Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Is Pass any good in the winter?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Batt B 
#1 ·
I have only fished Pass Lake in the warm month's, but judging by the posts, it sounds like it could be good with streamers.

Any advise would be great....thanks:thumb:

#9 ·
I have fished Pass for many winters, some of my best days have been in the cold. Remember that bloodworms migrate from deep to shallow in the fall and winter. After a windy weekend, try a bloodworm pattern dead drifted on a floater. Be patient and watch where the line meets the water for the slightest movement. See you on the lake.

#12 ·
You take me way too seriously i think. I dont honestly think im the god of pass lake, its just fun to get people like you all wound up. I spend enough time fishing there to be considered a "local" and i know how to catch fish there, period. I am also very generous in fishing tips for the lake as well, because i like to see other guys go out there and catch fish too. So cut me some slack eh? Maybe if you are out this way again i'll take you out on a guided trip to pass in my boat, half price :p

#13 ·
Well that was fun............Anyway, back to the thread content. As most have said, streamers on a sinking line are a good place to start and blood worms can be very productive. Also, fish will usually be a little slower on the take. I have hit several quality fish during the winter and at first thought I had just hit a snag. Then all of a sudden it comes alive. I would also suggest you not get locked into any one method, fly, or depth for that matter. If things aren't producing try something different. Don't be afraid to try something that isn't even a "winter method". I have sometimes had fish chase and hit very fast strips in shallow water. You just have to experiment sometimes until you find what they are reacting to. My .02 worth.

#14 ·
try walking the shore by the hiway with polarized glasses! If the water is clear, you'll see BIG Browns in the shallows inches from shore. Watch your backcast for Semi trucks! I've lost more than one fly on a windshield wiper. Try and determine where the fish is headed, put your fly on the bottom ahead of the fish and let it "ambush" your offering, and hang on.

#15 ·
I fished it Sunday afternoon. Had the lake to ourselves. White streamers didn't produce, black woolly bugger at dusk got me a small brown and a medium rainbow. Oh and then a real rainbow came out which an eagle flew in front of, which was cool to see. Pretty windy, but mostly dry! Bonus!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.