Line Help!

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Armando, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Armando

Armando New Member

I recently purchased a 5wt Redington Prospector Switch rod. I intend to use it mainly for two handed casting in a large lake in Nevada. I bought a Rio Outbound Short with the sink tip for it but had trouble with the integrated running line, it sinks which stops the energy of the cast! I need suggestions for an alternative system. Maybe a running line system with floating and sinking heads? I have read good things about the Wulff Ambush line but can it cast sinking tips?
    I appreciate your feedback!
    Armando

2. RustE

RustE drifting about

What weight Outbound? Were you trying to use it with a water-borne anchor cast? Most folks I know use it for overhead casts.

If the objective is tossing sink tips and big flies, go with a Skagit system. I'm partial to Airflo or Scientific Anglers products.

3. Armando

Armando New Member

Thanks for your reply,
    It's 8wt outbound. The grain window on the rod is 325 +or- 25 grains. I was water hauling it, bringing the line back and shooting it forward. The problem was that the running line sinks and stops the energy.

4. RustE

RustE drifting about

Ah. Would a stripping basket be an option? There should be a lot of DIY variations on the Internet that can be made for under $25.

Curro likes this.
  5. jwg

jwg Active Member

According to Red's fly shop web site, you can put versileader sink tips on the Ambush line.
    here is what they say:
    "The Wulff Ambush Line is one of our favorite fly lines for Switch Rods, we like to go up 2 line weights. i.e - our most common sale is a 7 Weight Switch Rod with a 9 Weight Wulff Ambush fly line. It works very well for both swinging flies and/or indicator nymph fishing as well. One of the nice things about this line is that it cast perfect using a 10' Versileader (poly leader or spey versileader). The Wulff Ambush Line comes with a welded loop on the end that can be attached via loop-to-loop connection to a versileader. The leaders are available in various sink rates and are quite affordable in comparison to traditional sinking tip lines.
    "

Wadecalvin likes this.