I need reel advise

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by J Badgerman, Dec 14, 2002.

1. J Badgerman New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I found out I'm getting a 14' spey rod for a Christmas gift and I would like to find a decent reel for not alot of cash and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the subject. I'm thinking the under $100.00. But of course I don't even know if you can get a crummy spey reel for that. Thanks for the advice. Oh I almost forgot the rod is a 9/10. with moderate action and is a St. Croix Imperial I think. But I didn't get a great discription so I can't be possitive. :HMMM If it is an Imperial she got a killer deal on it $95.00 off what St. Croix is asking for and I love a good deal especially if it's for fishing gear.

Thanks again
  2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,709 / 0
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

Go to the Classified ads on this site and go to the thread on Redington large arbor reels 9/10,by adamsoutlet. He's selling a reel for $45.00 plus what ever for a grand total of under $55.00. It is big enough for a Regular Spey line w/backing.

Jim
  3. dv Guest

I just picked up one of the Redington reels from the classifieds for exactly the same purpose. Jim had pointed this out to me as well. It just arrived Thursday and it's a great value. I'm very pleased.

dv
  4. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
  5. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +69 / 0
    I have the 14'St. Croix with a Rio Windcutter. I also have the Reddington large arbor 9/10. However, I originally had the line on a Tioga large arbor. There was less than 100 yards of backing and the tail end of the line still rubbed on the outside of the reel. I'm sure this rubbing has damaged the last 10 feet of line over time by the fellow that had it before me. I also needed to re-spool to the right hand. I used my Reddington LA 9/10 to re-spool. I couldn't even get the last 50 feet of backing on the Reddington.

My solution? I bought a spare spool, standard arbor, for the Tioga. It now holds over a hundred yard of backing and has room for sink tips on the Windcutter with no binding of the line.

I use Tioga 12's, standard arbor, on both my Sage and St. Croix Spey rods, which hold 120 to 130 feet of line, and plenty of backing. Tioga 12's run about $180.

Do you really need 150 to 200 yards of backing? I don't know, I've never spooled a 15-pound Metalhead and don't know if any of the other guys here have. For me it was decision to protect my 120 to 150 dollar Spey line with lots of backing, no binding and plenty of room for tips.

Someday I may get a 7/8 Spey or 10 wt single hander that might fit on the Reddington LA 9/10. Until then, it sits in my reel case, but I sure got a great deal on it.

Matt
  6. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt

200 yards of backing,that's a long way to chase a fish 700 plus ft. I don't know if I could reel that much back on without wearing out my arm.Two plus football fields. I've caught a few chums and they have yet to leave the pool thay I've caught them in. In fact I've never ever had to chase a fish. Maybe all the fish that I have caught have been lazy and didn't want to run. Lets see Spey line 150' plus 10' of leader plus 200 yards of backing. That'a a long way. I know that the backing is there to prevent your fly line from coiling up and getting kinky. But isnt it going a little overboard to have a fly line 150 long.

I think that I will quit now as I might get in over my head and drown.

Jim
  7. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Hey Jim

I love to hear about Steelies that take 150 or 200 yards of backing... It's especially fun to hear stories where they take all that line "in a matter of seconds":WINK I've caught what I'm told is more than my share of steelhead, but I haven't caught one of those yet. I seem to catch Wimpy tuna down in Baja too... They've never gone over a hundred yards on a single run either... Some guys have all the luck...
  8. billylee New Member

Has anyone here every used one of the big pfluger medalists (spey or otherwise). I browse (read dream) once in a while for low cost spey outfits and have wondered if the 1598rcx might work out at around $45. I've read that the supreme's $65 or so might also be a decent deal.

Pfluger seems to have a weird reputation. Some people say you don't need anything better than that really but you rarely hear about folks using them.

Billy
  9. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Ahhhh... The Pflueger mystery... when I started out, Pflueger was kind of the Ford F150 of fly fishing. There was fancier stuff out there, but deep down, you knew it would work, it was affordable, and it was Amurikan dang it! Since then tons of other stuff has come (and gone) to the market, and it isn't made in the U.S. of Gosh-darn A anymore. I personally would fish one (even the new ones) over the sierra okumas out there. I have a 1498 DA that I picked up around '78 that I still use from time to time. Holds a 11 wt Triangle Taper saltwater line with room to spare... Never thought of it for a spey reel... Now that you mention it, I think I will fish it on my lighter spey combos! It'll give the "gotta have the newest and bestest" crowd a heart-attack!
  10. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt

I was also looking at those reels as I don't like to lay out big bucks when a little will do the same thing. Beside there is nothing wrong with those reels. It's just that everyone wants to have a big name brand. But not I as I'm toooooo cheap to want to send alot.

Jim
  11. BOBLAWLESS New Member

Port Ludlow, WA, USA.
    As for being spooled, I've only had that happen to me a time or two.
    Once, I got a hold of this chum in the Hood and he cleaned me out. Probably still running for all I know.
    The other time I couldn't hold the fish in the pool and he made it to the rapids below me. All line gone. I couldn't give chase because of a massive rock that stuck out into the river. I thought about just jumping in after him, but a little voice said no.

In both cases a bigger reel would not have helped. I use a Hardy St. Aiden fly reel that I just love because of the loud, beautiful music she plays when I have a fish on. There's lots of snob appeal in a Hardy also. Cost me $80 in 1964. Don't know about now. :DUNNO
    Little dick, big click, some say. BOBLAWLESS
  12. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Medalist's are still a great deal. Not sexy, but affordable, simple, effective drag, take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

The Supremes are a reel (pun intended) deal. Good drag, better anodizing, and affordable. I'd go the next reel size up from the rod line weight; they're on the smallish side relative to their stated line weight.
  13. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    The Redington AL and RS2 reels are being blown out because, well, to be blunt, they had a lot of troubles and returns with them. Been there, done that. As sexy as they look and as seemingly a great deal as they appear, I wouldn't advised buying one.

The Tioga is a super popular reel with guides. Why? Affordable, super tough, and the dang things just keep on working. Guides don't want their clients to use equipment that doesn't perform, but guides also can't afford a lot. So, the Tioga fits that niche well.

I can see you learned the hard way about the Tioga large arbor spools. The standard arbor provides all of the benefits of the Tioga large arbor, with the extra benefit of more backing capacity.

BUY THE TIOGA, but in the STANDARD SPOOL configuration, NOT the large arbor.

Listen to me now and believe me later.
  14. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +74 / 3
    One thing to watch out for with Medalists is to make sure they'll fit the reel seat on your rod. Many of today's high-end reel seats are designed to snugly fit machined reel foots & a medalist won't fit.

Medalists are great reels. The only downsides are the screws on the foot and they don't make a nice clicking sound. You can't beat the sound of a Hardy reel.