It seems incredible

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Alex MacDonald, Jul 13, 2013.

1. that you can bait deer and elk here! What I'd like to know is, since I put out Deer Chow and mineral licks, if a bruin strolls by and I arrow him while he's pausing to check out the bait, I'm not baiting bear (illegal), but am baiting deer. Can I shoot the bear?

2. The bears don't know it's not for them. If you shoot a bear over bait, it would be hard to tell a judge you weren't baiting bears.

3. Maybe I should put out a sign "No bears allowed". But that would be considered bigoted, wouldn't it?:D

4. I didn't think it was legal to bait deer or elk either.

5. That's what I assumed too, but a call to Fish&Game set the record straight on it! Our feed store's getting in another shipment of Purina Mule Deer Chow day-after-tomorrow!

6. Hard to understand the logic of "Yes, go ahead and bait the deer and elk but not the bears".

7. That's because there isn't any "Logic" to understand.

LB

Upton O likes this.
  8. If fish & game says its OK I would want paper trail - get an e-mail from them.

9. Ill say that would be a really sweet bycatch! Its legal on private land. You can't bait them(deer and elk) on public ground if I remember correctly.

10. It's legal anywhere. Here's why. Bear is specifically mentioned, but there's nothing covering cervids at all. It's not mentioned. Hence, no prohibition. Like I said, I already checked with fish&game; if you're unsure, give them a call, talk to somebody in enforcement.

11. Alex, what about decoys?? I can see a spread of flocked bear cubs... a pit blind.... and some bear calling. Pretty soon a new organization of Bears Unlimited!! Be the first BU member.

Seriously I think deer baiting would have better results during the archery season. I suspect you think the same.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  13. I guess if it's legal, it must be up to individual ethics. Hmm. A fairly libertarian view.
    How's baiting game, or hunting over bait, feel to you, ethically?

14. excellent question, Guy! I'm a member of Professional Bowhunters Society, and we do have ongoing discussions on the issue. There's essentially two species of deer in the country; whitetails and mule deer. It's long been accepted that whitetails cannot be spotted and stalked except under very narrow conditions, so tree stands and ground blinds aren't considered unethical. Mule deer are a different story, and stands aren't commonly used. However, this is hunting, and there's a secondary consideration that comes up around this issue: providing quality habitat. We see diseases like chronic wasting disease and such as being related to quality habitat, and will work hard to create and enhance it. Depending on what part of the country you're hunting, and species, the same ethics question will pop up over, say, building guzzlers for bighorn sheep, water holes and fencing gaps for pronghorns, or feed plots for whitetails. Few of us have an ethics issue around hunting these locations, since we're not just using this exclusively as bait, like bear hunters will do (in other states). Yesterday, I hauled up two blocks of mineral and salt for the deer in our area. I may not hunt there at all, but the licks are there for everybody. So no, I don't have an ethics issue around it, and when I place stuff like this, I also put them in locations that would be difficult to put a stand in as well. Not that I'm consciously thinking about the location, but rather I'm thinking what location would best work for the deer.

15. I backpacked salt and mineral blocks in on the high hunt for years and never shot a deer off of them. What should say lots about my intelligence is one year I added 16 lbs of salt and mineral blocks to my high hunt backpack. The lowest weight I had for my backpack was 62 lbs and the heaviest was 85 lbs. This was before adding salt blocks.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  16. In my experience using attractants for blacktails in front of trail cameras, it won't bring them in like some people might expect. If they're in the area, they'll stop and check it out. It will not bring them in from miles around or on a regular schedule. Their interest in the stuff steadily declines as fall approaches too. The number of pictures we get in September and October is a small fraction of what we get in spring and early summer.
    Buck Jam seems to work better than the mineral licks we've tried.
    I put a little Buck Jam in front of the camera in my back yard and got video of a buck last week. He was there because it's on his travel route, not because I put the stuff out. What the Buck Jam did though, was make him stop for a few seconds in front of the camera.

17. I'd like to hear from some of our brethren who hunt whitetails. Those little Columbia Blacktails, they're strange deer, more like black labs than deer it seems! I have no idea why this stuff wouldn't work with mulies though. It makes sense to work on a good food plot for deer, if for no other reason than to give them better nutrition. As a bowhunter, the GMU I hunt allows me to take either sex, with a 3-pt lower limit on the males, and I could care less about antlers, since my goal is to put some venison in the freezer. Better-fed deer, which are better able to survive a bad winter, just makes sense all around.

18. This hit the nail on the head.

19. This would be as exciting as shooting one of my grandpa's cows as it put its head in the grain bucket so we could butcher it.. not much sport involved, But we got our meat. This is the very shit that gives so called hunters a lot of bad press

Greg Armstrong likes this.
  20. I made sure to specify that my experience was with blacktails because mulies or WTs are probably very different. Blacktails can eat almost anything and have food all around them.

You would be surprised at some of the bucks roaming this side of the hill.