Laying up carbon handles

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Mikey_Mac, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Mikey_Mac

Mikey_Mac Member

Soooooo- How in the hell do you learn how to lay up carbon handles? Any recommendations on any videos or books or anything?

2. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

Are you talking about carbon tubes? If so they use arbors. If not, I'm not sure.

3. Lex Story

Lex Story Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek

First learn the fundamentals of fiberglass or woven fabric layups. Especially get to understand work times and temperatures for epoxy. You can buy woven sleeves now so you don't need to learn how to wrap and overlap fabric without twisting all goofy.
    Check out: http://www.solarcomposites.com/MakingShafts.html
    They also used to sell the cores that you can custom shape but I couldn't find in on their site.

4. Lex Story

Lex Story Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek

5. Mikey_Mac

Mikey_Mac Member

Sweet!!! Thanks!!! I work in the bike industry- and I have a friend who has messed around with some carbon and fiberglass layups (he's into boating). Gonna have him teach me the basics, then I will have to get some of these sleeves and molds and take a shot at it! I appreciate the feedback!

6. jar8

jar8 Member

I get my materials from rileyrods.com ; practice with smaller pieces first,that way you'll avoid wasting materials should anything go wrong.