It's That Time Of Year!!! SRCs on the Cowlitz!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Breck, Aug 13, 2014.

1. I love this time of year. One of my all-time favorite WA fisheries has come back around. There's something special about swinging for sea-cutts on the Cowbag. When the action is on, it's ON! I tie up my own spin on the Kinney Reverse Spider. Drives those ocean-going cutties wild. Can't wait for Saturday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. A nice, easy limit for 3 anglers. They don't call them "Harvest Trout" for nothing. These feisty trout cook up and smoke up very nicely. Delicious!

[​IMG]

3. Looks more like Mike Kinney's reverse spider than a Knudsen spider.

4. I would of thrown all the little ones back. Let them get a little bigger.

jasonj likes this.
  5. They don't get much bigger than that down here any more. I've heard some old-timers talk about the runs 60 years ago have much bigger SRC's, and I know people get them from time to time, but those hatchery fish are pretty cooker-cutter-esque.

6. Are these actually SRC this early in the year? I'm not familar with that river. Assuming they are, it still amazes me that people feel right about killing a limit of them (for each of 3 people no-less) when they are catch and release status in the salt. I know it's legal (although I'm not sure why), but I would feel pretty shitty doing it.

Gee, I wonder what happened to those hystorically good runs from 60 years ago?

Sawyer likes this.
  7. I bet they taste better than normal hatchery trout!

Blake Harmon, David Dalan and Flyborg like this.
  8. These are from the Cowlitz Trout Hatchery. Now the impact of hatchery SRC's is another debate, but they are there to be caught and eaten.

Breck and mtskibum16 like this.
  9. Yes, they're SRC's. They're hatchery fish, and it's a different situation than the catch-n-release going on in the Sound fisheries.

10. Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense.

11. I'm thinking this fly with chartreuse up front rather than yellow would make a killer chum fly!

12. Potayto potahto. :)

13. I would never even think of killing a wild trout. I DO like to eat hatchery fish, however. These hatchery SRCs return to the Cowlitz in the hundreds of thousands. Notice that there's not an adipose fin to be seen in the bunch.

14. Giving proper credit to the creator of that fly has nothing to do with spelling.

15. I think a lot of people are unaware that the Cowlitz has such a successful SRC program

16. Will it make you feel better if I change it? Before now, I had never heard of a "Kinney Reverse Spider". Upon Google imaging the two patterns, my fly has aspects of both and neither. Perhaps I should give myself credit for creating my own Reverse Spider pattern?

Peyton00 and Danielocean like this.
  17. If you compare them with the fly rod for scale, the smallest was about 13"-14". That's "pan size" in my book. I generally will release any fish under 14" or so.

18. Yeah, thats the worst part about taking the kids fishing for stockers...white "see-thu" meat. I bet these stocker SCR are nice and pink/orange.

Breck likes this.
  19. The meat is beautifully colored and very tasty. Lots of fat, too. One of my favorite fish to put in the smoker. I also like to fillet them and then remove the skin from the fillets. Dredge in seasoned flour, then a dip in a wash of evaporated milk and eggs, then a coating of bread crumbs. They then go into a glass baking dish with a stick of melted butter and into the oven to fry in said butter for about 20 min.

David Dalan likes this.
  20. Now that sounds good! I've never removed skin from fillets (salmon), is it difficult?