If you saw this sign....would you turn around??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Vladimir Steblina, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Mark Moore Just a Member

Vancouver, Wa.
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    I would think this might be the most powerful disincentive in that many people with enough wealth to own these kinds of lands generally want to remain as anonymous as possible.
  2. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +341 / 0
    Usually. :D
  3. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,036 / 1
    Here's some background info on the No Trespassing sign in question. It's been private land for years owned by the same family. Access on this road has been there since before I discovered the lakes in 1980. No attempt has been made to restrict access thru the land that I know of. The No Trespassing signs showed up (this is as I remember it) after some cows got shot on this plot of land. What's restricted is off road travel in this plot.

I wrote of a Pitt Lake in an earlier post in this thread. Pitt was owned by the same ranch family that has the No Trespassing sign. Access to Pitt was allowed up to the point some yahoo(s) threw the land owners boat on a campfire and burned it up. It appears the land around Pitt was sold in recent years so I don't know about access.
  4. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +706 / 0
    And I don't blame the ranch family a bit, Bill. As I said earlier, "I have a low tolerance for asshats," and the clowns that desecrated the rancher's property qualify for that classification.
  5. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    I think the seep lake fishermen suffered because of the actions of the local gangs. I wouldn't think even worm or powerbait users or wet fly fishermen would stoop so low to burn a guys boat.
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  6. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +128 / 0
    I'm with tkww here. The ground on either side may be 'private' but that road has all the ear marks of something that's maintained by a Public Entity. That said, what's at the end of the road? A lake as an example?

If the lake in listed in the game regs (and/or stocked) you can be pretty damned sure its a public road.
  7. Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +157 / 0
    Learning a lot here, guys. Thanks.
  8. Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +157 / 0

THAT is an amazing link. Thanks a helluva lot for posting it.
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  9. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,792 / 0
    Skagit County provides a similar map called iMap which shows property lines and lists property owners. I have used it multiple times to verify WDFW or Dept. of Ecology land ownership and find access to certain areas within the county. http://www.skagitcounty.net/Maps/iMap/

I am curious of other counties or regional governments also provide such maps.
  10. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    I use Terrascan Mapsifter for Grant, Adams and Lincoln counties.
  11. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    Ratings: +619 / 0
    A fellow fly tier and fishing buddy of mine began this Cadastral project here in Montana in the late 1990s. So, I've kept an eye on his progress for years. It's very detailed and is kept pretty much up to date. I've used it to contact property owners to ask permission to fish and hunt.

I don't know what other States are doing.

Trapper
  12. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +800 / 1
    The very reason I have been a member of Public Lands/Water Access (PLWA) Association. Organizations like them are doing the heavy lifting benefiting all of us who enjoy OUR public lands.
  13. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +241 / 0
    Tell us more....and provide a link.
  14. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +800 / 1
    http://www.plwa.org/

$20/year annual dues. This group has been very successful defending public trust doctrine.
  15. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +354 / 3
    There is a small lake near Coffee Pot that has a road into the public access that is on private land. I was told by an old timer in the region where the road was and it was ok to use it. The road has a cattle guard as well as a gate that you must open and close to get to the access.
    Even though I was following instructions from a guy that had fished this lake for years, I was still nervous going in thinking I might be confronted by an angry landowner.
    There were never very many fishermen on the lake and I can see why.
    jesse