If you were me, where would you fish?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by AJEC, Jun 11, 2013.

1. AJEC

AJEC Member

Home Page:
    Dear members of this amazing forum I am out from London, England staying with family at Redmond until the 18th July (having retired) and would appreciate some fishing advice. This is the 6th year I have visited and fished here so I have a little knowledge but there are so many fishing options I feel I need some guidance to get hooked up.

I have with me 4wt, 6wt and 8wt rods, waders etc. I also have a Fishcat float tube. I have on previous trips fished the salt for cuts (not very successfully), Rattlesnake Lake, Langlois Lake and Pass Lake from the tube. Also the Tolt, Yak and Snoqualmie rivers.

Many of you have very kindly visited my fishing Blog at http://breakingrods.blogspot.co.uk and I am keen to be able to post some exciting fishing exploits during this trip.

Your thoughts would be most appreciated, thanks in anticipation.

2. Hmmm if your up for driving, try some of the seeps lakes.

3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

AJEC, If you were staying in Redmond, Oregon, I would have a lot of suggestions but such is not the case. I'm posting to compliment you on your blog... it's great!

4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    The seep lakes are close to the end of their spring season. I'd pick some west side lakes or some alpine lakes and running water.

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Alan,
    Pass lake is fishing well. I posted a report from last weekend.
    The Yakima would be an option. If you don't mind warmwater species, nearly every local lake has bass, sunfish, blue gills available. Once the weather settles in a bit they can offer good topwater action.
    Most of the local lakes are still fishing well for stocker trout. Dry fly action can be excellent in the evening. Margaret would be a good choice.
    When you come out next year, try and plan you trip for a bit later if possible in regards to salt fishing for salmon. Things really start to open up about the time you'll be leaving this year.
    SF

6. dcm

dcm Member

Media:
    For moving water trout fishing you might think about the Methow River near Winthrop and Twisp after about the 4th of July. I don't know much about the lakes in that area, but I do know there are some good ones in the vicinity. Might be too hot by that time of year though... something to keep in mind.

7. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

The salt is still a good option. There are several shops which sponsor on this site, contact one to see if you can get a guide to take you out to get dialed in so you'll be ready if the pinks are here before you leave. The Orvis shop is near you, (contact Leland Miyawaki), and I know that Puget Sound Fly Co in Tacoma has a guide service that can tailor a trip to you experience and abilities.

8. AJEC

AJEC Member

Home Page:
    Gene,
    I am glad you like the blog, I only started it at the beginning of the year and I am amazed that it has been viewed in around 50 countries. I try to make it friendly and interesting and positive comments like yours are very encouraging so thank you.

9. AJEC

AJEC Member

Home Page:
    Stone Fish thanks for the advice, I always enjoy your posts. I will try Pass Lake and plan to be staying for a couple of nights down on the Yak. I will look Margaret up as I have not heard of that before. Yes I would have liked to have come a bit later but family issues dictated the dates. The great thing about WA is you can always find somewhere to cast a line!

10. troutpounder

troutpounder Active Member

rocky ford

11. AJEC

AJEC Member

Home Page:
    Thanks dcm, I will bear your advice in mind. A couple of years ago I was lined up to drift the Methow but the guides transport broke down and he had to abort. Kind regards Alan C

12. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Hi AJEC,
    I bet you have never been fishing in the blast zone of a volcano. I suggest Coldwater Lake for a unique experience (and the fishing can be fun). A pontoon boat would give you more mobility that a float tube, but you can fish it with a float tube.

Steve

13. AJEC

AJEC Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Steve, I will check out the location and put it on the list. Kind regards

14. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Hi Alan,
    What part of London? I lived in Richmond and worked in the city on Berkeley St. a few years back.

Yell if you get up to Pass Lake and I'll try and join you, or at least let you know how it's fishing. Enjoy your stay!

Tim

15. AJEC

AJEC Member

Home Page:
    Hi Tim,
    I live just south of Croydon at a place called Selsdon. As a kid I use to try and catch rabbits in Richmond Park. I will talk to the boss in the morning and plan a trip to Pass Lake. I will let you know what we decide. Thanks Alan C