Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Laid Off! Fish or Be responsible?

1K views 37 replies 28 participants last post by  lylelovett666 
#1 ·
My time at the 520 floating bridge has come to an end. Floating out the last of the pontoons in another couple weeks. So alas lay off time has come and I am yet again another laid off carpenter. Now the question be responsible and look for more work; oooooor sit down tie some flies, read my new fly fishing books, and go out and do some fishing. I suppose I also have a giant honey-do list. Build raised garden beds, dig out yard, build retaining wall, fix fence, yada yada yada. So many choices. Anyone looking to pay me to be their fishing buddy. Ahhh life choices.

#4 ·
I'd say fish, but with the buckets o' water heading our way, rivers sure to be out of sorts even more than normal this time of year, and trout season still a month away... be responsible now so you'll be ready when things are right.

#5 ·
I got laid off in December of 1997 and took until the end of April off - no kids at the time, did some hockey gigs to make extra money and got un-enjoyment and got lots of wild Steelhead - you should fish, could be a great spring. Getting the honey do's done and some fishing in will be a "good thing" - good luck and enjoy

#7 ·
Use the time to:
  • take a long fishing road trip
  • fly to a warmer climate, sleep on the beach and fish for everything, everywhere
  • do a long thru hike somewhere with fishing along the route, maybe even an overseas trail
  • head to NZ, Tasmania or Chili/Arg't and fish/camp/hike your way across the the country. If money is an issue, your carpentry skills would almost certainly get you a free stay as a WWOOFer anywhere in the world
  • couch surf and fish across the US, Europe, etc. preferably staying with anglers who are willing to take you fishing
  • ...so many options, so little time...
Last but not least, if family obligations prevent you from doing one of the above, get divorced, LOL! You only live once and large blocks of time (before retirement) are too rare to pass up!

#9 ·
When I'm doing the laid off carpenter thing, I get up grab my first cup of coffee, log into WFF and check new posts as I'm setting up my fly tying table in the the living room. About then the first cup of joe is kicking in, so I get the three S's out of the way. Then I find something on the boob tube while I whip out a few of the fly de'jure. Then I either wolf a lunch down or make one to take along. About now it's midday and time to fish. Two minutes after leaving the house I can see the river level(it fluctuates so much so randomly, looking online is a waste of time). The river level dictates what pullout I aim my truck for. Three to ten minutes later I'm stringing my rod and surveying the scene. If I see snouts I might opt for a midge dry or emerger this time of year. If nothing is playing, I'll put a midge pupae under an indicator or try swinging streamers.
It's winter, so I may get skunked. Or I may have an unbelievable day, you never know until you go. But most likely I'll land two or three that I have to work for, especially if the water is below a certain level. Usually the really good days align with higher water events. Sometimes a really good hatch of midges come from nowhere. Then it's back home to greet the family at the door and pretend like I've been doing chores all day;)

#10 ·
All excellent plans. I wish I were a trust fund baby that would make it perfect. I would like to do some travel fishing. Im hoping the wife gets a part time gig at Seatac. Family flies for free anywhere the airline does and can bring up to two guest. No limit on flying. Im already dreaming of fishing trips to New zealand, Scotland, Patagonia. GLY are they union. I think their doing most of their work around bellvue and seattle. Im trying to get on a 3 year school project in Federal way. Last couple years I've been driving hour and forty min to and from work, working tens hours on swing shift. Mon -Sat good money but no time for fishing or anything not worth it anymore. Money doesn't do me any good if I can't spend it haha.

#12 ·
I worked seasonally for 20 yrs, never less than 6 months off a year I then worked a full time job for 20 yrs and retired in Sept. If I had to do it over again I would have worked an extra three months a year and traveled. I did take seasonal work in Montana so I could fish and accepted self imposed poverty. Then I got married. I've never heard of anybody wishing they spent more time working while laying on their death bed. Mix in as much free time as you can, while being a man and taking care of family.

#14 ·
I found myself in a similar situation last summer. Your circumstances are probably different than mine, but I don't have a wife or kids and I save my money well so I took advantage of it. I was off work for about 2 months and I think I spent a total of 5 days at home in Seattle. I camped on the Deschutes for a week. Spent a few weeks fishing around Colorado and New Mexico. Hit pretty much every decent trout stream in Washington. I had the truck packed and ready to go to Montana and Wyoming when they called me back to work. As others have said, large blocks of time off a hard to come by so take advantage of it if you can. I also had some unemployment money coming in and knew my job was waiting for me when things picked up again, so I was pretty comfortable just taking off. That might not be your situation but it's something to think about.

