Lake Whatcom

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Castleton, Aug 29, 2001.

1. I'm going to be spending the upcoming weekend at Lake Whatcom and was wondering if anyone has any good fly fishing areas in mind. Thanks.

2. I've been fishing Post Point in Fairhaven for Pink Salmon. they are in thick right now. Just take Harris Ave through Fairhaven until you come to the small park at the end of the road. Follow the railroad tracks south until you reach the first beach. Fish the around 6 to 8 pm during the last low tide. You should see them surfacing. Pink shrimp patterns, and chartuese streamers (Clousers) are supposed to work good. I don't know much about Lake Whatcome other than you will need a boat or floattube. I've heard the southwest end of the lake is the best. Good Luck.

3. Lake Whatcom itself is an excellent smallmouth bass fishery. I have on;y fished it twice, but others report great success as well. I have done well right around the boat launch, fiahing some of the rockier, drop-off areas. Use a full sink 6 or 7 weight and medium sized streamers. They are very agressive in Whatcom, more so than other smallie fisheries like Samamish and Washington. Good Luck-

Jon