Keeping Brookies?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by 10incher, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Here in NE Oregon there is no limit on the # of brook trout you can keep except for a few exceptions. They tend to overpopulate. They also seem to out compete the native redbands in the lakes where both species are present, taking the best parts of the habitat and being fatter. If anyone wants to fill the smoker, come on down!

2. It feeds the Wolves and Cougars

scottr likes this.

3. This is interesting. There really isn't a difference. At least when they get thrown on the bank the biomass stays within the watershed.

10incher likes this.

4. Don't get us started on wolves ;)

5. +1
    I totally agree. I was just pointing out the rules. Plus... I'm just a little too selfish to trade a trout in the pan for it's usefulness as "biomass".

6. Folks toss spawned-out salmon carcasses on the bank to enrich the riparian ecosystem . . .

K

7. Yes, but I don't like the way those taste!

8. You just need to put them in the smoker

10incher likes this.
  9. Good idea. On the other hand, you could put toads in a smoker and I'd probably like them.

10. Actually Bullfrogs are very good smoked and you can catch them on fly gear

Gary Knowels likes this.
  11. Interesting discussion.

Should it be expanded to those pretty west-slope cutthroat that are exotics in many Washington streams and lakes or rainbows and browns on those blue ribbon Montana rivers?

Curt

Richard Olmstead and Kent Lufkin like this.
  12. I am not so sure about this. Several years ago, I had an e-mail exchange with the regional fish biologist asking if the 10" size limit also applied to Brook Trout in the SF. He assured me that the 10" limit applied to all trout (and char) in the SF. I thought that was kinda weird, but I had my answer.

Now, the regs may have changed since then, but that is what I was told ... Might be worth another e-mail ...

13. shame on me but I caught a Brookie out of the SF sno two weekends ago that was easily 12inches probably closer to 14, and let it go... I have a picture of it on my camera that I will try posting when I get home

10incher likes this.
  14. In the seven years I've been here it seems like the WDFW "refines" definitions and wording in the regs to clarify the same rules each year. But I can assure you that as it reads this year EBT (eastern brook trout) are NOT part of the "trout" definition and therefor NOT subject to the minimum size for "trout". They would fall under "Other Game Fish" which is "Statewide min size/daily limit". And for EBT (eastern brook trout) that is five of any size. To be clear the trout limit would be five with no more than two being CT or RB of ten inches or more.

15. wdfw game wardens on streams with brookies....

hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahah
    hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahah

you're more likely to win the powerball lottery.

16. If I caught a 13" brookie I would have a hard time bonking it and depriving other fishermen of the pleasure. Very forgivable IMHO.

17. I was talking about the guy your going to try debating with when you show up to arbitrate your citation. Not the guy that's going to give you the citation.

18. Re reading the rules I think Jack may be on to something. Even though EBT are subtext, they ARE listed under TROUT. So I think the 10" minimum for the Snoqualmie may well apply. One contention I have is that dollies are also subtext under TROUT. And I'm pretty sure keeping a dolly under 20" could get you a citation even in waters where they aren't singled out from TROUT. Just sayin' Maybe we do need some clarity on this.

Bonefish Jack likes this.
  19. No, it was right the first time. Maybe native redband, but there weren't native cutthroat here. Many of the streams have falls near the mouth,not allowing redbands to ascend from the Columbia. Until brookies were introduced, those kind of streams here didn't have fish. If I had to choose between a barren stream and brookies, I'll take the brookies. If the brookies are in a lake or stream that allows them to compete with native fish, by all means, remove them. Btw, I'm only referring to the streams in my immediate vicinity. I know cutthroat were native to much of our state.

20. That's probably not a good example to use here as that is what you're required to do. All lake trout caught in Yellowstone Lake must be killed. Same for rainbows and brookies in some Yellowstone NP river drainages.