LARGE inshore predator

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Milt Roe, May 15, 2013.

1. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

I'm glad you posted it, I'm just interested in a detailed discussion of the possible suspects. :) Hope you get an even better look next time!

2. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Maidmer?
    [​IMG]

plaegreid likes this.
  3. Tony Polizzi

Tony Polizzi Active Member

I was in thigh deep water @ 0500 this morning first couple of casts, looked over to see a n olive green brown eight inch chunk of tail above the water, attached to about a 12' six gill shark type fish, it was about 4' away pointed into current, lots of little sand eel fish, it showly moved away up current, I cast at it twice, amazing to see.

Mark Mercer likes this.
  4. :D:D:D

Gary Knowels likes this.
  5. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Makes me wonder if the report of the Great White smacking a flasher/squid combo 10 years or so ago wasn't a 7 gill instead.

6. Tony Polizzi

This big fish was moving slow and deliberate like a basking shark or a paddle fish, kind of like just filtering along, it was an amazing thing to see, it just moseid along out onto the flats into the 3 or 4 knot current towards the main channel, this spot is more like a wide shallow river.

7. Tony Polizzi

Also this is probably the only place in the world I could explain what I saw and have no one ask why in the world I was standing in thigh deep water at 0500 with a 12' shark. Gotta love the NW.

plaegreid, Mark Mercer and Ed Call like this.
  8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Cool stuff you'd never even know about unless you were out there by the crack of dawn. Myself I'm just waking up about then, unless I set my alarm. By the time I'm out the door, I'm usually already late for the show.

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Didn't ask because I know you had already deployed your shat shark repellent. Admire your ability to calmly move away and get some casts off.

10. Tony Polizzi

11. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

That's really cool Tony, something you don't see everyday.... or life time, and I'll probably never see one cause the only 5:00 I ever see is the PM one. With all these interesting sightings maybe I need to think about getting up earlier.

12. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Aquatic Sasquatch - for sure!

13. Milt Roe

Milt Roe Member

news fish.jpg

Dipnet likes this.
  14. Dipnet

Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

I've known that fisherman, Bob, for many years and he worked as the marine collector for the Point Defiance Aquarium for a long time and had caught a number of six and seven-gills during his career. He would have known the difference.

Jonathan Tachell likes this.