Lead in the river

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by LD, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    While I don't have the knowledge about whether or not it has been proven to be harmful to our rivers, I can pretty much guarantee you that a lead anchor can be worn down by the river over a couple of years. Not years as in a few hours a day 1/4 of the year, it would be 24/7. And not as in dissolution, but in the same way that river rocks are rounded over time, or the way rain will wear down cement forming a line at the edge of a carport.
    The reason lead paint is harmful is because it chips off and gets pulverized into dust where it is then inhaled or ingested. It seems as though the same thing might happen to our rivers should they become too littered in the future. Even if it has not been proven one way or another , it sure sounds bad in theory. Why wait to find out.
    On a related note, leads atomic symbol is Pb which stands for plumbum, the latin derivative of the modern plumbing. As it turns out the Ancients actually used lead as an easily molded medium for pipes to transport water. I don't believe we do that anymore.

With respect,
    Patrick

triploidjunkie likes this.
  2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Here's the deal. I don't care if anyone wishes to use non-lead weights and anchors in rivers and in fact I think it is likely a good idea. I don't agree with some of the hype being spread about lead anchors and the damage caused by using them. Concrete dissolves in fresh water. So does most types of rock. Lead does not. Comparing the two is apples and oranges. I only ask for proof that lead anchors are a significant danger to the environment. So far I have only seen anecdotal evidence and opinion. And I think some of that is being made up as we go.

3. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    I don't quite think it is apples and oranges, concrete can be worn down by water, but the end result is still a mixture of the two substances, not a solution. So its not really water soluble, just like lead. But when I look at a canister of split shot and I see that the inside of the container is coated with a fine lead dust, without all of the erosive forces of a river it makes me wonder. And if I were to dump out the shot, pour a little water in there and swished it around, would you want to drink that mixture?
    Other than all that I guess I would have to agree to disagree rather than elaborate any more on the subject. To each their own opinion I guess.

4. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    I'd be more worried about Hanford Nuclear waste leaking into the Columbia than fucking lead in the rivers

5. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Where I sit I worry more about all the mercury and lead the fucking Canadians dump into the Columbia daily than the radioactive waste. Mostly because I'm upstream of Hanford.

Jamie Wilson likes this.
  6. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Them canadians are something else,They dump raw sewage into the straits at victoria b.c. , then theres the mining waste that is poured into the upper columbia. But in spite of all this they still have way better fisheries that we do . Not to mention nobody in washington has strip clubs like them canadians

7. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    I didn't take the time to read everything, but to answer the light lead anchor question.. Most companies do not use 100% lead because it is expensive. I challenge you to weigh sinkers, or anchors, and see what you come up with. I think it will be an eye opening experience.

I pour my own sinkers, muzzleloader balls/slugs, .50-90 sharps slugs, from 99% pure Xray room lead sheets that I melt down. They weight exactly what they are supposed to.

Most of the 32 oz sinkers I weighed were around 28oz, just cast in a 32 oz die.