LARGE inshore predator

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Milt Roe, May 15, 2013.

1. mbowers Active Member

Jupiter, FL / Victoria, BC
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    I'm glad you posted it, I'm just interested in a detailed discussion of the possible suspects. :) Hope you get an even better look next time!
  2. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +319 / 2
    Maidmer?
    [IMG]
    plaegreid likes this.
  3. Tony Polizzi Active Member

PT, OP
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    I was in thigh deep water @ 0500 this morning first couple of casts, looked over to see a n olive green brown eight inch chunk of tail above the water, attached to about a 12' six gill shark type fish, it was about 4' away pointed into current, lots of little sand eel fish, it showly moved away up current, I cast at it twice, amazing to see.
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  4. Matt Baerwalde ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +207 / 0
    :D:D:D
    Gary Knowels likes this.
  5. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +970 / 1
    Makes me wonder if the report of the Great White smacking a flasher/squid combo 10 years or so ago wasn't a 7 gill instead.
  6. Tony Polizzi Active Member

PT, OP
    This big fish was moving slow and deliberate like a basking shark or a paddle fish, kind of like just filtering along, it was an amazing thing to see, it just moseid along out onto the flats into the 3 or 4 knot current towards the main channel, this spot is more like a wide shallow river.
  7. Tony Polizzi Active Member

PT, OP
    Also this is probably the only place in the world I could explain what I saw and have no one ask why in the world I was standing in thigh deep water at 0500 with a 12' shark. Gotta love the NW.
    plaegreid, Mark Mercer and Ed Call like this.
  8. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    Cool stuff you'd never even know about unless you were out there by the crack of dawn. Myself I'm just waking up about then, unless I set my alarm. By the time I'm out the door, I'm usually already late for the show.
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,359 / 9
    Didn't ask because I know you had already deployed your shat shark repellent. Admire your ability to calmly move away and get some casts off.
  10. Tony Polizzi Active Member

PT, OP
  11. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    That's really cool Tony, something you don't see everyday.... or life time, and I'll probably never see one cause the only 5:00 I ever see is the PM one. With all these interesting sightings maybe I need to think about getting up earlier.
  12. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +516 / 0
    Aquatic Sasquatch - for sure!
  13. Milt Roe Member

Taco Ma
    Ratings: +14 / 0
  14. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    I've known that fisherman, Bob, for many years and he worked as the marine collector for the Point Defiance Aquarium for a long time and had caught a number of six and seven-gills during his career. He would have known the difference.
    Jonathan Tachell likes this.