K-Pump :: 100 & 200 Sizes

Discussion in 'WFF Gear Program' started by Chris Scoones, May 6, 2005.

1. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +282 / 0
    [IMG]

K-Pump :: 100 & 200 sized pumps

Jim tossed us 4 200's that'll be staying with the Water Master's when they go out on demo. There is also a 100 and 200 for you others that might want to try it out for a while with your pontoon's.
  2. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +282 / 0
    Ok, after wasting a lot of my time with pumps over the years with my pontoon's and Water Masters, I guess I had some interest in trying these out.

Have you ever noticed that it takes a bit of effort to pump one of those double chamber jobbies without even pumping anything up? The first thing that struck me with Jim's "K-Pump" is that they flow without resistance. You know, like it's supposed to be. Extend the plunger, let it go and gravity pushes it down. Yep, I like it, and here are a few notable items:

• Like mentioned, no resistance pushing air unless of course you’re topping off a full tube. You can stroke this thing as fast as... I'm not going there. Anyway, it's very efficient.
    • The foot pumps, which are better then a double chamber, aren't able to fill your boat past 2 1/2 to 3 psi. The K-Pump was able to get to 4-5 without much effort. Some boats are made to run with a little more pressure, and perform better when they are, so it's notable.
    • It's design is simple with really only one failure point which is an o-ring. Who knows how long an o-ring will last but they come with a spare stored inside the pump where you won't loose it.
    • No hoses. The tapered valve stem pushes right into the opening of your valve.
    • Comes with a stow bag and a couple ball bungies that allow for the larger pumps to be attached easily to any available d-rings or a frame. Otherwise, the 100 sized pumps are small enough to stow in your standard size pontoon side bags.
    • The 200 sized pump stays up with double chamber in air volume pushed, but strokes are quicker and effortless with the K-Pump. Total time to fill my Water Master was about 1/2 that with using a double chamber.

I won't be leaving behind my little hi-speed inflator if I'm able to access a car battery, but otherwise it's the better option if you don't have an electric and for topping off your boat.
  3. jabseattle jabs

Desert Dweller
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Chris,

I thought that the KPump was dope when I saw it at the Dry Falls Outing. I should have tried it on my Buck's Bag to see the difference. Maybe I can take a WM out in the future and check it out again.
  4. silver south paw

Mill Creek, Wa
    chris

just wondering, what high speed car adaptable inflator do you use?

[Chris] LVM Pumps Hi Speed Inflator. They are bit spendy at over $100 but haul ass. Unfortunately they won't inflate more then 2.5 psi, which requires most boats to be topped off with a hand pump. They do, though, move air quick and are very small / easy to stow. I'll usually carry both to the water and leave the LVM in the truck when I'm underway. [Chris]
  5. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +564 / 5
    Those finally have went into production I see. My friend's good buddy originally designed those. I saw the prototypes for those a couple years ago. They do work really good (and I saw LITERALLY one of the rough original designs of it). Very cool to see it's final production look (was literally pieces of PVC glued together with different plastic tubing for the filler nozzle back then).

Chris is spot on with the LVM. My original 12 volt was a Metro inflater/deflater. Was awesome for back then (still quite functional). But those newer LVM's are awesome. Both hook up directly to your car battery. BUT, make sure you keep your car running while using it. It'll zap your battery FAST.

For home fillup before going. The BEST pump to get is one called the "Big Blower". It'll literally pump up about any boat in seconds. I mean TIGHT. Most of the pumps above you'll have to open the valves, or will only partially inflate. Which means you have to top off with a pump like above. But with the big blower it'll fill up a 10' cataraft in about 25 seconds. And TIGHT. You won't have to do any topping off. But it's VERY pricey. The big blower is around $200, the LVM is about $100. But WELL worth it IMHO.
  6. silver south paw

Mill Creek, Wa
    thanks guys appreciated
  7. sportsman Active Member

Kirkland, wa., 98034.
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    "No hoses. The tapered valve stem pushes right into the opening of your valve." Chris, just wondering how these work with the H.R. valves that are used on the Watermasters, super fat cats or the ATC[like I have]? Can you tell us what stores carry these? Thanks, Fred.

[Chris] On the H.R. valves it doesn't lock in but by keeping a little pressure pushing towards the valve it keeps a seal. I usually leave the valve open while filling 90% of the boat then close it and continue filling. I wasn't able to do this with the foot pump (it couldn't push through the closed valve) which sucked as you would loose a a good bit of pressure from blow off when removing the hose and trying to quickly close the valve.

