Ling cod fly swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Jonathan Tachell, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +187 / 0
    Anyone interested in doing a ling cod and rockfish fly swap? I'm getting stoked for the upcoming ling season and thought it would be cool to tie some big nasty flies. I'm thinking 6 to 8 people due to the size of the flies but if there is enough interest we could add a few more slots. Anyway let me know what you guys think and if you are interested.

The list of people in this swap are as follows:

Jonathan tachell

Chris bellows

Steve knapp

Pat lat

Lap dog

Ben guss

Remember guys there is a 6" minimum on fly length for the swap. If you have any questions pm me.
  2. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +832 / 0
  3. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Cool hopefully we can get enough interest to make this happen. I'm going to be up on the straits and coast again this year. We will have to do some fishing Chris.
  4. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +260 / 3
    I'm in Jonathon, sounds good. Can't wait for May 1st.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +832 / 0
    your swap, but personally i would prefer seeing everyone's big uglies vs. rockfish flies. maybe making a 6" minimum size limit:)

i'm in regardless tying up something big, ugly, with lots of movement... along with heavily weighted.
  6. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +260 / 3
    I second that, I'm tying big and nasty! I'm cool if it's just a couple of us too, no big deal.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    I like it Chris, 6" minimum it is! Ok guys we will give it a few more days to see if anyone else wants to join and if not we can always tie up a couple different patterns since there are only a few of us.
  8. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +822 / 0
    Im in with a giant pacific octopus pattern. A juvenile one of course;)
  9. Lap Dog New Member

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Guys,

I'd like to jump in on this as well. Not sure with what yet, probably some type of big clouser patter if that works.
  10. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +343 / 1
    I want to see the pics of the finished flies. I'd tie but have no idea where to start.
  11. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ok cool we got five people, we will try for one more. Steve if you want to join your more then welcome, just get creative man! I'm stoked to see the octopus fly, I have always thought about how I would tie one up because lings love octopus!
  12. Ben Guss Member

Olympia, WA
    If there is room for one more I'd add a greenling yak hair fly that has been good to me...
    Thanks,
    Ben
  13. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +982 / 1
    Can one of you guys post a picture of a ling cod fly? New to me. Are they as ugly as the fish?
    Thanks,
    Jack
  14. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Alright Ben your in and the last one in the swap. since these flies are big, bulky and heavy i think six people is a good number otherwise shipping will be expensive. The list will be posted on the original post. Since Ling cod season opens up may 1st in most areas lets try and have your five Ling flies of the same pattern sent to me by april 22nd and then I will ship them out to everyone in time for the opener. I will pm everyone with my address in the next day or so.
  15. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +343 / 1
    Thanks,Jonathan. I think I'm too late in answering so that's cool. I'll look forward to seeing the pics. I actually found an 8 " fly that I tied last year for lings and had forgotten about it. Maybe next time.
    Jonathan Tachell likes this.
  16. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Alright guys I tied my first fly for the swap last night. Just have to tie 4 more and then epoxy the heads. Just about a month until the ling cod opener, I can't wait to use my new 12wt and 550 grain coldwater striper line.
  17. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +567 / 0
    I'm gonna be watching this! Good one Jonathan! I look forward to some pics.
  18. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    I finished my five flies tonight and applied the eyes. Now I just have to epoxy the heads and they will be good to go. They came out at a modest 9" in length but look pretty fishy. Can't wait to get back out on the salt and chase some toothy critters.
  19. Ben Guss Member

Olympia, WA
    Jon~
    Got any photos?
  20. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    My camera is not that great at taking close up photos but I will see what I can do. Its a pretty simple pattern that is one of many in my arsenal but it fishes. I will see what I can do about a picture mind you they have not been epoxied yet.