Lake Stevens skunk report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by ken2cross, May 10, 2013.

1. ken2cross

ken2cross Member

I just spent the morning fishing Lake Stevens. Granted we were on the water a bit late (7:30ish) but tried a nymph for a while, nada. Switched to Kokenee gear (our intended quarry today) and the surface immediately started showing some fish feeding just below the surface. I could only guess what they were eating. I couldn't see anything hatching. Too late, I had to pick up my buddy at the dock. Once underway again all the surface activity was gone.

5 hours and one nibble on kokanee gear. 1 broken reel, 2 sets of lost terminal gear. Still a beautiful day on the water and the crazy skiers weren't there yet. I guess I need to just stick with flies.

2. You were gear fishing for the kokenee?

3. ken2cross

ken2cross Member

Like I said, back to flies. I don't think you can catch kokanee on flies.

4. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Catching them "on flies" is pretty easy. Catching them while "fly fishing" is probably more difficult.
    Trolled behind a dodger they can be as good as anything else. I recently tied a bunch for an upcoming kokanee trip.

5. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Just spent a few days trolling flies behind dodgers. A few flies were retired to hat duty because they were so torn up.

Attached Files:

Dehlan G likes this.
  6. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

I catch Kokes on flies when fishing for rainbows at Wallowa lake. One fish i will not return to the H2O. Usually get then deep on a type 6 line. I'm going to try to catch some today at another local lake.

Jeff Dodd likes this.