Line for Redington CT 8' 3wt

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Onthedryonly, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Onthedryonly New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Hi
    Just been offered a Redington CT 8' 3wt 6 pieces which I ve matched with an "old" SA Ultra 4 DT3, and I dont seem to get the feel of it.
    I am wondering if it s the 3wt thing (used to 4 weights, got a Loomis Streamdance HLS 9' 4wt), or if it s the line.
    Sure the rod is mid flex, with not too slow a recovery though.
    But even when I pay real close attention to the timing, I dont get nice loops and get very little feel in the rod.
    And with the slightest breeze things really get out of control.
    Should I try a 4wt line?
    All advice will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Steve Unwin Active Member

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    Might be the 3wt thing. I am learning how to cast my new 3wt and while I think a line change might help, it's just so light that you can't feel what is going on. I'm a fairly novice caster but the 3wt has such a light feel. I don't know how it would compare to a 4wt.
  3. docstash Member

selah, wa.
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    I use a 380-4 CT all the time on the Naches with a Rio Grand WF3F. The majority of my casts are spey casts with only a few overhead off a spey cast change of direction.
    Craig@redsflyshop.com
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,521 / 9
    I have that 6pc 3wt. I like both a wf3 and dt3 on it. I don't see the need to over long a moderate action rod like this one.
  5. Onthedryonly New Member

Hi
    Yes, after some more practice on the grass this evening I agree that switching to a 4wt line probably wouldnt be a good idea. Half a line weight, maybe, with a different line design... Or more likely a different line, still in a 3wt.
    The very light wind seems to be the problem combined with the somewhat slow speed of the rod (i tried to cast with more than 27 feet of line off the tip and it didnt do the trick at all, just gave the wind more grip on the line and slowed things further).
    I d need a 3 wt line that would gather more speed. I need to be able to drop my dry fly with precision at about 27 feet in a light wind, unfortunately.
    Probably not what a medium action 3wt 8' rod is designed for...
    My Loomis HLS 4wt 9' should do the trick. I really liked the idea of a 6 piece though - and the fish is small, though the river is about 54 feet wide.
  6. Onthedryonly New Member

Thanks for mentioning the Rio Grand, but I really like overhead casting. I only roll cast a dry fly when I am stuck with some trees or bushes behind me.
    It tends to wet the fly and only fish dry fly.
    After another try this morning, I definitely think the low line speed is the issue for me. Since I need a fair amount of line out, and the more line in the air (19 to 23 feet and a 9 to 10 foot leader),the slower its speed and the more open the loops, the solution could be a 2wt line or a 2 1/2 wt.
    I dont know...
    Or switching to a triangle taper.
    Good quality lines are expensive, so I think I ll drop the whole 3 weight business. Dont presently have the money
    to experiment.
    Back to the 4wt high line speed I am used to.
    There should be another 3wt in the classified soon
  7. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,228 / 0
    I had exactly the same experience with my CT 803-6. I'll overline when the rod tells me that it's not happy with the manufacturer's recommendation. My CT doesn't load well with a 3wt line which screws up my casting stroke cues. I'm a lot happier using a 4wt line instead. I switch between a SA GPX DT4 and a SA Selective Trout WF4. I've spent several trips with each and tend to like the half-weight heavier GPX a little better.

K
  8. gabe0430 Banned or Parked

Ratings: +31 / 0
    I have the same problem with a Redington 6wt Voyant, it cast horrible with any 6 wt line. It needs a full size heavier to cast. All the line mfg's make a half to full size heavier lines specificly for fast action rods. For example the RIO Grand states it is a full size heavier for faster rods. What I don't get is why the rod makers don't just tell you to load a heavier line on there fast rods. And why the line makers sell a 6wt for example in a Rio Grand that is really a 7wt. They are putting a 7wt in a 6wt box and calling it another product. There are plenty of new fast rods out there that cast horrible with there true wt line and they do not advertise it. It just makes the consumer buy line that does not work and needs to be replaced...hence another pruchase.
    Jim Wallace and Kent Lufkin like this.
  9. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    Ditto. I tried mine with various lines that I already had and in the end, I put a 4wt Airflo Ridge Supple Tactical on mine.
  10. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    The Redington CT mentioned in the OP is NOT a fast action rod. Instead the company describes it as a 'moderate' action, which, in theory at least, should cast perfectly fine with the rated line.

Part of the reason that folks overline fast action rods is that those rods are increasingly too responsive for the average caster. Their actions require split-second casting stroke inputs in order to get the most from their power, and thus a skill or experience level that many folks simply don't have. To help them feel more in control of their too-fast rod, line makers came up with overly-heavy lines. Although lines like the Rio Grand or the SA GPX have the same numerical designation, they're actually heavier than the spec, effectively oerlining fast rods and slowing them down enough that they become easier to control.

Other folks (like me!) simply prefer slower-action rods. I fish bamboo most of the time and learning how to deal with the enormously wide variations in cane actions has made me a better caster. Because of that, it's not as important to me that I have an exact match between a particular rod and a recommended line weight. If it's close, I can probably cast it.

