If you saw this sign....would you turn around??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Vladimir Steblina, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +240 / 0
  2. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    Yeah I would...where is this? Many years ago had issues with signs at Quincy/Burke area.
  3. Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

Naches, WA
    Ratings: +37 / 0
    I would get out of the car, and go look at the sign to read the fine print, then stand around like an idiot for about ten minutes. I would maybe even get out the map and walk up and down the fence a little bit making sure to look as lost/dumb/confused as possible. Then I would respectfully puss out and go find somewhere else to fish.

Seems to be my routine so far when encountering things like that.
    Ron McNeal, Cole L and constructeur like this.
  4. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +692 / 0
    If I had been there before & was positive that it was a county road, I'd continue to my destination. I've experienced this recently, did just that, and was confronted by the landowner who placed the sign. He said he was calling the sheriff if I didn't leave immediately. I said "Please do, or, I can call. I'll wait for him to arrive." He left, I called the sheriff, and the sign was gone when I left later. I respect legitimate property rights; I have a low tolerance for asshats.
  5. Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Tacoma WA
    Ratings: +249 / 0
    It depends, if I had no further information, I would move on. If I could determine via maps or other signage that the road was a state, or county maintained I would ignore it.
    Bill Aubrey, Ed Call and dryflylarry like this.
  6. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +774 / 2
    This is a situation where USGS maps are your best friend.
    fredaevans likes this.
  7. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    Depends. If I had no idea where I was, I might turn around. But I think a lot of them time when I'm out driving around on dirt roads, I tend to have a pretty good idea about what kind of land I'm driving on (NFS, BLM, DNR, etc), so if I was in one of those places I might ignore it.

J
  8. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    During the 12 years I lived in Montana (1979-1991) it was not uncommon to see signs like this on fences next to cattle guards on county roads or forest service or BLM access roads outside the national forest or BLM lands. When you saw them in Montana it simply meant that you could not hunt or walk in the range field without written permission from the landowner. You were free to drive though the cattle guard and drive on the road, you just couldn't stop to hunt, hike, or fish.

If the road was a private ranch road, the sign would say so. Otherwise, you were free to drive on it.
    Bill Aubrey and Old Man like this.
  9. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +209 / 0
    I would turn around. There is some private property up Crab Creek that has a similar sign, he is armed and the sign pretty much says it all. Private property means just that, I don't want you here. Why would you think that passing this sign would be a good idea - unless you are very sure that it is bogus?

Private property is just that, private. Have respect for the property owner. I can kick your a-- of my property, why shouldn't they have the same option?

Mb
  10. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +412 / 0
    Vlad,

What makes you ask?

I recon if there was a house close, I'd ask permission; otherwise I'd turn around and honor the respect I'd hope to get if it was my sign.
  11. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    Like I posted, in Montana the road had to be marked as a private road, otherwise, you were free to drive on it. You just couldn't hunt, hike, or fish on the property.
  12. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +439 / 0
    Well, you could steal the sign. No more problem, :D
  13. Whitey Active Member

Far side of the moon
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    Drive really fast past the sign, like 50 mph.

If anybody asks, say "sign? what sign?"

If that doesn't work, tell em your brother Darryl said he talked to Jim bob and said it was cool.

If that doesn't work, have a real confused look on your face when questioned, say a bunch of weird shit that makes no sense.

Never, ever, say your from Seattle.
    dfl, Paul Huffman and flybill like this.
  14. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +783 / 0
    Unless I knew the road was actually public, I would flip a U-turn and move on.
  15. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +377 / 0
    I'd heed the sign and find somewhere else to go.
  16. nailbender Active Member

Ratings: +35 / 0
    A hand held gps will give you an answer very fast. Like Jim said I have found quite a few signs that are on public lands. Its always nice to double check with a map.
  17. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +83 / 0
    It would 100% depend on how long the road was before I came across this sign
    Bill Aubrey and Ron McNeal like this.
  18. Topstoy Member

Tonasket, WA
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    I run into this around here, the land on both sides of the road is private, yet the road is public and leads to a WDFW access. Does cut down a bit on the fishing pressure. You really need to ensure that the road is not private and if unsure verify or stay out.
    Ed Call likes this.
  19. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +569 / 0
    I would be tempted to drive on in. It looks public because of the grading of the road for one thing. Just drive in and ask. Or, tell them you're the potential new "mail carrier" in the area getting to know where things are. (Mailmen travel on private roads.) It doesn't look like a private driveway for one thing. The zoning where I live defines a "public road" as one which serves (well, I kind of forgot, but something like 2 or more homes). So, the mailman uses the road, the garbage men use the road, the UPS people use the road, the meter reader, etc.
  20. tkww Member

WA
    Ratings: +70 / 2
    The road looks impressively graded and well-maintained if it is in fact a private road. There is no attempt to block the road itself--no gate, no barrel put in the middle of it, etc. And the sign makes no mention of the road. There are plenty of private road signs available. None of these things are guarantees, but it smells like BS.
    fredaevans likes this.