Leach pattern retrieves for newbie

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by FNG, May 31, 2013.

1. FNG

FNG New Member

I've tried chrono fishing, but my pontoon doesn't like to stay inflated long enough to dial in on the fish and I have to hug closeish to shore for when I have to get out and put more air in. Because of this, I've primarily stuck to fishing leaches near the bank, structure, lily pads on type V full sink lines.

I live on Trafton lake and have a lot of success using a white leach pattern (size 12), but all I seem to catch is perch and largemouth. I thoroughly enjoy catching them, but I want to get dialed into the trout. The perch and largemouth aren't as big as the trout I've caught on night crawlers nor do they put up the fight I'm after.

My typical retrieves are varied short/long fast retrieves. I feel like the strikes I'm getting are because it more closely resembles a minnow as aposed to a leach and this is why the trout aren't interested. If anyone else on here has experienced something similar or has any info at all I'd greatly appreciate the help.

2. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

I have a pretty simple answer. It's not your fly or method of retrieve. You're simply fishing where bass and perch are present and active because of the warmer temperatures. In many lakes where spiny rays live alongside trout, the time of year, weather and temperatures will largely dictate what is active at a given time. Martha near Warm Beach is a good example. In mild and cooler temps you can't miss on 3 species of trout; then as soon as it warms up for summer most or all of what you see are LM and perch. Lots and lots of them.

I don't know Trafton but, if it has bass and perch in addition to trout, it will likely act the same way to some degree. I grew up on Tanwax in Pierce County and it was the same down there. Anyhow, if you're more after trout, you'll want to try other locations and times of day on your lake (when your pontoon will allow) and I would even suggest hitting a spot like Pass where it's all trout. BTW, you can't miss in the eves right now at Pass, it's downright easy.

One other thought, I wouldn't give those fish or your fly that much credit. In my experience they generally don't look at a fly and give it that much consideration like you and I would. Usually it's just "food" or something peculiar to strike at and that's about it, save for territorial behavior. For the most part, you just need to find trout while active and get in front of them and much of the time they'll take whatever you have to offer. Expect them to get finicky closer to the surface or whenever visibility creates a safety issue. Good luck!

Jack Devlin, Irafly and Islander like this.
  3. Preston

Preston Active Member

For starters, "leach" is a verb, meaning to remove soluble components by the percolation of liquid through a permeable material. I presume you mean "leech", a worm, frequently aquatic, of the class Hirudinea. Leeches swim with a rapid, vertical undulation, making a lot of movement without covering much distance.

4. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Preston, nice catch on that, I wonder though how well you would communicate if given a time machine to travel back say 300 years? Because you are aware that language continues to evolve is your intended outcome to stall the progression of language or just preserve tradition for the sake of tradition? It seems to me that correction has an appropriate time and place when referenced with content. AKA Pandas Eat Shoots and Leaves, when the meaning is easy to misconstrue, but in this case it seems to me pointless to correct when it is so easy to infer understanding. Help me understand your purpose? Did you honestly not know that he was refereing to leeches versus leaches? Maybe he wanted to hit up a double entendre, you know leaching for some info on leeches.

I do appreciate though that you mentioned movement of real leeches being eratic with little forward movement, that's why I prefer to fish them with a vertical presentation, although quick can trigger strikes regardless of intent of insect.

By the way I left some spelling and punctuation errors in there for you, assuming you enjoy that kind of stuff.

Billy McFly and Mark Kraniger like this.
  5. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

If we went back 300 years we'd have a problem with our "f"s and "s"s in the print language.

Greg Armstrong likes this.
  6. bkerbs

bkerbs Member

Fix your pontoon boat. It may help your leach fishing.

7. FNG

FNG New Member

Tim,

Thanks for all the help. I'm heading back out to pass today it's only a couple miles away. I found the leak in my pontoon, it's just a sticky valve, now if I can just get it unstuck. I'm still in the process of reading your book, it has added a lot of tricks to by bag. And Preston, my deapest apologys, I'll work on my speling. :)

Irafly likes this.
  8. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Lol.

9. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Effing New Guy messing with our perfect balance. Good poke back FNG, you'll fit right in.

10. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

"I have it on good auforitief the fixf rule of fifhing the leechef for Trootf if to give it fificf and fitf"

fir Ifaac Walton (After a half dofen fiderf)

Jim Speaker and Irafly like this.
  11. FNG

FNG New Member

I made the switch to my kayak since I've only been able to "slow" the leak in my toon. I took this guy on mids about 3' off the bottom along with several more 18-19' fish. It's the first real fight Ive had on flies so far and I was blown away. I fished the banks all day with a black wooly bugger and caught several largemouth but still no trout. As the day wore on I anchored up and took and made the switch to mids under an indicator and bam. This lake is full of nice trout. Thanks for all the help guys, I'll keep plugging away at the leech fishing to see if I can find the trout. I'm gonna give Pass a shot tomorrow and fish leeches until my arm falls off or until I catch a monster. If anyone is ever interested in fishing a new lake, I'll be happy to meet up since it is private.

Attached Files:

Skyler Evans likes this.
  12. FNG

FNG New Member

13. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

DSC01611.jpeg

Sorry to here that your boat leeks.
    Jack
    I kind of twitch the leach and retrieve it slowly. Seems to work for me.
    Jack

FNG likes this.