Lake Crescent ONP

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Stonefish, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Board member Go Fish (Dave) and I decided to hit Crescent today on the opener. We've both driven by it hundreds of times on our way to the coast and it has been on our bucket list for awhile.
    We ended up with a combined total of 15 fish. Dave got his fish on a black leech or bugger and I got most of mine on a white bugger. With the clear water, it was fun watching the fish track the fly before committing to the take.

While we didn't land anything large, knowing they are all wild native fish made up for the lack of size.
    We were able to land three species of fish, coastal and crescenti cutthroat as well as beardslee rainbows. Catching a new forms of cutthroat and rainbow was especially rewarding.

Overall, good weather and a nice day on the water with a good friend.
    Here are a few pics from today.
    SF
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Nice report, Brian. I spent quite a bit of time there growing up in PA. Used to fish the mouth of Barnes creek for cutts. Spent many hot summer days swimming in that frigid water was well.

3. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Yessir.

4. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Great idea to fish Crescent this weekend guys and thanks for the photos and report. I look forward to fishing it myself this year.

Jeff

5. Islander

Islander Steve

Great Report. I love fishing that lake. It's definitely one of Washington's most unique fisheries.

6. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

It was a great day to take a flyer on a
    multi-hour drive to a huge lake and fish.
    Weather was almost perfect, access was
    as easy as pie (there is a bar and espresso
    at the lodge), plus real bathrooms. All the fish
    fought very well. One 14 inch coastal cutt jumped
    3 times before hitting the net. A great trip and will
    be done again. Even the leaky waders couldn't
    deter me. Brian, as usual, put on a clinic.

Dave

Richard Torres likes this.
  7. Kyle McCurdy

Kyle McCurdy Member

Fished the opener as well! Tried my luck at Barnes and landed 4 in the hour i was able to fish before work.

Nice photos. Looks like you guys had a good time.

Stonefish likes this.
  8. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

Great report and even greater pics. Can you tell me if the temps hold less than 65 degrees during the height of the summer?

9. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Stonefish- educate me which fish is which and how do you tell the difference- I'm assuming the first two are beardslee, the last two crescenti, the middle the coastal cutt?

10. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Boot,
    I believe your id to be true. It was my first time fishing there, so it was a bit of a guessing game for us as well in regards to what we were catching.
    We talked to a very helpful angler while out on the lake who helped us id what we were catching.
    He mentioned the coastal cutts would have a brownish color, having just finished spawning. That one was easy as I've caught many of them before.
    He mentioned the crescenti would be silvery with slightly yellow fins and faint throat markings. You can see a yellowish pectoral fin on the fourth fish. I understand there may be cuttbows in the lake as well.

The beardslees had a very distinctive blue back to them. It was very visible in the water as they tracked the fly.
    You can see some blue around the eye of the first fish.
    Here is another picture that I didn't post. Notice how much smaller the mouth is on this fish. It looks like a hen beardslee to me.

[​IMG]

Hell, I might be totally wrong about my fish id skills. I do know that I caught three very different looking types of fish and it was fun as heck fishing for them. Perhaps Kyle McCurdy can chime in as he has fished it quite a bit.
    Hope this helps.
    SF

wadin' boot likes this.
  11. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Hey, looks like a good time guys! Nice speckles on the cutthroat's mandible. Kool.

12. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Re-reading this thread, my guess that the cutthroat I brought to net there on Wedn was what they call a "downstream" Coastal Cutt (not a Crescenti), due to its olive brownish hue and red-tipped dorsal fin. She was heavily spotted, a little bit lean and mean, but strong, solid, and by no means "snakey." Regaining her heft after winter/spring spawning. She was a very pretty looking cutthroat! Her hue and spotting was similar to the that of the cutthroat seen in the center shot in the above pics that Stonefish posted, but I think the one I caught was prettier.:)
    We estimate that she was around 16"
    She definitely deserves a place in my "best ever" cutthroat memories. She's in the "top ten."

Jeff Dodd and Stonefish like this.
  13. Kyle McCurdy

Kyle McCurdy Member

Coastal cutt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beardslee

[​IMG]

The lighter spotted fish from the OP i believe is the crecenti.

Jim Wallace and Stonefish like this.
  14. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

This photo illustrates why Beardslee Trout were called "Bluebacks".

Jack DSC01612.JPG
    PS The red in the photo is a fly,not blood.)
    J

Jim Wallace and Stonefish like this.
  15. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I just put together the best lake trolling rig I could cobble together from my pile of miscellaneous gear...custom made for targeting big trout like those legendary big Beardlees.

I discovered that 3/4" (inner diameter) PVC exactly fits over the butt end of my 6 or 7 wt (hard to determine what weight it is!) Fenwick Boron 9' rod that has a rearward tightening reel seat. As it existed before modification, I couldn't jab the rod butt into my gut and crank the reel handle. That boron is kind of heavy, and the rod flexes into the cork handle. It seems a bit unwieldy for casting, but is excellent for trolling streamers. I prefer a medium action full flex rod for trolling, since its much easier than a fast action rod to bring a fish in close alongside when you just want to unhook it. You can bend the tip of this rod around full circle to meet the butt.
    Now I have a 3.5" extension that fits snugly, held on by zip-ties in front of the reel. Jams into my gut with authority and I can crank away. The whole thing is 6.5" long. I just had to cut a slot in the pvc for the reel base with my dremel, and spray paint it black.
    Reel is my old Medalist 1594 RC loaded with the Cortland 333 6 wt type 3.
    I'm going to get a faster sinking line for it. I might have to get a reel with more line capacity. I figure the line and backing should total at least 600 feet, in case I hook Moby Beardslee and he heads for the bottom.:eek:

ROB-ERT and Jeff Dodd like this.