#15 ·
After what our economy went through (still recovering from)? Ya got to remember all your benefits are tied to hours worked. Ive got a friend who is now 67 he always took a month off for hunting sometimes two. He had a hard time finding a job sometimes and ended up being off longer. He retired at 62 and now works full time as a handy man. Cant make it on retirement alone. Also your earning potential goes down after about 45 when you start slowing down.
Pro tips
1. Its always easier to find a job when you already have one.
2.When you work overtime save it, guys that get used to living on it always get fucked when its over
3. Just think of construction like any other career (work all year every year just like the rest of the population)
4. Go get a job lined up. There's a lot of cranes up in town right now.
5. Get used to driving wherever the work is.

#20 ·
After what our economy went through (still recovering from)? Ya got to remember all your benefits are tied to hours worked. Ive got a friend who is now 67 he always took a month off for hunting sometimes two. He had a hard time finding a job sometimes and ended up being off longer. He retired at 62 and now works full time as a handy man. Cant make it on retirement alone. Also your earning potential goes down after about 45 when you start slowing down.
Pro tips
1. Its always easier to find a job when you already have one.
2.When you work overtime save it, guys that get used to living on it always get fucked when its over
3. Just think of construction like any other career (work all year every year just like the rest of the population)
4. Go get a job lined up. There's a lot of cranes up in town right now.
5. Get used to driving wherever the work is.
Great advise nailbender. I'm not actually concerned about anything. There's work everywhere and I have jobs I can go to if I wanted to. Plus I have a nice medical retirement from the army. Retirement is important though I have my own personal Ira I invest into besides any work shit cause you never know. My goal is to have multiple funds coming in. Military, union, Roth ira, 401, soc sec(pipe dream). I figure if I have lots of options some should come through. I'm more or less just bored now that I've been off work for a day seeing what everyone else's thoughts are. And I'm only 30 so I have all the time in the world. Right? Well that's what I tell myself anyhow. Good tips though.

#23 ·
No journeyman carpenter in local 129 union. Wish I had the skills to be a guide wouldn't have spend so much time on here learning from all you guys. I do dabble photography. I have though of taking a different approach to being paid to be a photographer. I always thought it would be cool to be an adventure type photographer and hire out to groups taking a fishing trip that want to document everything or backcountry hiking fish trips or whatever. I'd go with capture everything for them while the just get to relax. Plus a total excuse for me to be outdoors all the time.

#24 ·
Sounds like you have a family and maybe a mortgage? I'd strongly suggest finding a job instead of going fishing. Fishing is for fun, supporting your family and paying your mortgage or rent are "necessary" and therefore much more important than fishing. Unemployment benefits are a crutch that can make people stupid.

#25 ·
I don't think think I can collect unemployment as I have a CDL A so I can always get a job with that. Unemployment is a crutch as is welfare and both are taken advantage of all the time. I've only been in the union for about a year and I see lots of dudes that love taking advantage of it. But hey whatever they pay into it I guess. If it supports them good for them. Before the union I was army for eleven years so Ive never really been unemployed. No biggie really though like I said. I was just starting convo to stav off boredom.

#28 ·
You have a job still, its called....looking for work.
Best time is between 8am to noon...that's when the job postings are fresh.
Have lunch.
Work at odd jobs till 4pm to supplement the unemployment, without degrading the amount you receive.
Take the rest of the day to go fish.

You will have exercised the mind, soul, as well as the body...life will be good. ;)

#29 ·
If you can afford to take time off, and know exactly how long it will take to find work you can do whatever you want.

If not, then you can't. Doesn't mean you can't fish 2 times a week while you look or do chores.

I couldn't help laughing during the Operation Wall Street stuff and those folks calling themselves the 99 percent. They were the other 1 percent. The 1 percent who can spend months urban camping and protesting without losing anything. A different kind of "elite" but "elite" nonetheless. The rest of us are the 98 percent. We have to play somewhat by The Man's rules

#31 ·
Before my teaching days, I was a union carpenter for 16 years. I had my days and weeks of layoffs and found that I walked the floors when I could have been doing other things. Sure, I took care of the honey-dos but I always felt guilty. I felt I should have been working, making a living for my wife and two kids. I couldn't even think about fishing. Then came an injury that ended the construction days, back to college for a Masters degree, and then seventeen straight years of teaching where I got time off yearly to do the things I wanted to do without feeling guilty. I think you will find your own way but it should include some time for yourself, as well.

#32 ·
You can be a fishing guide in this state for a few bucks. Probably still collect unemployment. There are a few guides on disability. The possibilities are endless. You could milk the government, tax payer, resource and have cool videos and lunker alerts to post.

In all seriousness I would fish when it's on and good, then use the rest of the time to get job site. It's winter, there's few fish and plenty of blowout days. Choose wisely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.