Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Just got back from Duvall

42K views 538 replies 42 participants last post by  Olive bugger 
#1 ·
Snoqualmie is running high and dirty as sin. NO surprise there.

May be fishable by week end, but I donno.

#197 ·
Good morning DUVALL travlers. All of the wonderment of this fine city, or rather township, got me to thinking.

I am wondering what the OFFICIAL DUVALL fishing leader knot might be?
Does DUVALL even have an official fishing leader knot?

Aside from the maditory PERFECTION KNOT at the butt end of the leader, what would one use in between the terminus at the fly end and the origin at the butt section.

In light of the stratus of the social system in DUVALL, I am guessing that the SURGEON'S KNOT, tied in either the double or triple configuration, would be the preferred choice. However, I would not rule out the DOUBLE UNI KNOT, nor the old standby, the BLOOD KNOT.

Perhaps those that actually reside in beautiful DUVALL, either in town or in the outlying area of town, might jump in with a educated view on the subject.

As a frequent visitor to DUVALL, I have to admit that until recently I had been a big fan of the PERFECTION/BLOOD KNOT, circle. However, after recent developments, I have become the disciple of the SURGEON'S KNOT. That said, I am not a surgeon, although as a young boy, I did play doctor with several young ladies...
A surgeon's knot was never involved in the play action, however.

#203 ·
How is the weather over there? If I can ever get this hand and wrist to work correctly, maybe I can get out and wet a line. My wife announced to me this morning that "they" are expecting a big run of steelhead this year. I have no idea of who "they" might be, but I hope that they are correct. Unfortunately, they forgot to mention what rivers, what time and what flies would work best.

Perhaps a trip to Jensen's for some smoked steelhead would be more productive than a Sweet Old Buzzard like me, flaying the water with a tired and worn out 8 wt line.

#208 ·
Thank you guys for bringing this Utopia that is Duvall to my attention. I was thinking of wasting my time steelheading this weekend for lack of anything to do. But now, I think I will head to beautiful Duvall instead and spend my time shopping in the little boutiques and sampling the fine dining. Can anyone recommend a B&B, preferably one with a spa and salon?

#210 ·
Tim's Place is the most opulent B&B around. But he may be at the Model Railroad Exhibit today. Perhaps you should contact his wife to see about a room. She does all the important stuff anyway. Tim is important only for the heavy lifting and dressing flies.

Another thought for the City Council. Perhaps they could convince the WDFW to build a steelhead hatchery on the Snoqualmie, just above town so that the residents would not have to drive all the way to Monroe to fish for them. Might be another TOURIST ATTRACTION for the town.

#211 ·
A few chapters back in this thread, I was commenting on how much I miss the old days in "Doo-vawll" when the Big Rock was still "in" the middle of the road, the Silver Spoon was still in the old Grange Hall on Main St., and the old growth stumps had whiskey stills carved out of them.
But does anyone know if there are still those little "A" frame rooster huts, each with it's own cock rooster chained to it- just out of reach of the neighboring rooster? Used to come across those on occasion off some of the old dirt roads in outlying Doo-vawll. I figured they must be steeped in local tradition and must have been a cottage industry practicing their craft in developing fine hackles for tying flies.
Just reminiscing the quaintness of it all, are there any of those left - or has Doovawll gone totally cosmopolitan and upscale on us in the decades since I lived "out there"??

#215 ·
A few chapters back in this thread, I was commenting on how much I miss the old days in "Doo-vawll" when the Big Rock was still "in" the middle of the road, the Silver Spoon was still in the old Grange Hall on Main St., and the old growth stumps had whiskey stills carved out of them.
But does anyone know if there are still those little "A" frame rooster huts, each with it's own cock rooster chained to it- just out of reach of the neighboring rooster? Used to come across those on occasion off some of the old dirt roads in outlying Doo-vawll. I figured they must be steeped in local tradition and must have been a cottage industry practicing their craft in developing fine hackles for tying flies.
Just reminiscing the quaintness of it all, are there any of those left - or has Doovawll gone totally cosmopolitan and upscale on us in the decades since I lived "out there"??
That "industry" was "off-shored" to Bremerton.

#212 ·
I wouldn't exactly call it cosmopolitan but Its pretty much suburbia surrounding Duvall until you get a few miles out. I haven't seen the A frame rooster huts since they really cracked down on cock fighting. Used to be a lot of them up near Marysville.

TC

#214 ·
I wouldn't exactly call it cosmopolitan but Its pretty much suburbia surrounding Duvall until you get a few miles out. I haven't seen the A frame rooster huts since they really cracked down on cock fighting. Used to be a lot of them up near Marysville.

TC
DOO-vall needs to establish a cock-fighting league. Lots of folks within the city limits keep chickens, so really--what's the difference? We could do it for charity.

#213 ·
I feel so cheated. I wanted to drive over to the auto parts store and get a new battery for my pickmeup truck. Well, being pro active, I thought I would call and make certain that they had one in stock for my truck. After all, it is an 82 model. Well, the fellow on the line didn't think they had one in stock and while we were discussing my options, his computer went south. Blew up. Zip, gone.

Sooo, I didn't get to visit the city today. Bummer!
Maybe tomorrow. :(

#222 ·
I am wondering what the OFFICIAL DUVALL fishing leader knot might be?
Does DUVALL even have an official fishing leader knot?
A couple half hitches is my guess.

Tow a car? Half hitch.
Drag a rock? Half hitch.
Leash for dog? Half hitch.
Woman to the hitching post? Half hitch.
Tippet to fly? 2 half hitches.

#230 ·
You can also stroll along main street, and watch the DUVALLIANS, cosmopolitan that they are!

I will need to visit there today, to purchase some things at the auto parts store, and i would visit the fly shop, if there was one.

The absence of a good fly shop in DUVALL is, in my humble opinion, a gross social problem. It besmuches the gracious character of the fair city/township. As it is, I shall be forced to sojourn to Mill Creek.
That is going to take time away from DUVALL though.

#236 ·
I did notice a vacant store front on Main Street the other day. Perhaps you should move your office/garage to there, and display a vivid assortment of BWOs in a selection of colors. Purple and Neon Green might be big sellers. Especially in size mentioned.

#239 ·
IIRC they took down the lizard on the sign, and added an electric guitar. Presume that they are the same people that had the lizard.

Maybe GIECO got miffed about something and made them change it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.