Lake Washington Sockeye

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Whitey, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Whitey Active Member

Far side of the moon
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    Just wondering if any of you fly fishers out there went to lake washington for the sockeye fishing. I went out on friday morning along with the masses of people. We brought a couple of fly rods just for fun. We decided to try a fly rod out but couldn't seem to get deep enough. My buddy came up with an idea. Put a red hook on a #6 leader and put it on a down rigger. Not you're typical setup! :EEK We had it down for about an hour. It was pretty funny to see a $1000.00 rod and reel bent over the side of the boat. We hooked a flasher to the down rigger ball, but unfortunately we didn't even get a nibble. We soon went back to the more conventional method! Anyway, we had fun, caught a couple of nice sockeyes. Anybody else go out and see what all the hub-bub was about? :HAPPY
  2. Gary B New Member

Bothell, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Yes we went out, I got rid of all my conventional gear when I got rid of my boat and down riggers etc. I have some pretty heavy line so I thought I would try, but I bought the line when I had a 7&8 wt rod, this time I only had a 6wt and I don't think I could have set the hook if I wanted to with all that line out to try and get down deep enough, I am sure I was down between 40 and 60 feet, but no takers. It was fun though.

Gary