FS L. Kenney 8'6" 6wt. built by George Minculete

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by sagebass, Aug 16, 2013.

1. sagebass Member

Peoria, IL
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    Very reluctantly, I am offering for sale my smallmouth rod....."bronzeback". George Minculete built this rod for me, and it is the best looking rod I own. George's work is unbelievable. Unfortunately, I have a couple projects pending that I need to finish. So I am selling off a couple items to fund the completion of these projects.
    The rod was built on a Larry Kenney blank. More information about the build can be found here: http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=43563
    This rod is in mint condition with the exception of a couple small paint flaws that were not captured in the below photos. I will try to add a couple photos of these flaws. I believe there are three small flaws about the size of the tip of a dull pencil each. Otherwise the rod has only been fished twice for about 1 hour each outing.
    I am asking $550.00 shipped. Price includes cordura covered rod tube (contact me if you are international so I can discuss precise shipping costs). Paypal preferred. Email me at coltrane45@hotmail.com or pm me if interested.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Thanks,
    Colt
    • Good Seller / Buyer Good Seller / Buyer x 1
    • List
  2. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +396 / 0
    I'm not in the market but that stick is gorgeous!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G
  3. sagebass Member

Peoria, IL
    Price Reduction: $500.00 Shipped. (contact me if you are international so I can discuss precise shipping costs which may vary). Paypal preferred. Email me at coltrane45@hotmail.com or pm me if interested.
  4. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +319 / 2
    Wow Colt, gorgeous rod. Wish I could spring for another one right now, but no.

For those interested, Colt is a straight shooter.
  5. sagebass Member

Peoria, IL
    Thanks David. I appreciate the kind words.

Colt
  6. Get Some Member

The Deep South
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    beautiful rod, looks amazing. Hows it handle big poppers and deer hairs/ streamers?
  7. sagebass Member

Peoria, IL
    I haven't fished it much, but I have taken it out twice. One of the times I fished it with a Rio Power Fly 7wt. line. I believe the Rio Power Fly line replaced the clouser series. The rod handled the 7wt. line pretty well. If you were going to throw big poppers, deer hairs and streamers, I might recommend considering uplining with a 7wt. line. When Larry sold me the blank he specified that the tip was really strong and he might consider trying a 7wt. line in addition to a 6wt. line. So I think the rod handles either without issue.

In my opinion, the biggest poppers and deer hairs are still going to cast best with an 8wt. line. But compared to several other 6/7wt. rods I've had, this one is pretty powerful. When you want more power the rod just loads a bit deeper. It's very progressive.

The second time I took the rod out I used a Scientific Anglers Mastery 6wt. Bass Taper line. The 6wt. line added some distance. I use a lot of smaller top water bugs and clousers in sizes #6 and #8 fishing for bass in Illinois. A lot of our fish are in the 12" to 16" range and I typically reach for flies in that range. For those size flies, I think the 6wt. Bass Taper line works pretty well.

I hope that helps.
    Colt
  8. sagebass Member

Peoria, IL
    Reduced again. $440.00 Shipped. to the lower 48 states. Contact me for international shipping.

Colt
  9. sagebass Member

Peoria, IL