Kalama report?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Chris Brittin Johnson, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Chris Brittin Johnson

Chris Brittin Johnson Fly Flinging Fanatic

Finally got a free weekend. Looking for s steely. Cowlitz is high so I'm thinking about driving south to the kalama. Anybody doing any good?

2. Jim Riggins

Jim Riggins Member

The river's pretty low down here, might be something up in the canyon that's where I would start. Keep an eye out for Bigfoot, he's on the move again I hear. Atleast that's what the hippy's standing in the blue haze tell me. JR

3. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

The Kalama hatchery has only got about 30 summer fish so far...it's been a very slow start, and there are fish, but there are also quite a few anglers. As it stands right now, the run is only at about 5% of previous year averages. You can keep an eye on the numbers at the WDFW website.

In the last few years (I don't know when it started) the hatchery has been phasing out production of Skamania stock and replacing them with the Kalama native (winter stock) fish. I fish with one of the hatchery workers on occasion and he told me last year they just kill the skamania fish and recycle the rest. Lets just say I'm not real confident in his identification skills though :)

4. Chris Brittin Johnson

Chris Brittin Johnson Fly Flinging Fanatic

Thanks for the info! Pretty new to fishing the kalama. Where does the fly only start. Summers creek. Where's that? Been up the road maybe 4 times. Never could indentify summers creek.