea of wet followed by dry cooking. I simmered two piece of corned beef for two hours and then I moved them into a 325o oven for another hour. They turned out very well and I will have corned beef sandwiches for lunch this week - yum.

Steve

9. Jerry Daschofsky

I should say, I always crockpot mine. I simply put it in on high, then once it hits near boiling, I turn it down to low and simmer all day. Put mine in the crockpot this morning around 8am, pulled out at 5pm, let it rest then cut it up. Came out perfect. Nice and tender.

10. surfnsully

surfnsully Active Member

Thanks Jerry. I will try that next weekend. You can never get enough corned beef:)

11. Just.Mark

Just.Mark Member

How difficult would corn beef be in a dutch oven?

12. Jerry Daschofsky

Are you talking the 3 legged camp oven or the footless model used in the house?

Both are doable, but you'll have to refresh the coals a few times on the camp model.

13. Just.Mark

Just.Mark Member

The one I have doesnt have legs but its a camp model even if it wasnt desighned that way.

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Can you take pics? I'm curious to see this pot.

15. Just.Mark

Just.Mark Member

When I get back from afghanistan I will take a picture of it.

16. Jerry Daschofsky

Oh, that's a piss poor excuse! ;)

Stay safe.

17. surfnsully

surfnsully Active Member

Well, I finally cooked up my corned beef today and used the crock pot as suggested by Jerry. A bottle of Guiness Stout, a few spices, carrots and cabbage and it turned out great!

Sandwiches for tomorrow :)