The problem is when the rod and recommended line weight are out of synch, as they seem to be on the CT series. Yes, I can cast the rod with the recommended weight, but it takes a lot more effort than it should, which is why I overline it.

K
  11. Onthedryonly New Member

Thanks a lot for your input. It cheers me up a little as I was starting to wonder whether my limited skills were actually so bad that I just couldnt adapt to a different rod - by the way, I mentioned the rod I m used to as being a 9' Streamdance HLS 4wt, but it's actually a 5wt, which I use with a TT 5 line, with much pleasure. Probably wish I had a 4wt ;)) The 5wt is overkill on those small cutthroats...
    Do you think a TT 4 could do the trick on the Redington? It could be fine tune by shortening the tip, if need be... Just in case I happened to run into a second hand one on ebay or in the classified...
  12. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    While others may disagree, I've never felt much mojo from TT lines, especially at short range. That's not to say they don't provide value - just not to me.

Although on paper a 5wt TT might be a bit overkill for your CT, in practice their long front taper might end up being a good choice for the CT, especially on small water. Since you already own it, it's certainly worth a try.

K
  13. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +419 / 0
    I have a 9' 5 weight CT and love the TT in 5 on that rod. I also have the 8' 3 weight CT and I like it with a SA Mastery Trout 3 weight. I didn't like it with DT3 or Rio Mainstream. I never lines it up with a 4 weight, but I would be interested in trying it. in fact I just picked up a 4 weight airflo line last week that I'll put on it in the park tonight and see how it casts.
  14. Yak Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    I like the TT lines for the lighter rods so it may be a good option. Not sure on the Red 3 wt but I have use the TT on my sage 389-2 and it really suits my casting.
  15. Siskiyoublues Member

United States
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Interesting, I never noticed the 8' 3wt to be out of sync with a trout taper 3wt line. Sensitive enough to cast to my feet and accurate and easy to control at 40'. Just goes to show that everyone's got different preference, but i'd hardly go so far as to call the ratings "out of sync".
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  16. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Or as the car ads say, "Your mileage may vary!"

K
  17. Onthedryonly New Member

Well, I tried the TT5 and it does overload the rod - probably especially since I customized it for my Streamdance HLS by shortening the tip.
    Yet, it feels like a TT4 could do the trick (same thing, the tip would have to be customized, I believe).
    The prob with this rod is that it doesnt seem (as far as I can tell) to be really progressive.
    If i use a short length of DT3 line, so that it will cast with the tip, I get fairly nice loops and good accuracy with good line speed. When I get more line, up to 25-29 feet, it falls apart; it almost feels overloaded, yet the blank doesnt seem to bend further down as it should, and take the load.
    It doesnt seem to be an easy rod anyway. I dont think it s worth all the efforts either.
    For those who have managed to balance it, is it worth the investment of a new line (4wt) or should I get "rid" of it and go for a 4wt, like the 8'6 St Croix Imperial which got good reviews in a shootout last year?
    It would be more suited yo mu fishing conditions too (slight wind)...
  18. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Onthedryonly, FWIW, I like the CT 8' 6-piece 3wt. Not as much as a friend's Sage 379LL (which I covet!), not as much as my own Sage 489-5SP, and certainly not as much as many of my bamboo rods. But for about $110 including shipping, it delivers solidly on the convenience of being able to easily fit into a backpack, light weight, moderate responsive action, good build quality and a reasonable caster. In other words: a good value. In fairness, pairing it with a line that makes it feel good in hand seems to have been a lot less effort for me than it is for you.

I spent several hours on a lowlands lake with it again just last Friday with a WF4 SA floater. It took me a while to get dialed in so I pitched everything from smallish nymphs to big streamers to big bushy dries before finding what the fish would hit. I used a 9' tapered leader with about a foot and a half of 4X tippet and had no problem generating enough line speed to turn over even a big size 8 Doc Spratley or a honkin' adult damsel dry. Sitting in a float tube, the relatively short 8' length meant I'd slap the water periodically if I let my loops sag. But otherwise, the rod felt like a direct extension of my arm.

Before abandoning the CT, I suggest you spend a bit more time trying other lines with the rod, especially 4wts. I wouldn't rule out a non-TT WF5 or a 4-1/2wt GPX. Obviously you don't want to be buying a bunch of lines only to conclude that no line will make the rod feel good in your hands. If you belong to a fishing club, perhaps you could connect with a couple members who'd 'contribute' their 4wt lines in exchange for their feedback about the rod in combination with various lines.

K
  19. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +188 / 0
    You might try a WF line instead of a DT.
  20. Onthedryonly New Member

All right :)) I ll give it some more tries.
    Thanks for the encouragements and advice, they were badly needed.
    I don't belong to any club and it s not really dry fly fishing (or just fly fishing!) country here, but I am sure I ll manage to lay my hands on a wf4. And I won't rule out a 5 either.
    It might have something to do with the DT profile too...
    and, obviously, my lack of practice with this type of action and such a light rod.
    Back to work ;)
    Thanks again for your posts, all of you :)
    Kent Lufkin likes this.