impulse buy! now what do i do?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Jeff Cheng, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Hey everyone,
    No idea where to start when it comes to spey gear but I purchased a "brownie"? That's what I was told. it's a Sage Graphite 3 8150. I haven't purchased a reel for it or line yet. I do have a Sage 1680 (7-9wt) reel that I normally use on a 7wt but have a spare unused spool. does this work?

any suggestions on lines? I've heard a lot about skagit lines but not sure about the weight...

lastly, what size of fish should i be searching for with this thing?

Am i better off selling this and buying something else?

anything helps! thanks! :)

2. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

your reel will probably be to small to hold the size line you will need for your rod. something in the 4.25"-4.5" diameter range, rated for a 12wt line, should work better. scandi or skagit are both shooting head systems, and will shorten the learning curve over traditional lines. you have a great big water- big fish tool, but maybe not the right tool for grande ronde fish, or small water, but just like you can catch 10" fish on a 10' 8wt, you can use it if you want anywhere. get some books and videos, and most importantly, take a few lessons. enjoy.

3. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

If you haven't fished with a 2-hander before, go take a class and/or lessons. You will avoid the long learning curve and picking up bad habits. Moving from fly fishing to spey is hard because of the muscle memory of casting a single hander. (this I know)

As for that rod. I started on a "brownie". It was a good rod to learn on. It's slow enough to get your timing down on. I agree with hydro on line and reel.

Good luck. Just remember, it takes time. Just like when you learned to fly fish.

4. 10-12 weight reel and casting lessons

5. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

The 8150 is the one (and only) Sage rod I`d like to own . It`s a GREAT long belly dry line rod if you want to go that route . As mentioned by others , the 15 footer needs a big reel , and I`d want it to be heavy .

Enjoy the rod .
    PS ... if you find that you don`t like the rod , maybe we could work out a swap for something you might find more suitable .

shotgunner likes this.
  6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Jeff,

I haven't cast that rod since I've sorta' learned to Spey cast. Nearly everyone thinks well of that rod, and it should be a good rod for learning to Spey cast with. It's long and has a fairly slow action compared to most current rods. A 550 grain Skagit head will probably feel good on it. As Brian notes, it might be a great long belly rod, but that is likely the hardest way to learn to Spey cast. An 8 wt. short belly floater or even a Scandi will be easier to learn on.

Sg

7. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

delete post

8. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

The 8150 was arguably the best spey rod Sage produced up to that time. From Steelhead Anglers cir 2003:

Like said, it needs a big reel to balance out, hold a long belly line, and look right. I used a Redington AS 13/14 and a Scientific Anglers 7/8 XLT line on mine when I had it. The 8150 is an excellent dry line rod. To line it with anything less would sacrilege. Take some lessons from someone skilled in long belly technique. Enjoy the ride.

9. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

The 8150 Sage in any of it's configuration is a great rod. A Hardy Salmon #3 is just right on that rod. Any reel with similar specs will work just fine. Line it with a Delta Long 7/8 if you can find one. A MidSpey 7/8 will also be sweet, again if you can find one. A Delta 7/8 would be another great choice if a 65' line is not forth coming. A tapered mono leader 12' to 15' and you will have a sweet casting outfit. Stay off the gas.

10. Porter

Porter Active Member

I love the impulse buy....especially when you need to buy other parts to complete the package :eek:.....I have been guilty a time or two, and I when bought my first spey rod I tried to use my 8/9 weight reel for it....not a good fit. :(

I have a friend with same rod you bought...He has a Ross BG7 on it and it seems a good fit. I believe that reel is around 4.5 diameter. There are many options out there besides the good suggestions above.

See if any one is running a spey casting clinic or get together...you might be able to put a couple different reels and lines on that rod and get a better feel....of course you need to know what you are doing to. Maybe show up without the rod the first time and get some help on casting then bring your rod the next time out. Many fly shops have spey casting clinics/lessons..sometimes they are free. Check around and see.

11. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Porter, haha i know this might end up being more of a process as I save up but couldn't turn down the rod since it turned up in a random search.

Thanks everyone for the input! Looks like i'm looking for a line with a long belly and a 4.25ish reel. C

hatting with many of you, I think i'm going to end up going with the delta long. Still not sure about a reel but it's a work in progress. If anyone has one that you're looking to let go, PM me. (I will also post in classified)

I'm also going to try to either find Aaron(?) who does lessons on saturday's or other lessons to figure this out.

thanks for all the info! It's greatly appreciated!

love how all you guys know so much and are willing to share it