I want a new reel...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Roper, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +157 / 0
    find a used CFO
  2. Jslo Active Member

Ratings: +80 / 0
    Lamson Hard Alox Velocity 1.5

here it is on FleaBay! This is a reel you will have a long time. Auction ends in 15 min lol.

Disclaimer: (I have nothing to do with or no knowledge of this seller or reel...just a believe in Lamson's at a value price).
  3. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +789 / 1
    Go Lamson or go home. Other than that, I have no strong opinions on the matter.
    Jslo and Bob Triggs like this.
  4. Fishee Member

seattle
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Roper likes this.
  5. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +206 / 0
    No matter what you get, you'll forget it anyway. I do like my 3 wt. large arbor Battenkill. Just bring the coupons....

Spendy? From the "I bought a new shotgun" guy.....

It will be interesting to see what you settle on for the new reel.

MB
    Ed Call and Roper like this.
  6. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    Spend as little as possible !! Remember only Goobers over spend !!
    Roper likes this.
  7. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +343 / 1
    I bought a Maryat really cheap. It is awesome on my 4 wt. It doesn't have a disc drag but I've never needed one when using it even though I've caught some stout fish in the 20" range with it as well as one steelhead hooked by accident.
  8. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,102 / 0
    Are you calling my friend Roper a Goober?:D

Steve, in the years I spent steelhead fishing on the forks of the Lewis River, Washougal, Kalama, Wind River, Umpqua, Deschutes, Klickitat, Toutle, Prince of Wales Island and others I have probably forgotten, I never owned a disc drag reel. The biggest steelie I ever landed was 16# with numerous fish in the 8#-12# range. I always thought that the palming rim was the greatest reel improvement ever. Then I heard about disc drags but always kind of equated them with automatic transmissions.

I can state unequivocally that you don't need a disc drag to catch big fish and I doubt that the early gods of steelhead fishing like Haig-Brown ever used one. And they fished during the golden age of steelhead before we had to deal with hatchery brats. I'm not putting the knock on disc drags, I own several and like them. Just saying that the guys that came before us caught more and bigger fish without them because there were more and bigger fish to be caught and they were successful with the gear they had. "Run what you brung" is how we described it in drag racing.

Ive
    Kent Lufkin, Roper and nailbender like this.
  9. Brooks Werner Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    I only have about 6 months of use on it so far, but my Otto's Yampa reel has been great. About $100 for a CNC'd reel. Only drawback is they're made overseas, but for those of us that don't have a lot of $$ but love the sport, I think these guys are a great option. I've even had it in the salt. Mine is setup for a 5/6wt, but the smaller size would probably be perfect for what you're looking for.
  10. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    I will bet that you would get many years of great service out of the little Abel trout series, and not too pricey when you look at the quality.
  11. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +524 / 0
    Do you want to hear the News?

Orvis is a fine selection.....but how about the older ross cimarron? They are on ebay all the time. Get a C1 or 2 for 90.00-120.00. And Ross still services them and carry parts but doubt you would ever need to use 'em.
    Roper likes this.
  12. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +792 / 1
    So here's some interesting news (not from Huey). I decided to take a look at why my Colorado reel crapped out and was amazed at two things. First how dead simple the reel is in it's construction. Next, the reason it failed was the grease they put in it at the factory. It had become hardened and kept the pawl from engaging. So the reel would free spin and not "click". I took a gun cleaning brush doused in mineral spirits and cleaned it up. Then after applying some new grease it worked just fine. So after all the wonderful suggestions, I'm not gonna look for another reel now. Maybe later just for grins.

Thanks everyone for sharing your insights on a new reel, I'll keep it in mind for sure.
    Ed Call, Irafly and underachiever like this.
  13. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,102 / 0
    Is MacGyvered a verb? Good job Roper.
    Ed Call, Porter and Irafly like this.
  14. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +524 / 0
    (Huey) If this is it? Evidently not....You and colorado ride on together!!! Good news for you and a good reel!;)