Lakes near Pullman

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by cnnorgil, Mar 26, 2013.

1. cnnorgil

cnnorgil Member

Anyone know any lakes or streams within an hour drive of Pullman that I could possible wet a line in this weekend? I'm going to college here at WSU and wanted to take advantage of the good weather forecast. I'm not looking for anyone's secrets lakes or anything like that! Just any known lakes or streams that hold fish within an hour drive or so! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
  3. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    May be a bit out of range, but Rock Lake. There used to also be a public access stocker pond on Upper Union Flat Creek Road. Near the intersection (according to Google Earth) of Upper Union Flat Creek Road and Stevick Rd. Just downstream (Union Flat Creek). No idea if it's stocked or open anymore.

Best still water is probably either Rock Lake, or the North side of the Snake from Wawawai County Park (above Lower Granite). Good smallies and Carp in the Wawawai bay, and the gravel upstream of Wawawai was usually passable bass and crappie water. If your in a boat on the Snake, watch your ass as the wind comes up hard, and with no warning.

I'll assume, you know about the Grande Ronde, Snake above Clarkston and the Clearwater. They should be able to take care of plenty of your free time :) I know it's how I passed the winters as WSU.

Catfish below Lower Granite can be good too.

4. rock lack has some huge fuggin trout in there

triploidjunkie likes this.
  5. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Rock Lake is also a proven killer. Wear pfd, and if the wind comes up, get out. There is no place to swim to if things go wrong.

6. cnnorgil

cnnorgil Member

Thanks for the input everyone! Does anyone know if there is any bank access fishing on Rock Lake? unfortunately my boat and float tube are at home on the Westside!

7. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Rock lake has a smaller lake connected to it by a large stream. I usually concentrate on the stream , but there is plenty of shore access on the smaller lake. There are some tackle busting browns in that lake. Probably some of the biggest browns in Washington.

David Dalan, cnnorgil and BASS_TURDS like this.
  8. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Careful, unless you are a member, or have written permission (depending on which stream) both are private property, and they do own the land under the stream because it is used for irrigation/live stock. Either way you can get in big trouble. Just a heads up.

9. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I float down in my pontoon and row back up. No laws violated. I see tons of people walk over and shore fish the smaller lake, there aren't any No Trespassing signs anywhere, . Isn't there even a turnstile thing so you can enter without opening gates?

10. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    This will be interesting to know more about.

11. David Dalan

Media:
    If there is no fence, and no signs, you would need to be verbally trespassed (at which point you would need to leave). Always best to ask first if you know who to ask. But if it is not posted or fenced, I would have no hesitation about fishing it.

12. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

My bad Trip. I thought you were talking about the streams. I was (and thought you were) talking about the inlet and outlet streams. Across the road from the parking lot, right were you can walk through that small opening, there use to be a no trespassing sign. As of this past fall, I noticed he put a new wrap of barbed wire blocking that opening, but there wasn't a sign yet. I know it wasn't to keep animals in, because the opening was too small to begin with. I spoke with the land owner last year, he is okay with people fishing the lake from shore - but hinted that may change due to all of the garbage people are leaving behind...

As far as a "No Trespassing" sign being needed to keep people out, the law is in favor of the landowner. Here in Washington State, it is the individuals responsibility to know the boundaries. Having a sign posted just keeps the "honest people honest". If someone wants to take that risk, it will depend on how pist off the landowner is on how far he's willing to prosecute.

I got kicked off that property last year. I made an honest mistake thinking that a certain boundary extended farther than I was led to believe, from the land owner that I got permission from! I'm sure that it was me, misunderstanding which fence line it ended at, but when I got asked to leave, I felt sick to my stomach. I'm sure the land owner thought I was making up my story, and thought I just wondered in because there was no sign. That outlet (from the little lake down) is owned by a guy that leases it out to a guiding outfit. Seems like that's the way to make easy money these days...

P.S. Fish and Game patrol that lake often. Anyone here, that fishes that lower lake, please help with the poaching. All I do, is ask the people on the shore: "Hey, do you know what the limit is here? Twice asked, and both times within 5 minutes, they left. (only after pulling up their stringer of 15 fish!!!) From what the wardens have told me, most of these guys don't even have a licenses.

13. gofisch

gofisch Member

I spoke with this guide service last year and was shocked at what they charge. I'm not opposed to paying a guide I've done it several times in my life. But I have a hard time paying for access only(expensive access), which this service basically is. No offense to the guide service just my opinion.

14. David Dalan

Media:
    I know I am drifting from the topic at hand, but your analysis is not correct. In WA, according to the relevant RCW (definitions section of RCW 9A.52.010) i quote...(bold section is what I am talking about).

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.52.010

"A license or privilege to enter or remain in a building which is only partly open to the public is not a license or privilege to enter or remain in that part of a building which is not open to the public. A person who enters or remains upon unimproved and apparently unused land, which is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders, does so with license and privilege unless notice against trespass is personally communicated to him or her by the owner of the land or some other authorized person, or unless notice is given by posting in a conspicuous manner. Land that is used for commercial aquaculture or for growing an agricultural crop or crops, other than timber, is not unimproved and apparently unused land if a crop or any other sign of cultivation is clearly visible or if notice is given by posting in a conspicuous manner. Similarly, a field fenced in any manner is not unimproved and apparently unused land. A license or privilege to enter or remain on improved and apparently used land that is open to the public at particular times, which is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner to exclude intruders, is not a license or privilege to enter or remain on the land at other times if notice of prohibited times of entry is posted in a conspicuous manner."

So what I was saying is accurate. If the land in question is not "improved and apparently unused", fenced or posted...you are completely legal unless asked to leave. Most importantly, you are NOT trespassing from a legal standpoint. The RCW specifically gives you license to be there until verbally asked to leave.

If the ground is improved (cropped, someone's yard, parking lot, etc.) then this does not apply. You would be trespassing if you do not have permission, and you do not have to be warned to be cited.

Keep in mind I have not researched case law, but the statute seems pretty plain to me. But that does not mean you won't get cited and have to defend yourself in court. Your mileage may vary!

This does not, of course, change the fact that proper etiquette demands you find out if the land if public or private and gain the proper permission to cross it if it is private. The WDFW maintains a great database of public lands, as does the BLM and various national parks, forrests, etc. With a little arm chair sleuthing, you can find out 90% of the information you need to behave respectfully.