just one fly... or two....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Sean Beauchamp, Jul 26, 2002.

1. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    If any one out there really does come up on a cougar. It happened to me about 5-6 years ago in the Quinnalt Rain forest, while I was by myself sitting at a campfire. I should have been more careful since I had found 3 deer carcases in the area with cougar tracks around them. With it being September and the middle of the week, I was the only one at the camp ground at the time. He was sneaking up behind me and stepped on a leaf making a very very slight sound, that I almost did not turn around for at the time since I almost thought it was the fire. When I turned around expecting a small squirel or something he was less then 50FT behind me and all I could think to do, was say: hello kitty. I was not looking for trouble at the time from him or anything else and his being there really had not quite taken on reality. But since I had turned to face him that was all it took to scare him away. So if anyone does come up on a cougar remember they like most members of the cat family will only attack from behind. Its to dangerous for the cat to attack most large prey from the front side. It should be noted that this camping area has had since then had one dog attacked and one other human who was stalked that I have heard of since then. The camp ground is the 2nd one up the South side of the lake that you used to be able to drive up to. The road last time I was in the area was closed. They say, do to the road being washed out, but at the time I did wonder if there had been more trouble with this cat that was in the area. :EEK If you do come upon a cougar do not turn your back on it, that should help keep you safe.
  2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,659 / 0
    I might be old---but I'm good.

I like the Elk Hair Caddis or a Royal Wulff. As the flys that I like to use as I like to fish smaller streams and creeks. And as for Cougars, I heard one up on Pilchuck creek this summer,but I didn't stick around to look for it.

Jim S. :BIGSMILE
  3. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Elk hair caddis is a must have in your fly box in a variety of styles, colors, and sizes.

I am also a fan of the royal wulff (my go to fly) for those wild, less educated trout in the forks of the snoqualmie.

Parachute adams is also something I never go without.

Yesterday I did quite will on the NF with a small royal coachman. I got just as many hits on the top as I did under the surface with it.

But if I had only 1 fly to fish in any given situation, it would have to be a number 8 (maybe 10...) BH black woolly bugger with some flash.

I've caught perch, bass, crappie, bows, cutts, browns, brookies, dollies, salmon, steelhead, and more on black woolly buggers. Rivers, lakes, small streams, beaver ponds, salt water - dead drifted, stipped, or swung with the current (especially just danglin below you in the current for several seconds) - they are very versitle.

But that's what makes fishing so fun - everyone has their favorite way to do, and their is no 'right' answer... (although sometimes there is a hatch or presentation that you just have to match - but fortuanetly this is not usually the case on most of our waters).
  4. Dan Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Great story and great advice.

I had a neighbor who was attacked by a cougar here in Colorado two years ago. He was digging for crystals in the hills near town by himself. Usually went with a buddy, but on this day only took his golden retriever. Lion started stalking them while he was digging. He got out of his pit and began to walk out up hill, facing the lion. Lion followed. When he got to the top of the hill, he lost sight of the lion. As soon as he turned his back, the lion attacked from behind a group of screening evergreens. Golden leapt at the lion as the lion leapt at my neighbor. Golden was on a leash and pulled his owner down when he leapt at the lion. All ended up in a pile. Lion ran off. Neither man nor beast were injured. Neighbor talked to DOW after incident. They said that he was the first person they knew of in Colorado that survived a lion attack. They advised that he carry a knife rather than a handgun. They thought that he wouldn't have enough time to draw and fire if attacked. I thought that was good advise. Just my 2 cents.
  5. Trout_Zealot New Member

Spanaway, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Fishfella-
    whether you were serious with this post or just joking, your strategy would limit you soley to lake fishing, whereas a grhe, woolly buggers, and nymphs can be fished in lakes and rivers/streams. So, if you were in an area with little or no lakes you would be out of luck. oh, another thing, you might wanna pack a float tube if you plan on using this strategy
  6. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    I was thinking about a issuing a new challenge - who has caught the most different species on a black woolly
    bugger? Looks like you have me beat, although I've caught a bonefish on a brown one.
  7. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +467 / 1
    just remember, throw 'em back

LM bass, SM bass, bluegill, perch, RB trout, CT trout, crappie, my left thumb (does that count!?). thats 7, 8 if you count the thumb (that hurt!)