The policy of this gear program is to share no affiliation with retail locations / shops for any of the gear. There is a link to K-Pumps website at the top of this thread which you can visit to acquire retail locations or order directly from the manufacturer.[Chris]
  8. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    I may be able to help on this one. Usually on the halkey valves (since these valves are on QUITE a few boats out there), you have to open them up first (push down and turn) then put the nozzle up to the opening. Then when it hits maximum yield, you do a quick move of the pump and turn your valve shut. It's similar to most whitewater valve pumps. Most don't have the actual "attachment" on the end. Most just push over the small lip inside the valves (if you look you'll see them).

Oops, I should say I'm mostly talking about the inflators above (except high draw inflators), not the K pump. With the above, you can keep your valves closed. But the small hose coming off the end forms a seal around your valve opening. So with the "pump" it'll force the air through the closed valve just fine. They fit about any valve out there actually.
  9. Johnnyb Guest

I've had the short version of the K-pump for about three months. I have enough trouble keeping track of all my other crap, much less an electric pump PLUS another to "top off" my Southfork pontoons. The K-pump handles my pumping needs completely, and is a no-hassle, no-worry solution for my pre-alzheimers tendencies. I got one pump, I get my heart rate up just a little, and I got no worries...I swear by it.
  10. jimk Jimk

Lake Oswego, OR
    Jerry: Just a quick bit of info. If you are using any K-Pump on a "HR" valve you do not need to depress the stem in the valve and rotate it so it stays open during inflation. The K-Pump will over-ride the valve and force air into the tube without having to "fiddle" with the valve.
  11. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Nope, never used one like that Jim. I was talking about most "electric" inflators with low pressure. Those are the ones you have to open the valves to let the air in since they don't have enough pressure to open it. Yeah, most pumps I've used in the last 25 years on inflatables override the valves. But my manual pumps have always been Bravo quality footpumps. But when I used the kpump, I didn't have to open the valve to use it. Didn't figure I'd have to (or it would defeat the purpose of it being a "top off pump").

Jim, if you go reread my post above, you'll see I had put "I am meaning this for use on electric pumps". :)
  12. jimk Jimk

Lake Oswego, OR
    Jerry, you're right on! Thanks, Jim
  13. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Not a problem Jim. Just thought I'd clear that up. Love the K pump. Going to be getting a couple from Bill here shortly.
  14. sportsman Active Member

Kirkland, wa., 98034.
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    K-PUMPS... The Real Deal!

Told my main fishing partner about these and he bought a 100 from the Manufacturer[can't remember his name]. I've got an Abel Travelcraft that came with a Bravo 1 pump; he has a Kodiak and they come with Bravo 2 pumps. The 100 outperforms the Bravo 1, but not [in our opinion] the Bravo 2. That said, the K-pumps are EFFORTLESS in filling up a raft and the 100 size fits perfectly in our Gemma 40 ltr. dry bags. If you have had ANY type of back pain you know that foot pumps can/will aggravate this condition. If you ever get a leak on your boat on a river, the K-pumps are a breeze to use while your floating; just from the 'safety' point they are worth every penny! We see a lot of the "newest and greatest" in the industry and it's always a surprise to see a product that really delivers! Anybody want to buy a couple Bravo pumps cheap????!!!!
  15. luv2fly2 Active Member

.othello
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    why does everything that is so dang good have to cost so dang much. maybe i will just use my old muscles as i am cheap. mike w
  16. halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Vancouver, WA, USA.
    For your planning pleasure the Metro Magic Air electric inflator works with the Halckey-Roberts valves closed with no problems. I have used it successfully on Scadden, Outcast, Bucks Bags, and Water Skeeter boats.

Regards,
  17. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Just used the K-Pumps on the Watermasters and man are they sweet! Simple to use and very effecient too, I can think of nothing else that even comes close.
    The feeling of security and reliability on a float trip is a given when carrying one of these terrific pumps along, because you know you can inflate or top off with ease.
    I would recommend them to anyone without hesitation.

LB
  18. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I used the K-pumps to top-off the Watermaster and I gotta echo Papafish, I haven't seen the likes of them elsewhere. They will be on my shopping list, no pump out there that I know of is even close to how quickly they pump the volume they handle. I used it on my double air mattress and it was faster than the coleman battery operated electric pump, by far. Seldom do you see a new product that is so obviously head and shoulders above the rest.
  19. Mayfly Aviator Member

Idaho Falls, ID
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Hey Chris - I don't know how this works, but are these demos going to be sold anytime soon?
  20. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    Found this thread on a search on info for K-Pumps. FYI, There may have been a product revision. The LVM pump I just got with my WM is a LVM110, and has the NRS logo on it. The NRS site states..."Never operate LVM with vehicle motor running - can overheat pump due to a higher volt output."