IMHO main outmgration of sea-run cutthroat has not occurred yet!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +35 / 0
    I fished a couple of South Sound inlets early last week, and I found some areas with quite a few chum fry and some with very little. The fishing was OK -- certainly not Trout-O-Rama -- but I didn't expect tons of fish. I landed a few of Roger's "cookie-cutter" fish, which I'm always happy to see. I also saw, but did not hook, a couple of big fish. In my experience, the best fishing over chum fry happens in April and May. I agree that it's a good idea to start out with small patterns and "match the hatch" in size as the season goes on. Everyone has spring fever right now -- yeah, me too -- and perhaps we all remember the great fishing from March of 2013. I'm hoping a slower early season means a better late season -- say, late May and early June. And, hey, don't forget those pink fry!
  2. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    I've been hitting the beaches pretty hard lately after not fishing for searuns for a number of years. The last six weeks have been excellent.
    Very few of the fish are showing signs of being post spawn (color and skinny). Many are looking very fat and healthly with lots of color. I'd imagine those fish have or will be heading up their home streams very shortly.
    The good news is there are a wide variety of sizes in the fish I've been seeing. My best day so far was eleven fish to hand ranging in size fron 7" to 16"
    I hope this variety bodes for the future.
    SF
    formerguide and Alexander like this.