Lake Washington Sockeye

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Whitey, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Just wondering if any of you fly fishers out there went to lake washington for the sockeye fishing. I went out on friday morning along with the masses of people. We brought a couple of fly rods just for fun. We decided to try a fly rod out but couldn't seem to get deep enough. My buddy came up with an idea. Put a red hook on a #6 leader and put it on a down rigger. Not you're typical setup! :EEK We had it down for about an hour. It was pretty funny to see a $1000.00 rod and reel bent over the side of the boat. We hooked a flasher to the down rigger ball, but unfortunately we didn't even get a nibble. We soon went back to the more conventional method! Anyway, we had fun, caught a couple of nice sockeyes. Anybody else go out and see what all the hub-bub was about? :HAPPY

2. Yes we went out, I got rid of all my conventional gear when I got rid of my boat and down riggers etc. I have some pretty heavy line so I thought I would try, but I bought the line when I had a 7&8 wt rod, this time I only had a 6wt and I don't think I could have set the hook if I wanted to with all that line out to try and get down deep enough, I am sure I was down between 40 and 60 feet, but no takers. It was fun though.

Gary