Korea fly fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by james.jimenez, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Mabism

Mabism New Member

That is an awesome story, seems like fishing here is an actual adventure. I have been looking at some of the trout festivals they have here. Some are in Seoul. Let me know if you are down for some of them and we can work something out.

2. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

James, the Fish Gods owe you a big one.....

3. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

This is the best thread I've read in a while. Keep after them, man!

4. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

I second Jason's comments. That is great commitment, James.
    Steve

5. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

freestoneangler and Ron McNeal like this.
  6. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Hi James,
    All three videos made it. It may not have been the most scenic fishing, it was fishing. Thank you for sharing and I hope that all is going well for you.
    Steve

7. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Good for you getting out and finding a fishery to be had... thanks for sharing. Perhaps I missed it, but what type fish are they? Did the locals find you using a fly rod to be totally esoteric or are they familiar with the sport?

8. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

All the fish I caught we're all stocked rainbows. A lot of the locals were using fly fishing gear but not all of them where using flies. I mean most where using what might have been considered a trout bead but it was more like a marshmallow placed on a hook with a sinker. My fishing gear wasn't what got the weird looks, it was the flies that I tied. I think it was because I wasn't using the marshmallow things to catch my fish. I have read and talked to a few people who have said the sport is pretty big here but mainly in the north east portion if South Korea. Because I do not have a car, the Army says I am not responsible enough, I have to rely on the public transit system to get around. So it is gonna take me some time to find better trout water..

9. Dave Alberts

Dave Alberts Member

Great report James!
    As for getting around, have you checked the various base clubs for a fishing club?? Surely you arn't the only guy who wants to test the local waters... maybe find somebody with wheels ...

Keeps the reports coming and best wishes for a safe and productive 2014!

Dave